Thermal Paste

ok im gonna need some help with this. ive got a friend who ordered new mb and processor its a 2ghz celeron and it doesn t come with the fan so he went and bought it too and they gave him the thermal paste for it. Now my ? is what is the proper procedure on how to apply this stuff. Ive never had to do it befoe cause ive only built on prebuilt systems. Any tricks or things to look out for? Thanks for any help ya can give me.

i'ts not too hard, actually...just apply the thermal paste onto the die of the cpu, not too thick, yet not too thin. just enough to cover the die, and put on the heatsink.

man i dont know if id use that stuff i would probably buy a good bottle of arctic silver

:withstupid:

yeah hes right. that stuff sucks balls, i would pay the extra 5-10 bucks and get a tube of arctic silver ceramique.

Here's a thought, I'm new here, so I don't have any real advice to give, but the reason I'm here is that these guys are overclockers. All they do is deal with heat. If they say Arctic Silver is the way to go, then Arctic Silver is the way to go. I'm certain they've fried many CPU's on their way to discovering this fact - Arctic Silver is the way to go. :D

• 3 weeks later...
ASC is not really a paste persay. Its more like CLAY Anyways its hard to work with and its good for cooling.

*hasnt fried a CPU, But plans to*

I'll have to agree with you on it's consistency. I just bought some AS Ceramique and applied it to the cpu, found it to be very thick and sticky when compared to AS3, but I didn't find it all that difficult to work with.

go to arctic silver's website they will give u directions on how to apply the compound. its almost the same for all compounds no matter what brand. the way they tell u to do it is far better . you need to fill the heatsink grooves with alittle compound before u mount it to the cpu which should have a thin coat on it. enough to cover the whole cpu top and not soo much that it comes out the sides when the heatsink comes down on top of it.