unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

Hm well I do not know if that helped or not, prime seems to not fail as fast, it takes like 4 seconds now instead of instantly. Something about a FSB higher than 269 makes things go wacko, even if the cpu is under 2Ghz. Over here this guy seemed to have the same problem too http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t73687.html. I've been researching still but so far no luck on what is causing instability. Like someone else said at that link

But, everything has a limit. Your system starts bugging out around 2.4GHz regardless. However, if it's stable at 2.4, that's a 33% OC for that chip. Regardless of what "others" hit, that's impressive.

I'd just like to push it furhur, I have not given up yet, I do appreciate your help.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've read quite a bit of this thread, hard to read it all as if you just read part and try to come back, you lose the flow. I think I want to get a 175, as I want the X11 multi. My board doesn't seem to like the 166 divider at anything over 250 MHz HTT. It will boot using the 180 divider, but that sets too high a speed for my memory. I know I've got Centon in my Sig, but that's just because I'm waiting for my OCZ 2 X 1 GB PC4000 Plat XTC to come back from RMA. Do I have this right, folks tend to buy the 165 as its cheaper than a 175 but usually overclocks well, so why pay more to hit the same speed? Therefore, as I have a specific reason to buy the 175 as opposed to the 165, I should have just as much chance to get a decent overclock as a 165 with the same stepping, right?

I have the opty 175, and i pushed to 2805, with 1/1 divider, i have OCZ PC4000(1024ELGEGXT), i know i can push it even more but i am running on air, saving for vapochill. I also have teamExtreme memory did not use that yet. I love my opty 175. I think you are 100% correct for getting the opty 175. Let me know how much you pushed your opty. Good Lcuk.

I had a CCBWE 0607 Opty 165 that just wouldn't budge above 2.7 no matter what I did.Sold it and got a CCBBE 0610DPMW that's dual Prime stable @3ghz.

From what Iv'e seen most of the CCBWE's will do 2.6 or so.Maybe the secondary timings need more tweaking.

Well, I've read quite a bit of this thread, hard to read it all as if you just read part and try to come back, you lose the flow. I think I want to get a 175, as I want the X11 multi. My board doesn't seem to like the 166 divider at anything over 250 MHz HTT. It will boot using the 180 divider, but that sets too high a speed for my memory. I know I've got Centon in my Sig, but that's just because I'm waiting for my OCZ 2 X 1 GB PC4000 Plat XTC to come back from RMA. Do I have this right, folks tend to buy the 165 as its cheaper than a 175 but usually overclocks well, so why pay more to hit the same speed? Therefore, as I have a specific reason to buy the 175 as opposed to the 165, I should have just as much chance to get a decent overclock as a 165 with the same stepping, right?

Actually meant to type that my 166 divider doesn't work over 300 MHz. That's why I think I need the X11 Multi, so I can run a lower HTT with the 180 divider, or even 1:1, though that is doubtful with the current crop of PC4000 memory. Just waiting for the right price now I think.