unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jmvtec,

workin on it--thanks for that link :) I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 (just added it to my sig).

Ah NW-- I know it well--in close at Rancho and even further out around Sun City ;) I'll get back there one of these days.

Thanks again for your help--have a Happy (and Safe!) New Years!

Nik

RMA the chip. i had the same stepping and couldn't get mine over 2.55GHZ to save my live. tried up to 1.40 + 1.13%

i'll be getting my new one today, looking for the newer 0546 stepping.

How to RMA the chip while it still working????

I just got my 165 in and installed it. Of course I was so excited that I slapped it in my rig without writing down the serial (pretty bad, I know). I'm running Ballistix 2x512 and am using the conservative settings as per the "official OC guide" in regards to TCCD mem. Isolated, they run to about 265 with these settings and I don't want to loosen timings much more (of note CPC enabled, Interleave enabled, skew auto). Alone, I can easily get my 165 up to 2.6 with 1.35 + 1.1% with load temp about 45 both cores loaded prime for about 1 hour.

My problem is that I'm unable to use ANY mem dividers except 1:1 (200) or 1:2 (100). I read that some don't like the 180 or 166 settings, so I tried steppin it down ratio wise even futher, but no dice until 100! Therefore, at this point I'm running at only 2.34 Ghz (260x9).

When I drop the divider, I can post, get into bios, but when it tries to launch windows, I just restarts and goes back to the post screen, try again and repeat. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make my computer stable while using dividers? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

melt5, if you have it at 245x10 then your chip is already performing at the level of an $800+ chip, I really don't see this as reason enough to RMA. Yes, it's true that some chips clock a lot better, but some may do worse, either way you've got the equivelant of AMD's flagship dual-core for half the price. RMA's eventually turn into a loss for the merchant which translate to higher prices for everyone else and you too the next time you buy from them.

As for some advice for your processor, check out this forum at xtremesystems and the forum they link to in the first post.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...=burn+processor

It talks about burning in a processor to allow it clock higher or keep the same overclock at a lower voltage, a lot of people report that it's a valid method of improving the max clock, it's at least worth a shot.

Are these steps necessary? I didn't do these and don't seem to have any problems. Any information or suggestions would be great. Thanks...

They are if you want a stable system. I thought my system was stable also. I ran prime for 12 hours and not one single error and thought all was well. Soon when i started using it with my audio applications I found weird stuff happening. Read the full thread at xtremes systems, these fixes have most evidently helped stability when running games also. I highly recommend doing it.

what does the bios read at 1.568v...

also where in FL, I live in Tampa..nicer weather than Cincinnati

I didn't look at what the BIOS reads becuase it's not always accurate. What you input as the setting should be damn close to what you are getting.

Actually, I'm in the Tampa/St Pete area visiting my in-laws.

i got a 165 , step: 0546MPMW...is this a good clocker? anyone using this? can share ur settings? i want push it to ta max without adding voltage.... anyone got some guides or hints for me to get started?fsb,ram timing,etc....

i'm running on a dfi n-force 4 ultra 6 6-23 bios couple with 2 512mb ocz platinium pc3200 rev2 rams....

thanks in advance~

I have the same cpu and stepping. It appears to be a very nice OCer. However, there are some things I've noticed. 2.5ghz seems to be the max I can get on stock voltage and semi stable. After that larger and larger amounts of juice are required to get each additional 100mhz. It becomes a matter of how much are you willing to stress your cpu to get those few exrtra 100mhz.

With these stepping and my systems cooling I'm gonna run it at 2.5ghz because it seems to be the sweet spot since it only requires bumping the voltage like up .05v to get it prime stable.

Best start is to see how far yours will go on stock voltage without erroring out fast on prime. 2.4-2.5 is realistic. This is a good way to determine the immediate capabilities of the chip.

Oh, one more thing.... keep your ram at around stock speed while OCing the cpu initially. after you get the cpu where you want it and it passes prime 6-12hours straight then up your RAM to it's stable OC speed.

melt5, if you have it at 245x10 then your chip is already performing at the level of an $800+ chip, I really don't see this as reason enough to RMA. Yes, it's true that some chips clock a lot better, but some may do worse, either way you've got the equivelant of AMD's flagship dual-core for half the price. RMA's eventually turn into a loss for the merchant which translate to higher prices for everyone else and you too the next time you buy from them.

As for some advice for your processor, check out this forum at xtremesystems and the forum they link to in the first post.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...=burn+processor

It talks about burning in a processor to allow it clock higher or keep the same overclock at a lower voltage, a lot of people report that it's a valid method of improving the max clock, it's at least worth a shot.

Many thanks....... will try to work it out....THANKS

Guest ElAguila

I haven't seen many people getting the opty 170. Did most opt for either the 165(high fsb) or the 175(11 multi)? I have a 170 that will be here on Wednesday. I will let you know how it does.