unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

Thanks, Contrariedad,

for SuperPi that's about what I get, but my temperatures skyrocketed when dual-priming so for now I decided I first get my watercooling going.

The default Vcore of these chips is 1.3 Volts. You probably don't want to jerk more than 1.55 into them.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

danny5, please let us know the production code on your 165 when you get it, $280 is the best deal for a 165 right now, and if it's 0546 i'll definitely pick one up.

Will do. The chip is sitting at a Fedex depot 10 miles away from me, but the tracking page says I will net get it until Wednesday. I really think it will be here tomorrow though.

With the price changes, I suspect it will be different (perhaps) a new stepping from what has been around.

Ofcourse, nobody knows if that will be good or bad.

Will do. The chip is sitting at a Fedex depot 10 miles away from me, but the tracking page says I will net get it until Wednesday. I really think it will be here tomorrow though.

Same here...FedEx tracking is the pits.

Thanks for the data Contrariedad...very helpful. Mine should be here tomorrow or Wednesday.

Because these systems are destined for business use, I'm considering not overclocking them to the max (2800 to 2850 range) and instead sticking to something more conservative.

I primed the DFI rig lastnight on both cores running 2.6 GHz at 1.4 volts. 8 hours later both cores are happy and still priming away. The CPU temp is moving around in the 42C to 46C range (mostly at 43C) but as I mentioned in my last post, the CPU fan is low CFM and the room temp is 74C or so.

The PWMIC temp is rather high as well at 64C and the chipset temp is 47C with the stock cooler. These temps aren't really surprising, though, with not a whole lot of case cooling.

Because these systems are destined for business use, I'm considering not overclocking them to the max (2800 to 2850 range) and instead sticking to something more conservative.

I primed the DFI rig lastnight on both cores running 2.6 GHz at 1.4 volts. 8 hours later both cores are happy and still priming away. The CPU temp is moving around in the 42C to 46C range (mostly at 43C) but as I mentioned in my last post, the CPU fan is low CFM and the room temp is 74C or so.

The PWMIC temp is rather high as well at 64C and the chipset temp is 47C with the stock cooler. These temps aren't really surprising, though, with not a whole lot of case cooling.

Room temp of 74c?! Are you in a sauna or something?

Room temp of 74c?! Are you in a sauna or something?

Hehe, if I were, I'd probably use some P4's to provide all my heat! Umm, yeah, lame joke. You know, 'cause Intel runs way hot these days. Uhhh, yeah.

Actually, I meant 74F. I guess 72C would be really, really hot. Even my wife, who likes the house warm, would probably thinks that's a little too warm (given that that's 165F).

I did live in South America for 2 years and in the hottest place I was, temps hit 50C (122F) during hot summer days. :)

danny5, please let us know the production code on your 165 when you get it, $280 is the best deal for a 165 right now, and if it's 0546 i'll definitely pick one up.

Got it today, but I have no time to install it yet.

Here is the stepping:

CCBWE 0546MPMW