PSU Brands to Avoid!

davidhammock200

I wouldn't go with a modular, its better to work hidding all the cables than to have a real problem later. If your PP 680w is the one with 50amps in the 5v rail, then I suggest you start looking for a stronger substitute. I don't think its healthy for the hardware in SLI mode to try the TT psu... but its your choice.

The Enermax Liberty series had some mixed user critics, some hated it while some loved it... I am not sure its a bad one yet. I am currently using the FSP Group Epsilon 700w and thats a huge PSU, I totally recomend it. You could also go crazy and get a PC Power & Cooling 850w or 1kw models... with either one of these you shouldn't need power again, but maybe it is also healthy to know the supplies' limitations before going nuts and grab a huge thing like those.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with that list is that the majority of those power supplies are made by the same companies, under different brands/ power ratings. OCz, Antec, Enermax, and all kinds of major players will outsource their production to real companies, who make both good and/or cheap powersupplies.

Thermaltake are almost all trash, I have seen more dead thermaltakes than all others combined, and they usually claim the highest wattage out of their units, and they operate hot, die young.

Deer, Aspire, Ultra, and Thermaltake are usally bad quality, but they do have their odd ball good ones too.

my 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply. The Epsilon 700w sounds like it might be the ticket. The others are a little out of my budget. The 680w I have is the earlier model like yours. Up till now no problems, but I dont want to risk it when I go SLI. I guess I gotta start working some overtime... ;)

The Epsilon 600w is nearly identical to the 700w, only diference is the output of all 4 rails combined... which for real world will only matter if you overclock to the max and have hardware beyond normal specs: dual core, two 512mb cards, a ton of fans/hdd/cd/dvd-rw. The 600w model cost less and could be a less expensive option.

Any particular reason for Aerocool to be on this list? I was considering their modular 550W Turbine one to go into the Stacker 830 I just got. Now I'm having second thoughts. Meets power requirements, looks good, nice cables. I'd buy one before I ever bought an Antec, that much I know for sure lol. I welcome all comments.

I had one of these, after a week the rear fan broke as it was that loose on its bearings it rubbed up against the rear grill I couldnt be bothered to return it just for that and had a replacement fan and then after two months the PSU packed up completely.

Any particular reason for Aerocool to be on this list? I was considering their modular 550W Turbine one to go into the Stacker 830 I just got. Now I'm having second thoughts. Meets power requirements, looks good, nice cables. I'd buy one before I ever bought an Antec, that much I know for sure lol. I welcome all comments.

http://www.aerocool.us/p-psu/Turbine%20Power/turbine-psu.htm

I had one of these and after two weeks the rear fan broke as it was rubbing on the rear grill then two months late the PSU packed in. It looks nice but there was a kind of cheap build to it.

Now I have a Jeantech Aerocool 600W (no relation to above) and the build is a world away from the Aereocool.us PSU I had before. Its solid and well designed.

You get what you pay for I guess.

Thanks for the list.

I can however report that my Aspire ATX-AS520W 12V has been working flawlessly since I got it with rock stable voltages. Perhaps mine is a fluke then? ;)

There are always exceptions to the rule.

And sometimes the PSUs only last for a short while.

Glad it's working for you but if issues occur you know where to start looking.

Another thank you.

It helps eliminate a crowded list.

I was surprised to see Deer on it. E-Machines uses them in a lot of pre-built retail rigs. They sounded very quiet to me...which impressed...until someone pointed out you get a lot of white noise in big stores that drown out their real sound.

Saddened to see another contributor to this thread indicate Young Year produce garbage. I got one of these with a machine I had custom built. Came in a Glenware case which are superbly well made...some of the best cases I think. Too bad.

I am guessing a lot of different brands come out of the same plants...maybe YoungYear makes Antec...who knows?

http://www.youngyear.com/english/web/

• 1 month later...

I'm jumping in from a ways back here... R4z threw me this thread as a result of my posting on Micromart forum about an ish with the DFI build (bro posted on here under his own name), sorted now. It involved a 500w Eagle "TruePower equivalent" which seems incredibly lame for the rating. Surprised to see Thermaltake here, they're so respected for other kit. Not heard much about Jeantech, they supply likes of Maplin and eBuyer over here (UK).

we don't have psu's on this list for any reason other than major complaints or problems we have seen running DFI systems.

While a psu on this list may work well for you, wise builders take the combined experience of this forum and tech support into consideration before complaining about any psu's on this list

ie: if it is on this list, it isn't worthy to power a DFI system

period

it may work flawlessly for you, but for every one flawless instance, there are 10+ bad instances (and bad usually indicates burned psu or worse, burned periphials from one of these psu's, especially the Aspires and Ultra-X)