PSU Brands to Avoid!

davidhammock200

You can do much better than a ModStream. If you ever go highend SLI, a ModStream will not be enough.

Sorry I took so long to reply. I will upgrade the PSU when I do my next system. The next board will probably be a DFI AM2 series MOBO.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
I'd buy an Aerocool before I ever bought an Antec, that much I know for sure lol.

What exactly was funny? Antec isn't on the "Beware" list.... the saying that if you can afford to do something a second time, you should have done it right the first time applies more than ever here- many a crap power supply has wiped out the entire rig it was powering. I had a lowly XP2400+, Asus mobo, 1GB RAM, DVD-ROM, two HDDs, and an MX4000 video card powering my GF's work computer, it drew maybe what, 100W tops? It had one of the 3.7oz, 250W (MAYBE 25W?!?! LOL) PSUs that came with the $9.99 case they already had, and I figured it would be fine since there was nearly no load. 14 months later, the PSU went BZZZZZT, started flaming, and fried every component in the box. Everything. And so 2 years of business records went "POOF" (that was before she was an avid backup fan :P). So, that $4 PSU cost well over $300 to replace the crap it baked. Take the advice, don't learn the hard, miserable, expensive way.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is a bit old but people are obviously reading it like myself etc

one thing i have to say is every power supply ever made is not fool proof.

what works or goes bad for one person might be different for someone else.

Not naming any names but some peoples comments on here are very one sided and childish at times. i for one have been building my own pc's for a pretty long time and i have had some so called big name power supplys go bad. doesnt mean i will slate them and never use them again or advise anyone else to avoid them, if there is a known compatability issue then yes fine advise people. i bought a seasonic S12 600W in the past for my DR-Expert and after my mobo blew DFI themselves told me at that time there were issues with some models of seasonics and the Expert, so i changed it. doesnt make seasonic psu's bad its just life. i read in a previous post that a few people do not like TT psu's. i for one have the TR2 500W with PFC and it has been spot on since day 1.

its currently running:

Amd x2 4800+ (939)

Dfi DR-Expert

2 gig OCZ platinum EL 3200

2 x XFX 7600GT in sli

2 x maxtor 200 gig sata II hdds

2 x WD 120 Sata II in raid 0

1 x 500 gig WD Sata II

SB XFI Fatal1ty

2x 20x Liteon LH 20AS1 Sata DVDRW

All in a antec 900 case with all the fans going.

most bits that can be OC'd are with some pretty nice results.

i run lots of games from CoH to bf2142 to Crysis even plenty of benchmark stuff and its been flawless.

its getting a G92 8800GT on friday and im pretty confident this psu will power it and still run great.

i dont condone psu's like qtec colours IT and other 10 quid jobbies. or free ones that come with your 29.99 case thats just asking for trouble,

Got the 8800GT and its running great over 10k in 3d mark 06 and im well chuffed