PSU Brands to Avoid!

davidhammock200

Ok ok! Geez why must things like this always lead to someone developing a truculent attitude? I have emailed this thread to Aspire and challenged them to respond. I have also emailed several of the websites that put such rave reviews on this Power Supply. Seems funny that when I am given excuses like " Your power supply is half as heavy as a Antec" and that is supposed to be one of the MAIN signs to a decent power supply is weight, then I show a fact, it weighs 5 lbs then I start getting very negative responses. I mean really look at this from my point of view. I am just stating A.what I have seen from many many other websites (they are ALL biased?) B.I compare known facts to see if what people are saying lines up.

I have seen that people have asked if xx voltage in smart guardian is acceptable and seen them told "yeah thats fine" and mine is the same or better.

I have been told that heavy is better (Which makes sense btw) then found out that a 550 watt on the "approved" list weighs the same as my 500 watt.

Then when I challenge someones opinion it I start getting your power supply is crap! remarks. Please dont take this the wrong way. I am no Power Supply expert, nor do I claim to be. I am just trying to make sure the facts are facts. I am of the personality type that when you say my power supply is crap I will challenge that an make sure. In fact if someone can tell me how I would love to get one of those meters and test this thing to see if it sucks or not. I think that would be fun and interesting to do. Can anyone tell me what I need and what to do? Thanks and please be kind I am not saying anyone here is stupid, I just like to learn and am a hands on type of person. :)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok ok! Geez why must things like this always lead to someone developing a truculent attitude? I have emailed this thread to Aspire and challenged them to respond. I have also emailed several of the websites that put such rave reviews on this Power Supply. Seems funny that when I am given excuses like " Your power supply is half as heavy as a Antec" and that is supposed to be one of the MAIN signs to a decent power supply is weight, then I show a fact, it weighs 5 lbs then I start getting very negative responses. I mean really look at this from my point of view. I am just stating A.what I have seen from many many other websites (they are ALL biased?) B.I compare known facts to see if what people are saying lines up.

I have seen that people have asked if xx voltage in smart guardian is acceptable and seen them told "yeah thats fine" and mine is the same or better.

I have been told that heavy is better (Which makes sense btw) then found out that a 550 watt on the "approved" list weighs the same as my 500 watt.

Then when I challenge someones opinion it I start getting your power supply is crap! remarks. Please dont take this the wrong way. I am no Power Supply expert, nor do I claim to be. I am just trying to make sure the facts are facts. I am of the personality type that when you say my power supply is crap I will challenge that an make sure. In fact if someone can tell me how I would love to get one of those meters and test this thing to see if it sucks or not. I think that would be fun and interesting to do. Can anyone tell me what I need and what to do? Thanks and please be kind I am not saying anyone here is stupid, I just like to learn and am a hands on type of person. :)

The attitude you recieve is one of great experience and knowledge about the failures of the PSU you are talking about...In order to test the PSU, you could use a Digital Multimeter you can find a Radio Shack or Home Depot, or Lowes....most local hardware stores...A good oscillascope is probably harder to find....

You will find that most Reviews are probably not testing the same hardware that you are using, thus different responses from different hardware...Experiences by numerous individuals coming into this forum and finding out the PSU they have, like or want is not up to par, is not an unusual thing.

You talk about the weight of a powersupply being the sure sign of a good PSU, we arent dealing with car audio, large heavy magnets and copper coils are not going to be found in a small PSU, so weight is not a definative method of determining how well a PSU might perform, although it can be a an indicator of the quality of the parts within the PSU. Take the OCZ GamerXtreme for Example probably the lightest PSU I have ever owned, and yet the most recommended.

Taking your questions to ASPIRE will result in nothing but further confusion and claims that their PSUs are of a higher quality that what is acutally seen in the real world. I find that most online reviews are poorly done, and what would a person doing a review get if they said a Company's PSU was Crap...Nothing, No online review is going to say outright that this product or any product for that matter is Crap...I imagine if they made such a statement all of the little freebies they may get would disappear very quickly...

If you do test the PSU with a multimeter, test it under Full loads... the OCZ support forum should show pictures of how to check the rails on a PSU...

All in all you have to understand that almost every single day someone comes into the forum asking why the system doesnt post, or why this and that happen...And normally the source will be an under powered PSU, or a PSU that makes claims it cant live up too. If the PSU isnt up to par nothing will run properly..its as simple as that.

Ok, just trying to find out if I need to get a new one. I have spent a ton on this system and dont have a lot left. :)

Hey as long as it works don't worry about it. :) That said, if you have random system crashes or instability thats the first place I'd look.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Aspire says actually, as well as review sites. Hell, maybe they don't know they suck. :)

Yeah, the new circuit design on the Epsilon and the GamerXStream doesn't require bigger coils and capacitors like the old power supplies... I guess taking this into consideration the weight diference should be measured in at least two cathegories: the old non Epsilon/GamerXStream psu's and the Epsilon/GamerXStream psu's.

Guest Halvis
All DFI customers should avoid these PSU's! :nod:

PSU Brands to Avoid!

Quote:

Some of these PSU's are dangerous to your system, some are just sub-standard,

however NONE can be recommended, for high performance or over-clocked systems.

Achieve

Aerocool

Allied

Apex

Aspire > Dangerous! They don't even pretend to meet the ATX/AMD/Intel specs!

Austin

Codegen

Colorsit

Coolmax

Demon

Deer

Duro

Dynapower

Eagle

EagleTech

Foxlink

InWin (except FSP models)

JustPC

Kingwin

L&C

Logic

Linkworld

MGE

Mustang

Power-Man (except FSP models)

Powmax

Power-Up

Powerstar

q-tec

Raidmax (except Topower/Tagan models, not sold with cases)

Robanton

Rosewill

Thermaltake (except the Thermaltake W0057 PurePower 500W)

Turbo

Turbolink

Ultra (except X-Finity)

Some of these PSU's are dangerous to your system, some are just sub-standard,

however NONE can be recommended, for high performance or over-clocked systems.

All DFI customers should avoid these PSU's!

Dave

Dave :angel:

Thanks Dave! :) I was wondering if, since we have so many "stickies" already, if this list could be merged with your post on the RECOMMENDED PSU post on page one... with big red letters "NOT RECOMMENDED"... just a thought.

Guest Halvis

Well we see it TIME and TIME again, (like today) and this thread may be many pages back. just a thought.:)