Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

Guest LithoTech
Oh, Folding@Home is VERY intense. =) But isn't the Prime test single threaded? If so, people probably need to run 1x per core for real stability testing....

That is correct sir!

From Thraxz's OCDB entry:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...6&postcount=214

His Prime screenshot:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14312480999.jpg&s=f5

You can see two instances on P95.

By the way, this is probably a noob questions, but I is one. How do I adjust the CPU core coltage w/ this mobo? It seems that I'm stuck at this CPU speed w/o upping the volts.

I'm not familiar with your exact mobo/bios, but it should be in the same page as the cpu/htt speed and multiplier settings. All the voltages are there.

Here is a pic of my bios settings with the voltages, yours should be fairly similar unless I am completely mistaken:

biosvolts6xj.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LithoTech
I haven't done any folding, perhaps those other programs are equally intensive.

Folding is plenty intensive. The problem is for using it as a stability or stress test, there is no indicator if/when there is a problem.

There is really only two things it will do if it poops out for any reason.

1) If it finds that the info is corrupt or problems of some sort, instead of uploading the results, it will toss out the work unit info when finished and proceed onto the next work unit. This after some days of working on it! You will loose your work unit!

2) It will simply cease to work on it's work unit. The only time I've noticed this is after a work unit was finished, it failed to start a new work unit.

3) If using a monitoring program like Electron Microscope, it can give error warnings. But I've found these warnings to be 100% erroneous so far. Simply restarting the monitor cleared it, and there was nothing wrong with the folding core.

For loading the cpu, Folding is great. It generates plenty of heat, as much as most other stressing apps.

It allows you to use the computer for other things, even intensive tasks because the folding program is set to low priority and will give up its cpu cycles to anything else that needs it. Even games. For the most part, this is true. I've seen tests showing only a frame or two per second drop in some games with F@H running in the background. For me, in practical experience, this is false. Possibly because the other app is also set to low priority, I don't recall exactly. Suffice it to say that my experiences showed otherwise and I shut off F@H when I need to game or do other intensive tasks.

You get points for doing it. Just think how popular P95 would be if people got points for running it. All of a sudden you would see Primes of 240 hours, not 8!!

LOL.

Guest LithoTech
Litho...

You are right sir...I stopped the test at 3 hours and bumped the Vcore to 1.47V. I forgot about that little tidbit of info until I read the previous posts. Now I will see if it will go all night. Actually I am now at 2970 frequency and running about 44C load.

Thanks for the heads-up.

J

Whew! Glad you caught it quick! Glad to be of help! It's nice when new knowledge comes in handy so soon after learning it. :D

I noticed that Prime will let you know if there are problems, so I now see why so many use it to test. You're right, F@H has no such feed back; only if it crashes or not, so prime is probably a better true "test."

I still reccomend F@H to everyone on here when they're not needing all of their monster CPU cycles! It is a really good project. You can join my teamid = 35690 if you want, I'd like the added help. Only ones on my team right now are my own machines I have around the house.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.p...e&teamnum=35690

Perhaps the indication something was wrong with Folding@Home is when the system crashes :)

Prime95, dual Prime95 actually, is very intensive... but I have seen 4 hours free of errors and still can't complete dual 32M SuperPi calculations sometimes. Like all the benchmark/test software Prime95 is more intensive at some things while softer on others; this is why system is ok with certain games while it isn't with others: it is not 100% stable. Thats why 8+ hours is the standar test length.

To be honest I pretty much know when the system is or is not stable, Prime95 or the others just tell me if I am right or wrong. Tinny diferences when loading windows or other aplications, stuff you see hundreds of times... you have to be sensitive to certain changes :cool:

I still reccomend F@H to everyone on here when they're not needing all of their monster CPU cycles! It is a really good project. You can join my teamid = 35690 if you want, I'd like the added help. Only ones on my team right now are my own machines I have around the house.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.p...e&teamnum=35690

Two things stop me from joinging Folding@Home:

1.- I am not comfortable leaving the system doing hard work while I am not around... lets just say I have seen bad things happen this way :sweat:

2.- The cost of a kw/h over here is huge... and my main system use a lot of kw/h

I wonder how much does the electric bill cost to you guys in the US and elsewhere :confused:

I'm just waiting in anticipation - I should have the last components needed to start the new build by tuesday or wednesday!! :) Should have some results to post by this time next week.

been looking for info on bioses that might work well to OC my soon-to-be-assembled rig.. see this thread

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55604

Are there any particular bios versions that the Opty doesnt like (or does like, for that matter) Just looking for some feed back

Hey Sorrento,

I started this thread because I am also curious as to what people from other countries are paying for electricity

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...1101#post501101

I dont keep my computer on all the time when I'm not around either.