Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The use of the word "stepping" in this thread is kind of a bastardization of the term. Technically, you are correct, the stepping is E4 (versus E3 or E6 for Venice, etc.). However, the second line of text printed on the IHS is commonly referred to as the week/stepping. There is probably a more accurate term, but stepping works well enough. Sorry for the confusion.

so does this mean that E4 = CABNE, CABYE, CAB2E and CABGE ?

Guest akahai

Anyone got the new 144? stepping CAB1E 0614 BPBW (not exactly sure about the last four letters) I got it to run 320MHZ FSB with stock volt on my SLI-DR, want to know if anyone try it????

Opteron 165 CCBWE 0551 VPMW

Doesn't seem to want to go above 2.55 w/ 1.55V.

AMD64 TCaseMax - v1.19

----------------------

CPU Information (CPU #1):

Standard CPUID: Family: F, Model: 3, Stepping: 2

Extended CPUID: Family: F, Model: 23, Stepping: 2

CPUID String: 20F32

Processor APIC: 0

Processor: Dual Core AMD Opteron 165 (Toledo)

CPU Speed: 2520.67 (280.07 x 9.0)

Revision: JH9-E6

Platform: Socket 939

Startup VCore: 1.350v

Maximum Case Temperature = 49C

TDP: 35.0 Watts

I just put in my new Opteron 144 CAB1E and had a quick question. I had it running at 2.7 Ghz (300x9) on stock voltage for a while and it's been running great. To cool it down a bit more, I've dropped the voltage to 1.26 volts, and it's still running great (and much cooler). Is there a minimum safe voltage? I'm guessing I'm not going to damage anything by going too low, but I just want to be 100% sure. I would assume it would just become unstable. I love this chip!!

I don't think anything is damaged because the current also drops when you lower the voltage, so all the inner circuits are safe.

The only problem I can think of is when using high voltage RAM, something to do with the memory controller inside the CPU needing a balance voltage as well... but if using RAM with a high voltage of 2.8v shouldn't be a problem... and this is just a theory of course.

Guest LithoTech
I don't think anything is damaged because the current also drops when you lower the voltage, so all the inner circuits are safe.

The only problem I can think of is when using high voltage RAM, something to do with the memory controller inside the CPU needing a balance voltage as well... but if using RAM with a high voltage of 2.8v shouldn't be a problem... and this is just a theory of course.

Thunda just pointed this out to me in the OCDB discussion thread:

Be carefull when pumping so much vdimm while leaving your vcore at stock.. There is a thread at XS where Tony from OCZ said that its bad for the cpu to run such high vdimms with very low vcore.. It has something to do with the memory controller I think..

Here is the thread !

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79509

It should only come into play when running ram with more than 3.2 volts. So basically, if you flip the voltage jumper and have a newer cpu with low voltage, bump the vcore up a bit to strengthen the memory controller diodes, thereby protecting it from the extra current coming from the ram.

The link is a scary but good read. Frightening topic for sure! :sweat:

I think AMD should have this documemnted better, somewhere. There are a lot of BH-5 kits out there, and a lot of people running very nice overclocks with stock voltages. The chips lately, Opteron especially, don't scale very well with voltage, but clock very fast on stock voltage. Hence, this problem is undoubtfully getting more common because more and more people are able to achieve clockspeed goals without increasing vcore.

So I used to run with stock vcore of 1.4v and the vdimm at 3.3v. In this setup, I've bumped the vcore to 1.45 or 1.5 with very little heat increase under load.

In certain circumstances/setups, I've found that bumping the vcore, even a little bit has produced errors in memtest where stock vcore has been rock solid. So otherwise, I would simply resign myself to runing a notch above stock at all times.

Just installed brand new OEM 144 opty purchased new off of ebay ($131 shipped). Priming right now at 325HTT (2.925FSB) 1.37Vcore. Using a modified 406 bios. The only changes after resetting bios (was using a A64 3200+ that I could never get above 2.6Ghz, NBBWE stepping) was to manually set the timings (2226) and Vdimm to 3.5, disabled some peripherals, manually set the Vcore to 1.4V and cranked it up to 325HTT. Mem is running on the 166 divider at 266FSB. Load temp is 41C via smartguardian.

Prime has been running 2hrs...hopefully it will run over night then I'll get down to some serious tweaking.

The person that sold me this CPU has 29 left but she won't tell me if they are all the same stepping. This one is very good so far.