Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=82890

been priming for about 14 hours now 1.61v 46c , just wish i could get the ram to 1:1. anything above ~260 1:1 it wont load windows :( UCCC, i have some GeIL Ultra Plat DDR533 2x512, i might try that just to

sorry to say, but UCCC is real hit and miss. ive seen people stuck at 260 and other flying at 285. ive seen 300 once, but those were hand picked.

try some of my settings and see if they work for you

a64.JPG

max async latency/read preamble @ auto in BIOS

DRAM drive strength and DRAM data drive strength @ 7/3

good luck!

Guest LithoTech
I always wanted to know that... and also what is hot and what is super hot :confused:

My Platinum Rev2, even being low voltage ram, got "very hot": 42º C average measured with an IR Thermometer. That type of ram is "cooler" than BH5 or VX modules, so are we talking about higher temperatures then?

I think 42C isn't very hot at all, at least not hot to the touch, would be quite warm though. Hot to the touch would be in the 50C range. Please correct me if I am wrong, this is pure speculation.

Mind if I ask, at the risk of being off topic, kind of IR Thermometer are you using?

I was looking at one while buying some materials and supplies at the electronics supplier yesterday, it was on sale for (I think) $69-Canadian Beaver-Bucks!

I'm curious if that price is good or not. I'll dig up the exact model and make from their website. Pretty sure this is the one, regular $88, on sale for $69:

http://www.rpelectronics.com/Default.asp?M...Items/IR-88.asp

I won't ask if it is worth the money, because I've already filed it in the back of my mind as a must have wish-list item. Not just for overclocking and checking temps on my own system, but for checking new builds or upgraded systems for clients. I think it would be an awesome tool for my toolbox, letting me check temps instantly and without having to install any diagnostic software on the clients system. I can simply take a reading and say "There, your cpu is running at over 50C while at idle, now lets see what it reads after I clean all the dust-gunk out of your heatsink!"

I might get this sooner rather than later, depending on how good a deal $69 is. I've built up some savings again to invest in this system and my business, but I'd rather put the money into a second sata HD or a 2gb mem kit, and save this thermometer for later. But getting acurate temps by pointing a device and pressing a button, is very enticing indeed!

Well after doing a 8 hour CMOS clear it seems my the motherboard recognized the correct speed on the Opteron 144 :D I was able to hit 2.88 yesterday with a voltage of 1.425 and had the memory around ~240. When I get home from work I'm going to try to get the memory to around 255-260 and tweak it a bit.

It ran Prime95 last night for a good hour or so on the "Toture Test" setting but I started to see the processors temp rise above 52 C. I think I'm going to leave it at 2.7ghz and lower the voltage to 1.4v and leave it there until I buy a scythe ninja or some other aftermarket cooler that's better than what I have now :nod:

The processor seems to have more leg room. I'm thinking around 2.9-3.0 ghz with 1.425 may be the limit.

Don't know if this thread is for single core opty's, but I've got my Opty 170 @ 2500 250x10, chuggin' along in prime right now. :)

2500mhzprime958eb.th.jpg

Hopefully it'll pass 8 hours of prime, and I'll post it to the OC Database if that's the case.

This is with stock AMD cooler @ stock volts. :)

EDIT: I already have a fan over the PWMIC area. Is this temperature a little too hot for the PWMIC or is it ok. It hasn't budged from that temperature since about 5 minutes into Prime, so atleast the temperature isn't rising... How about CPU temps? Are they ok, or should I get better cooling? I havn't applied AS5 yet either, I wanted to see how far this chip could go on stock before moving to some better TIM.

Also, when I set these clocks, I set the LDT Voltage @ 1.3v. Do you guys think I need that much voltage on it? That seems to have effected the PWMIC temperature, because when it was 1.2v it was about 5-10c Cooler. Input appreciated. Thanks guys. :)

Also, since my last screen shot the PWMIC temp has rose to 54C but CPU has been pretty much staying the same temp the entire time. Chipset temp is @ 47C right now too, so if these temps are too high, I'll stop Priming and try to get my cooling straightened out. So far everything is running stable.

EDIT 2:

Here's an update, as you can temps have rose a little bit since the last screenshot, but Prime is still going strong.

2500mhzprime9528xz.th.jpg

I think 42C isn't very hot at all, at least not hot to the touch, would be quite warm though. Hot to the touch would be in the 50C range. Please correct me if I am wrong, this is pure speculation.

Mind if I ask, at the risk of being off topic, kind of IR Thermometer are you using?

I was looking at one while buying some materials and supplies at the electronics supplier yesterday, it was on sale for (I think) $69-Canadian Beaver-Bucks!

I'm curious if that price is good or not. I'll dig up the exact model and make from their website. Pretty sure this is the one, regular $88, on sale for $69:

http://www.rpelectronics.com/Default.asp?M...Items/IR-88.asp

I won't ask if it is worth the money, because I've already filed it in the back of my mind as a must have wish-list item. Not just for overclocking and checking temps on my own system, but for checking new builds or upgraded systems for clients. I think it would be an awesome tool for my toolbox, letting me check temps instantly and without having to install any diagnostic software on the clients system. I can simply take a reading and say "There, your cpu is running at over 50C while at idle, now lets see what it reads after I clean all the dust-gunk out of your heatsink!"

I might get this sooner rather than later, depending on how good a deal $69 is. I've built up some savings again to invest in this system and my business, but I'd rather put the money into a second sata HD or a 2gb mem kit, and save this thermometer for later. But getting acurate temps by pointing a device and pressing a button, is very enticing indeed!

Actually they are hot since I was just feeding them 2.6v... at 2.8v and 270 mhz the RAM was even hotter.

Like you said 42º C isn't "hot" at all... its warm actually, but since the heatspreaders are made out of copper they are very hot to touch. Not sure if I am clear... it is as if they were warmer than what I expected, and copper has diferent heat transfer qualities than other material including aluminum.

The IR Thermometer I have is a small Radioshack which I have compared to a very exact mercury thermometer and one from Sharper Image; this last one is the one I use to measure room temperature. The IR isn't a "Nasa spec" thermometer, and to be honest these Nasa guys aren't very reliable at all on their own... I just think the little devise is an excellent tool to avoid any guessing of how hot are surfaces in the system.

As for that IR thermometer you are buying... awww, I want one like that one!!! :drool: Mine is a very tinny and cheap $29.95 dlls thermometer, it does the job very well but to be honest I need to have a regular thermometer at hand to make sure the readings are still acurate; it has never failed, but the thing is so cheap I always have doubts.

Also, yes it is a very good overclocking tool... as well as a tool for other jobs.

just a quick question:

i know that if i can prime and it goes like 8+ hours then its considered stable, but what if go and try to browse the internet while priming and it gives me errors.

is it because im trying to use the cpu/mem while its priming thats causing the errors? im also priming with a priority of 9 too.

Guest LithoTech
Well after doing a 8 hour CMOS clear it seems my the motherboard recognized the correct speed on the Opteron 144 :D I was able to hit 2.88 yesterday with a voltage of 1.425 and had the memory around ~240. When I get home from work I'm going to try to get the memory to around 255-260 and tweak it a bit.

It ran Prime95 last night for a good hour or so on the "Toture Test" setting but I started to see the processors temp rise above 52 C. I think I'm going to leave it at 2.7ghz and lower the voltage to 1.4v and leave it there until I buy a scythe ninja or some other aftermarket cooler that's better than what I have now :nod:

The processor seems to have more leg room. I'm thinking around 2.9-3.0 ghz with 1.425 may be the limit.

Man, thats pretty awesome I'd say. And from a CAB2E!

240 for the mem is good too, 255-260 is awesome.

I wish I could figure out my memory, having a problem getting it past 210. I've had it at 240 with the old cpu, but can't duplicate that for some reason. I'm living with a dicider now, but shouldn't my ram be able to do 240? And more? It's exact model is OCZ400512ELPE and is either Model Vitelic or Infineon. I can't seem to find a definate answer to the ICs it uses, one list also stated it could be TCB3/Other.

Guest LithoTech
Actually they are hot since I was just feeding them 2.6v... at 2.8v and 270 mhz the RAM was even hotter.

Like you said 42º C isn't "hot" at all... its warm actually, but since the heatspreaders are made out of copper they are very hot to touch. Not sure if I am clear... it is as if they were warmer than what I expected, and copper has diferent heat transfer qualities than other material including aluminum.

The IR Thermometer I have is a small Radioshack which I have compared to a very exact mercury thermometer and one from Sharper Image; this last one is the one I use to measure room temperature. The IR isn't a "Nasa spec" thermometer, and to be honest these Nasa guys aren't very reliable at all on their own... I just think the little devise is an excellent tool to avoid any guessing of how hot are surfaces in the system.

As for that IR thermometer you are buying... awww, I want one like that one!!! :drool: Mine is a very tinny and cheap $29.95 dlls thermometer, it does the job very well but to be honest I need to have a regular thermometer at hand to make sure the readings are still acurate; it has never failed, but the thing is so cheap I always have doubts.

Also, yes it is a very good overclocking tool... as well as a tool for other jobs.

I've made a note of it in my wish-list tools file. One day, for sure. Whether that is before the sale ends, I can't say. I'll probably blow the next cash job I do on it, hopefully soon. I like to justify it a little, like if the job actually needed one -- some mobo that lacks any sensors for example.

I have a good quality glass thermometer that was originally used for making wine. It floats and is very accurate, and responds to temperature change fairly quickly. I used it for fishing for a few years, adding a weight to it and dropping it into the water to a known depth and quickly reel it in to read the temp.

I had this glass thermometer mounted in the top of my case, right above the ram. It gave me a good solid reading for actual case ambient temperature, maybe a little higher due to being close to the ram. I took it out when I swapped a fan it was rigged to, but plan to put it back in but at the bottom of the mobo where I lack decent airflow.

I'm tempted to buy a cheap digital thermometer, that 2-way tapes to any surface -- but they couldn't be very accurate, and would look tacky unless I found a cool looking one or somehow mod it into a different look.

Really no need for any of that with one of these IR guns. And yes, you could have a lot of fun reading other stuff around and outside the house. All I need is one dang job where the clients mobo doesn't have temperature sensors. Imagine how impressed they would be to see me reading before and after a good dust cleaniung and some cable clean-up. Nothing could help more in having them happy to pay me my fee when they see 5-10 degrees taken off their temps with a simple cleaning and tidy cables. Maybe add a fan or two to the bill if I can show them another 2-3 degrees improvement.

Yup, must have one.

Hehe, I thought the same way ;)

There are a ton of myths surrounding surfaces' temperatures around our daily routine, either it be with our computers or in the kitchen or with our cars: for example how hot can the car radiator be, or how hot the oven surface is... both are too damn hot to the touch, but how hot exactly? To the touch it all depends on surface temperature and the specific heat of the material in question.

When I was in college I also worked part time at an electric motor repair shop and to be able to tell the temperature of a client's motor while talking in the phone was a very nice trick: they always tell you the motor was running too hot, but when we asked them if they could touch it and how long they could keep their hands touching this surface we got a pretty good idea of how hot it was: "I can touch it for an instant before my hand hurts", that means higher than 65º C.... "I can touch it for 5 seconds", that means around 60º C... and so on, but that was the biggest guess of all.

In short, these things are pretty necesary and cool at the same time :P