Is there any point to buying value ram over the expensive stuff on the

Mixman

The notion of "Value RAM" is seriously misguided. Value RAM often has top-of-the-line chips, they just didn't go faster than spec and the vendors bins them into the value category.

My Kingston Value ECC, for example, has TCCC chips. And it works fine in my SLI-DR, all slots, dual-channel.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree..however I have KVR that are generic chips in 2 machines and might not work on my SLI DR

But my crucial valuram I would expect to work on the mobo...Angry's point is important that many generic vlauram chips are not very good and will cause issues

I had some centon chips that would not work in my Abit IT 7 Max 2 rev 2...just crappy stuff

the benefit of spending a little more for the "better" ram is, that (on average) you'll have less problems getting it up and running. If you buy the "value" and corsair stuff, it is more likely that you'll be spending more time trying to get it up and running, and even more time trying to oc it (if you want to). Since it's been proven cpu mhz is the king, and memory bandwidth/latency plays a much smaller role, then once it's up and running, it will probably perform about the same. So if you're on a budget and have lots of time and patience then give it a try, but be more prepared if a rma is needed. If you want to be able to slap the system together and play, then spend the extra 30 bucks or whatever and get the known good stuff.

I disagree..I had much more issues with my OCZ PC3200 Gold than I did with my crucial valuram....there was no OC the OCZ ram...

the crucial was for me a breeze...so more expensive ram does not always work out well

With the new era of speed binning for all the unsupported speeds it is not like it used to be. It is becoming rarer that you find even good PC3200 that will OC like the old days when PC3500 on up wasn't even available.. Prices are at a premium for a guarantee of certain FSB so I buy the best that I can afford and get what I can get from it. That is the nature of Oc'ing for me. How much can I get without having to pay a premium price...

I disagree..I had much more issues with my OCZ PC3200 Gold than I did with my crucial valuram....there was no OC the OCZ ram...

the crucial was for me a breeze...so more expensive ram does not always work out well

That's why I used the words "on average", and "more likely". It's not a black and white thing. I'm sure waaay more people have experienced just the opposite. All it takes for any ram not to work well is one setting in the bios. Maybe with the ocz you hadn't tried every scenerio, and with the crucial, you just happened to find the "sweet spot" a little quicker. Doesn't mean that crucial ram is better than ocz, or better for dfi boards. Take a look around, you'll see plenty of people having problems, and MOST are ram related, and MOST of these are with cheap ram.

Getting a pair of good RAM does help in overclocking. For example, running CPU/13 and CPU/14 on 300*9 will ended up 207 and 192. In this case, if you are on absolute "value" ram and your will stuck running at DDR384, which is under spec. Nowadays, a good UTT isn't that expensive (slightly under $100), unless you required TCCD/TCC5. :rolleyes:

but as has been stated if the ram runs at PC3200 with the A64 there is little performance gains.....use a divider even Angry will tell you CPU mhz is king not ram mhz!

Well..I clearly should not advocate the crucial valuram as Angry states the chance is high it will not work

I guess OCZ Platinum rev 2 is the way t ogo..good OCer but it was more than I wanted to spend....

The real nice thing is OCZ customer support is great

CPU MHz is king, but RAM speeds and timings can make all the difference in some applications.

For example, in real world benchmarks, RAM timings and speed, when you compare stock, average PC3200, nonvalue RAM to DDR600 RAM at 2-2-2-5 makes not much difference. However, in RAM intensive applications such as winrar and quickpar, it makes tons of difference.

Downloading from usenet uses both par2 files and rar files. RAR files since you are limited in how much you can post in one post, and par2s to fix the broken rar files. Anyone who is into usenet downloading a lot will use winrar and par2 many times a day, in which case running 250 MHz 2-2-2-5 will work far better than 200 MHz 2.5-4-4-8. :)

The only RAM I have used on my build is Mushkin Redline HP3200. In the end, I think I would have been better off wth HP4000, a DFI lanparty, and active RAM cooling, since I am a usenet buff. Being my first build I missed out, but learned from it, and would recommend to others to spend the extra and get nice RAM.

DFI owners are a tweaking bunch, why not buy the hardware that allows you to continue to tweak?

Agreed Thasp. I am a Usenet junkie always and Agent is a memory killer also. I guess my feeling is that I already have $138 invested in good ram and another $30 will get me great ram. There may not be a lot of difference in real world from value ram, but I find the better ram a lot easier to use....less compromises as far as dividers and timings.

With that said, I believe I am going to return my Gold and get some OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2.......This. It is low latency and from what I have read a good OC'er. Hopefully this is my last ram for a while.... I am sure Newegg is tired of me by now ! :D

I would like to emphasize the point about RMA-ing the value RAM to get it to perform (or even work for that matter.) The system I had before I upgraded to my DFI platform used RAMBUS. I had upgarded the RAMBUS from 256mb to 1gig and have since gone through 3 RMAs before I finally upgraded to my new system. I would have 4 RMA's if I had not upgraded. These RMAs had nothing to do with my OC either, the RAM would flat out fail or be unstable and my whole system would BSOD until I got the RMA back.

Now I know the DFI does not use RAMBUS, but the point about VRAM being far more inconsistent should not be taken lightly. I am more than willing to pay an extra $50 for the piece of mind I will get with an OCZ or similar product.