Dual Core Is Getting Fried!

noktekniq

I have for short burst 10-20 minutes of time run at 2.65 GHz, 1.7 volts, on my 3000+ venice, and never went above 54C.

This is with a Zalman AlCu7700, and two antec case fans running fast.

Try reapplying your thermal compound and heatsink. I really doubt X2s run that hot.

Maximum Case Temperature for FX-57 is 57C. Air cooling is not designed to handle 1.6v or above. And from your setting, 240*11=2640, that's the stock speed for FX-57, so something is seriously wrong with getting that temperature.

I have been able to keep my processor, with the cooling system described above, at 49C after full load at 1.65 volts. What makes it not designed for it, if the max temp is supposed to be 50?

Plus I have read around here that people have fried their processors using too much voltage even at subzero temperatures, so why would the temps matter?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lowered back to stock.

can it be that my vdimm voltage is at 3.3 and it causes the mobo to be hot near the cpu which can cause more heat then needed?

could be. i know the x2 causes my pwmic area to run ~8-10c higher than single cores.

i'm running 1.275+113% for my vcore. my ram only needs 2.65v.

I have been able to keep my processor, with the cooling system described above, at 49C after full load at 1.65 volts. What makes it not designed for it, if the max temp is supposed to be 50?

Plus I have read around here that people have fried their processors using too much voltage even at subzero temperatures, so why would the temps matter?

I don't know where you see 50, because mine was running at 50 at full load. (in case you didn't read it correctly, I said 57C as the Maximum Case Temperature, not the die temperature, they are two different things.) And your BIOS reading maybe adjusted for the latter one, only the designer knows.

Temps matter because not everyone is using subzero cooling. For subzero cooling especially like liquid nitrogen at -196C, the die temperature will never reach above zero, not to mention 60, 70 or 80 or whatever. You have to understand that even though both voltage and temperature are harmful to a CPU, once u take the temperature out in a subzero cooling, the only thing u worry about is voltage, so the temperature does not matter in that case. That's the whole idea behind subzero cooling, reducing the things that you have to worry about. But if you are doing air cooling, u have to worry about both, and usually temperature will start causing a problem before voltage does.

exactly i don't know why mobo companies don't just let users select a voltage instead of doing some calculations with % and numbers. but then again i can't go high anyways because of dual core.

i think the xp90 is useless compared to the zalman. but before i talk i haven't used the zalman on a cpu yet.

so i decided to get rid of the ram that i had and get a tccd from OCZ the ddr600 platinum elites. they require less voltage. which might help because cooler ram around the cpu area my mean cooler cpu. who knows. i will have to test!

I had some PC4200 ram that made my FX-55 run crazy hot. This was at ALL stock settings for RAM and CPU. This may, or may not be applicable to the dual-core, but if all else fails, it is just an option. I wound-up running PC3200 1GB X2 sticks to tame the temperature problem.

Charles

I had some PC4200 ram that made my FX-55 run crazy hot. This was at ALL stock settings for RAM and CPU. This may, or may not be applicable to the dual-core, but if all else fails, it is just an option. I wound-up running PC3200 1GB X2 sticks to tame the temperature problem.

Charles

almost exactly what i said in last post of page 2

exactly i don't know why mobo companies don't just let users select a voltage instead of doing some calculations with % and numbers. but then again i can't go high anyways because of dual core.

i think the xp90 is useless compared to the zalman. but before i talk i haven't used the zalman on a cpu yet.

so i decided to get rid of the ram that i had and get a tccd from OCZ the ddr600 platinum elites. they require less voltage. which might help because cooler ram around the cpu area my mean cooler cpu. who knows. i will have to test!

i dunno exactly why they can't just have every vcore imaginable with out the percentages but they all do it so ..... it would be easier to dial in 1.45v as opposed to 1.275+113% but what can ya do :)

anyway, i ended up replacing my zalman 7000cu with the xp-90 as the zalman just couldn't handle the x2's heat. the xp-90 with stock fan dropped my temps ~8c.

i'm hoping i can get 275x10 at this 1.44v as i don't really want to hit it with anymore voltage.

i dunno exactly why they can't just have every vcore imaginable with out the percentages but they all do it so ..... it would be easier to dial in 1.45v as opposed to 1.275+113% but what can ya do :)

anyway, i ended up replacing my zalman 7000cu with the xp-90 as the zalman just couldn't handle the x2's heat. the xp-90 with stock fan dropped my temps ~8c.

i'm hoping i can get 275x10 at this 1.44v as i don't really want to hit it with anymore voltage.

well i got a new ram that is suppose to run under 3.0v and this should be able to solve osme of the cooling problems by havig it cooler. with this ram i'm hoping to hit higher oc. hopin this would work!

Almost exactly! ;-}

Mine was a case of an high-perf memory incompatability, presumably causing mem-controller or other heating in the FX-55 core. Switching to my present memory reduced temps 10-12 deg. C., instantly. I'm not pointing fingers at the FX-55, mobo, or memory. It just was, what it was. YMMV.

Gawd, I love it when a plan comes together! ;-}

almost exactly what i said in last post of page 2

Charles