nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

Moi, moin, -jacky- :)

That memory should be Micron or Mosel, according to the xtermesystems ram list.

Your results sound about right for what you can expect. Stop fiddling with the BIOS, it's asking for trouble and you might upgrade to something that makes you system unable to post.

Rest assured that you get most of the performance that you can get out of fast memory at thsoe settings.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much for your answers.

Yes i know with the sig *G* but i registered my account some hours ago and so i haven't done this yet.

Now i am very tired but i'am going to correct this later after work ;)

And then i also will create a new thread for this memory :)

Again thanks for the quick answers :)

I have a dilemma, I am looking to get an Opteron 170 with 2GB of memory. I would like to be able to run the memory at up to 280, so it has to be very good at overclocking. What would you all suggest?

4x Geil One BH.

Only safe way to reach that. You sure you don't want a divider?

Well, I would rather not use a divider, but if I have to I will. And wouldn't 4 sticks of memory limit the speed?

You run 2T but at least you get the frequency you want.

Not that either matters for real-world performance...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227210

I just wanted to make sure this was the right memory for the new rig I am building(not the one listed in sig). This will be a rig for work and play--so far the Ultra-D, Antec P180 case, XFX 7800GT video and this ram. Plan on one of the higher end X2 chips, Powerstream 520W PSU, and hard drives yet to be determined. NO overclocking. What do you think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227210

I just wanted to make sure this was the right memory for the new rig I am building(not the one listed in sig). This will be a rig for work and play--so far the Ultra-D, Antec P180 case, XFX 7800GT video and this ram. Plan on one of the higher end X2 chips, Powerstream 520W PSU, and hard drives yet to be determined. NO overclocking. What do you think?

Perfect memory for not overclocking.

I wonder why the MIRs don't stack. That would be awesome.

Note that newegg now ships via UPS and does not allow pickup in UPS locations nor redirection. If you are not home you will not get the package at all.

I have an Opteron 165 on order (it shipped yesterday) so I'm busy trying to gather parts to build around it. The UT Ultra-D is on my short list. I'm thinking the PSU will be either an Enermax EG565P-VE or an Antec TP-II 550. Memory, though, is an open question. I read the memory advice at the beginning of this thread and, to be honest, my head is still spinning. I'm looking for 2x512MB.

Since I dispise fan noise, I doubt I'll be overclocking but...you never know.

If I go with a non-OCable rig, I was thinking about one of these:

How about the really cheap stuff like this Patriot Signature ?

If one were assembling a rig that they might OC one day, how's this OCZ Gold ELDCGE-K?

Basically, if you were looking for 2x512MB and didn't want to spend more than $150, what would you buy? :)

Jimmie

Hello,

Pick 1 one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820146890

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227211

Platinum REV2 is good for anything, the gold is ok for normal use but,

The OCZ gold will only overclock with 2-2-2-5@250Mhz if you increase the memory voltage to 3.4v+, that requires some form of active cooling on the memory.

That means some fan noise ;) (only if you oc it.)