Games crashes after overclocking

javier

Are you using two memory sticks? If so, try it with one stick, if it crashes, switch to the other stick. Try both Orange and Yellow slots individually to see if you get any more stable. I would also try Load Optimized defaults first before testing. I have to say though, 450Watts is kind of low. What is the amp rating on the +12V rail of your powersupply?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm now using settings from "Load Optimised Defaults", they are the default BIOS settings right??

What is the recommended voltage memory??

I have 2 x 512megs RAM, and I've tried the configuration suggested by Voodoo128, the results are still the same....

How do I test the amp rating on the +12V rail??

Btw, I've read the DFI manual and it says the recommended wattage is 400watts, so 450W is perfectly all right.

Btw, I've read the DFI manual and it says the recommended wattage is 400watts, so 450W is perfectly all right.
Not any more: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...22&postcount=34

You do NOT "test" the amperage rating, it is printed on the side of your PSU.

+12V1@15A & +12V@17A, but the max combined is only about +12V@26A:

http://www.antec.com/specs/SP450_spe.html

This should be enough +12V amperage for your rig.

This is beginning to sound like a heat problem.

What are your temps? :confused:

CPU: 35deg, PWM IC: 43deg, Chipset: 50deg

Dont understand why mobo has to use 480watts...I'm not running SLI or RAID....

The most common and basic answer is because the engineers at DFI that designed the board have found that to run stably this is required. If you wanted to run SLI you would actually need even more.

This is not to say you can not run with a lesser PSU, just that it might work or it might be flaky. I had my system running on a 450W PSU for a while, but I found it was holding me back OC'ing. I changed it to the Enermax I have now and I have been able to push my rig even more.

Are you getting those temps while the machine is under load, or is that at idle? Temps can drop very rapidly once the load goes down, so be sure to get them while the PC is under a heavy load.

I have the same PSU with a similar setup. You can try another one but I'd bet that's not the problem. Unless it is defective.

I would reset everything to default and start with a new windows install first.

Yes I'm using the same PSU/Case. My bios settings are default + my overclock (had to use a 3/4 memory divider, + 113% voltage and fix my memory timings at 2.5-3-3-8)

If I were you I would start again with an optimized bios setup, a fresh windows install and then make sure it is 100% stable before attempting any overclocking. Watch your temps and voltages too.

My advice:

Games are very taxing on your system and cause more power consumption. More power consumption = more thermal energy dissipated by your components.

When you run the rig take off the side panels and blow a desktop fan into the case. This should either finger or rule out overheating as the culprit. Your chipset temperature is pretty high, making me suspect an airflow problem in your case.

If you still have issues:

I was locking up myself before in similar circumstances to what you're describing and it was because I was pushing the core of my video card too much. It only happened in games. I backed off a bit and I was fine. Too much core overclocking typically causes lockups while too much memory overclocking usually causes artifacts well before you actually freeze up.

Uninstall and reinstall your video drivers (use the latest ones for the card) and run the video card at stock speed while leaving the rest of the system overclocked.

Does the same crashing in games occur? If so, it's not a video card issue most likely. If it DOESN'T, increment up the overclock on the video card and see if you can approach your former overclock.