Games crashes after overclocking

javier

I have assembled a new gaming rig and my specs are at my signature. I ran games such as Doom3, BF2 and some benchmark programs such as 3DMark 03. At stock settings, the above-mentioned games and 3DMark 03 ran perfectly well. However, some settings were tweaked and after playing those games and running 3DMark for a while (like around 10 mins), they freeze and my PC reboots. I have also overclocked my graphics card to 450/1000.

Problem is after I've tweaked my BIOS and graphics card, I am able to run MemTest and Prime95 perfectly well for 5 hours!! But after playing the games for a while, my PC hangs and reboots.

I'm a newbie at overclocking stuff, please give me as much details as possible. May I know what are the max settings I can use??

Thanks!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Overclocking results vary from user to user.

So how can one recommend the MAX setting?

:)

By tweaking/playing around you can find these values yourself.

Your power supply, is it a 24pin one?

Did you plug all 4 power connectors into the board?

The minimum recommended power supply = 480W.

Read the new overclocking guide found here.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

I have the same power supply with pretty much the same setup and it's working perfect. I don't think this is a PSU problem.

Your RAM and GFX are more and different than mine, so that's why yours is working better...?? I'm not sure, cos better RAM and GFX will perform better when the system is OC...

Btw what does BIOS 623-3 mean??

Mine is SmartPower 2.0 450W. Is this the new one? This is my casing http://216.147.36.17/livestore/product_inf...042aefcaca348e0

I really want to OC my PC to its maximum. Running MemTest and Prime95 has no probs, but when it is playing games, it hangs and reboots...so what's the purpose of running them? Aren't they suppose to test the stability of the system??

I have the same power supply with pretty much the same setup and it's working perfect. I don't think this is a PSU problem.

Have you done any overclocking? What are their setting? For me, when running at stock settings, my PC is stable.

I really want to OC my PC to its maximum. Running MemTest and Prime95 has no probs, but when it is playing games, it hangs and reboots...so what's the purpose of running them? Aren't they suppose to test the stability of the system??

They are only partial tests of stability. You can have the opposite too. You can fail Prime in a couple of minutes and play games all night long.

You need to read the o/c guide, then start over one component at a time. When you have one component o/c'd to its' max, put it back at stock and do the next one. When you have found all of their max's, you can try putting them all together. O/Cing is a test of patience and perserverance, especially when you are first getting started. The less you change at one time, the better chance you have of succeeding, or finding the problem when it does not work.