NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw at the beginning of this thread that Edge says he's using Goof Off to clean his thermal compounds off. I've been using the same can of this for 2 yrs now and it totally disolves all the thermal compounds I've tried it on immediately. Just a very small squirt, wipe with paper towel and it's gone. Warning though, I tried some of it on a monitor case to remove some sticker residue and it melted the plastic. Doesn't affect mobos or cpus though.

I saw at the beginning of this thread that Edge says he's using Goof Off to clean his thermal compounds off. I've been using the same can of this for 2 yrs now and it totally disolves all the thermal compounds I've tried it on immediately. Just a very small squirt, wipe with paper towel and it's gone. Warning though, I tried some of it on a monitor case to remove some sticker residue and it melted the plastic. Doesn't affect mobos or cpus though.

i only recommend 90% or better alcohol

i do not recommend Goof Off or any other petroleum based cleaner.

i use 3 bits of toilet roll folded into a small 1x2 inch bit an rub it down. but i only use cheapo basic akasa TMT

Is the Antec 450 watt power supply ok if you don't intend on going to SLI? If not, what is the power consumption of a fully loaded nF4 SLI mobo? I would have thought it ok to run the 450 if you weren't using any of the slots except for one PCIE slot. There would be a much greater amount of current drawn if the board was SLI'd with 4 mem sticks and utilizing all of the PCI and PCIE slots that were usable. The total consumption of the board would based on a full complement of components including an SLI set-up and this would include a buffer of probably 25% over the total draw. The actual power consumption would be greatly reduced.

Is the Antec 450 watt power supply ok if you don't intend on going to SLI? If not, what is the power consumption of a fully loaded nF4 SLI mobo? I would have thought it ok to run the 450 if you weren't using any of the slots except for one PCIE slot. There would be a much greater amount of current drawn if the board was SLI'd with 4 mem sticks and utilizing all of the PCI and PCIE slots that were usable. The total consumption of the board would based on a full complement of components including an SLI set-up and this would include a buffer of probably 25% over the total draw. The actual power consumption would be greatly reduced.

read the psu link in my sig

Your better off just putting a lump of thermal compound on the middle of the cpu and spreading it real thin with a thermal compound spreader card! This way your sure the entire surface of the cpu is covered with compound!

Hi, I am doing my first build and have been following mechBgon's guide. Here are my components:

DFI Lanparty ultra-d

opteron 165

thermalright xp-120 hsf with 84 CFM panaflo

evga 6600GT

G.Skill 2x1GB PC4000 ram

Antec True Power 2.0 550W

I was grounded throughout installation. I have the standard 24 pin power plugged in and the 4-pin 12v. I have the other two power inputs taken care of as well, ie the floppy+4pin molex between the CPU and videocard. I installed the xp-120 on the opteron to a tee. It pushes a little harder down on the processor than I thought it would, but thermright claims they are compatible. I am currently using a single 1GB stick in the orange DIMM slot. The second time I tried I put it in the yellow dimm slot.

When I press the power button on the mobo, all the fans start working, but I don't get any display. The red diagnostic lights flicker between the first 3 and all 4 being on. After 10 seconds the fans power down to a slower speed and all but the first LED turn off. This has happened twice. I don't know what these codes mean. Both times I powered down as soon as the other LED's turned off. What should I do?