Noctua Socket Lga 1366 Cooler Tested

Nemo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey frank did you use the noctua thermal paste for both coolers on this review? We just reviewed it on our site and it spanked arctic silver 5 and cool laboratory heat pad and liquid metal pro by several degrees. I was very impressed by that stuff.

Yes they do get hot. This is a test with the system in a case not on a bench so keep that in mind. The overclocked settings use 1.4125 volts on a 965 so pushing the limits gets you to 80+ Celsius. Kid of uncomfortable but These two heatsinks were tested as delivered.

Man, are the i7's really running 80c+ temps at load?! Am I reading that right? 58/67c at stock speeds on top-end air cooling?!

If that's the temps you're getting on very high end air, I think I've got yet another reason to stick with 775/AM2+ for now.

I just talked with intel customer support, they said 80's 24/7 was fine.

I just talked with intel customer support, they said 80's 24/7 was fine.

Of course they did. :) Did you expect something else? If they said otherwise no one would buy them anymore because those temps are very much a reality right now.

A more pertinent question might be what temps aren't OK. How high are these made to go? If they say 90 is too high, I'd say top-end air only getting to 84 is very concerning (given margins of error and summer temp rises as I previously mentioned). If they said they're OK up until 120, then I wouldn't be so concerned anymore.

Until I see official thermal threshold specs though, my brain just doesn't like seeing a processor at 84c :) It took a long time to get used to GPUs running in that range and I'm still not very excited about it :P

Of course they did. :) Did you expect something else? If they said otherwise no one would buy them anymore because those temps are very much a reality right now.

A more pertinent question might be what temps aren't OK. How high are these made to go? If they say 90 is too high, I'd say top-end air only getting to 84 is very concerning (given margins of error and summer temp rises as I previously mentioned). If they said they're OK up until 120, then I wouldn't be so concerned anymore.

Until I see official thermal threshold specs though, my brain just doesn't like seeing a processor at 84c :) It took a long time to get used to GPUs running in that range and I'm still not very excited about it :P

I asked, and the guy wasn't very helpful. He said until they get an error code, it's fine :P . But i asked him about 100c, and he said even those temps were fine.

Well, my laptop Core 2 Extreme X9000 can take up to 105C... It's running F@H SMP 24/7 at ~72C. So they can clearly make them to handle to heat. I wish they'd update the processor spec finder so we can see real hard numbers. But I wouldn't be surprised if they can take 100C+...

It'd be interesting to see how hot they get running Linpack (IntelBurnTest)...is there any possibility it'll be used on future heatsink reviews?

For some reason it does not impart the thermal load on the I7 that it did on the Core 2 stuff. Tried it a few times and went back to Prime 95 since that hits both the memory controller and the CPU cores. You can reduce temperatures by turning off Hyperthreading but the performance takes a hit

Ya, my Fiance' just ordered me a Noctua 1366 for Valentines Day (I love my woman) so I cant wait. My 920 OC to 3.2Ghz idles in the 40s and hits 80 easily on prime 95 with stock cooling(usually 55-57 while gaming). Im anxious to get this thing, I believe Im going to see a nice decrease in temps. I went with this over the TRUE due to the dual fan design (comes with both fans) and the better cpu contact. Plus its made in Austria.....gotta be qulaity. hahaha.