Ram cooling mods..Post yours here..

THunDA

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Milkshake
what are mosfets?

I would also like to know what mosfets are, is there a difference with heatsinks on them? Does your motherboard temp lower or anything?

Guest shaolin95

Usually there is no big difference as far as my long research showed but it makes the system looks cool and if heavily OCed, probably help a little for stability and longevity ...or at least peace of mind.

Guest Milkshake

Hey zeimbo, does that crab fit nicely on the ram slots? I couldn't tell because you have them at the bottom of the case so it could just be sitting on the case.

it is sitting against the bottom of the case there, if your ram slots are horizontal, then it will fall with gravity. but a lot of ram slots are vertical and it works clips on the ram slots. it will work with slots that are horizontal but it will lean on your cpu cooler or on the bottom of your case or whatever.

I would also like to know what mosfets are, is there a difference with heatsinks on them? Does your motherboard temp lower or anything?

"Pronounced MAWS-feht. Acronym for metal-oxide semiconductor field-effect transistor, a common type of transistor in which charge carriers, such as electrons, flow along channels. The width of the channel, which determines how well the device conducts, is controlled by an electrode called the gate, separated from channel by a thin layer of oxide insulation. The insulation keeps current from flowing between the gate and channel." .

Clear? No, me neither. But wait....

"MOSFETs are useful for high-speed switching applications and also on integrated circuits in computers." . :nod:

I use the neon crab which fits perfectly onto slot 1 of my ultra-d and over the 4 dimm slots.

it grabs the slots by the ends adn sits very firmly does not move around or lean on anything.

the evercool fans are quiet fans (~20db) even at full speed (~4500rpm) so they only move about 5 cfm each, but they use it very efficiently being right on top of the ram and pumping air down in between the sticks and out the ends liek a tunnel, def keep my bh-5s cooler once they start warming up at 3.0-3.5v. thinking about modding in beefier fans.. the little eyes with the flashing blue/red police car party lights were annoying but it only takes a fine phillips screwdriver to take take them off, then just cut and insulate the led wires. And the blue micro-leds in the fans still light it up nice and blue.

thats exactly what i did, except i cut out the grille type things where the fans pull air from and now they push almost double the cfms, or so it feels like. a big noticeable difference. it cant be directly above my ram slots cuz my cpu heatsink hangs over a little bit but it blows at an angle which i think even helps a little with the airflow.

yeah, i noticed you cut the grills out! hmm, maybe ill try just cuttin the grills out first without changing fans, thought about it but with how the sides are all open i did not think it would make much difference, wonder if closing the sides will help...

yea i used a dremel with the roundblade to cut the grills out and they seem to draw about twice as much air, they really do a good job cooling imo. i was thinking about replacing the fans, but if i went to all that trouble i would just get something else or make something else with bigger fans and more airflow. you could try taping off the sides or something and seeing if theres a noticeable difference, i think the open sides help suck in more air tho kinda like the thermaltake silentcat fans.