Ram cooling mods..Post yours here..

THunDA

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What heat sink you using? That thing didn't block your HS at all?

CPU300 waterblock... No not blocked at all, I cant imagine any water block it would block, it stands up on 3 1/2 inch (or so) posts that screw into your mobo mounts. I'll try to take a better pic with a real camera later and post it

I'm quite jealous.

I have a single 120mm antec, with tons of twist ties attached to it to hang it up by unsleeved wires on my power supply, to the fan grille on the power supply, to the chipset fan which is also hovering over the passive heatsink. My airflow is nice, but the implementation is a total mess. :(

It might be time to get some Mushkin XP4000 3.5v RAM to test out that nice cooling, huh. ;)

Plese forgive the crudeness of this picture but i woke up thismorening with an idea to "Funnel" the airflow from a pair of fans into a smaller hole at the bottom wich surrounds the Ram dimms.

Side view:

[ ][ ]

120mm FANS ----> [ ][ ]

[_________][__________]

{ }

{ } <=====sleeve

{ _________________ }

{ : : }

{ : (ramDimm) : }

____IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII__________

Front view:

{ }

{ } <------120 MM fans

{_______________}

/

/

:: /

:: /

[ :: ]

IIIII

_____________IIIII_______________

i really hope this crude drawing gets my point across and that it doesnt somehow get messed up if your screen is set to a different resolution than mine. But its the basic Idea i was thinking. somehow fashioning a funnle/sleeve made of copper sheeting or whatever. Attached to the fans so that the airflow from the fans is forced through the small opening at the bottom near the base of the dimms. in theory this would increase the amount cooling power since more air molicules pass near the ram.

More along the lines of a Catholic church thing. Alterboys assist the priest in serving the mass along with other things.

ExRoadie, donno what Alter means... looked it up and it stands for "kastrera" = castrate... LOL :rolleyes:

Nice mods guys :D:D

One question: As far as I saw all of you use fans that blow down on the memory

chips. What about if the fan(s) would be turned, so that they suck the hot air from

the memory? Would that also be any good?

Few days ago I turned the vent on my TR SI-120 and the temps were a few degrees lower, and since the SI-120 is overhanging one memory slot, wouldn't be blowing air down on the memory counterproductive.

I intend to install also some memory heatsinks (not the usual heatspreaders) in order to increase the cooling surface, so if I turn the SI-120 fan to suck, should I also install the memory fans to suck air from the memory. The fans are AMDs 70mm A64 stock fans (from the Venice 3K+ stock cooler).

From my initial test (which lasted only about an hour :D:D:D ) I will need to run 3.1V for 2-2-2-x timings on my old CH-5 sticks (2-3-2-x works also with 2.6V). Should I use the burn-in on this memory, since it is about 2 years old (I bought it from the original owner few months ago), or is the burn-in used only for new memory.