Ram cooling mods..Post yours here..

THunDA

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Pronounced MAWS-feht. Acronym for metal-oxide semiconductor field-effect transistor, a common type of transistor in which charge carriers, such as electrons, flow along channels. The width of the channel, which determines how well the device conducts, is controlled by an electrode called the gate, separated from channel by a thin layer of oxide insulation. The insulation keeps current from flowing between the gate and channel." .

Clear? No, me neither. But wait....

"MOSFETs are useful for high-speed switching applications and also on integrated circuits in computers." . :nod:

w0w, what a definition huh, lol. thats what they are alright. i don't have a technical working knowledge of mosfets, but, they are always part of power conditioning circuits. i explain them as power conditioners to help keep the current within the certified specs of the device it's suppling power to. :O

My first experience with them was with power amps for car audio systems. instead of using paper resistors and transistors, they started using mosfets for their superior conditioning abilities and operational duty cycles.

TGM

as for my ram cooling "mod"... i just took an old stock AMD XP HSF, used the top duct mount that the 60x10mm fan was pressed into, plus the fan, and rubber banned it. :)

reasoning for using the top duct was to take the fan up away from resting on top of the mem sticks. this allows for the fan to cool the entire top of both sticks of ram without creating hot spots.

works really well and is very quiet. i'm running my BH5's up to DDR510 at 11-2-2-2-2.0-12-16-3-3-5-4-3-3-4-1T @ 3.3v and i can't even feel a warm spot on them. this is on my nf2 400 Ultra DFI chipset. they seem to top out at around DDR540 tho.

Wonder what my new H2O system will let me get with this rig..... few weeks from now, i'll be in the know.... i hope. hehe

TGM

My first experience with them was with power amps for car audio systems. instead of using paper resistors and transistors, they started using mosfets for their superior conditioning abilities and operational duty cycles.

TGM

MOSFETs are just high power transistors. The very high current levels are what really separates them from "normal" transistors.

as for my ram cooling "mod"... i just took an old stock AMD XP HSF, used the top duct mount that the 60x10mm fan was pressed into, plus the fan, and rubber banned it. :)

TGM

Wow; a gurly gurl on a tech forum. And pretty too! :drool: That's great! All of a sudden I feel...so, er so.... erm... inadequate. :confused:

Where was I? Oh yes, the post. U got a pic of the mod?

After looking at all these cool mods, I decided to give one a try. It took me a while to find some 60mm blue led fans, but I got lucky and came across this wonderful HD cooler... It has blue leds. I bought 2 of these. I figured I could use the other fans somewhere else. Maybe over the mosfets.

projectcoolram010gu.jpg

Then I went and got some Lexan, I tried poly-carbo-crap... it breaks too easily. I did some measuring, cutting, and some bending. Not bad for a first time bending this stuff...lol

projectcoolram037mu.jpg

projectcoolram020xk.jpg

Then I installed it... looks pretty... lol :cool:

projectcoolram045zn.jpg

Wow; a gurly gurl on a tech forum. And pretty too! :drool: That's great! All of a sudden I feel...so, er so.... erm... inadequate. :confused:

Where was I? Oh yes, the post. U got a pic of the mod?

yup, yup, yup.... gurl g33k :)

no, i don't have a pic, sorry. that machine is now torn apart anyways. i just got my nf3 250gb and i stripped everything out of my case and i'm temp mounting my new board and vid card in there so i can get my tubing routes right for my new asetek waterchill cooling kit. i'm having some clearence problems with the chipset block and my vid card block right now. i think i'm going to have to buy so 90 degree angled swivel dealies for it. but it's ok, i have to wait till next month to get my Mobile A64 4000, so i've got some time yet to work out the bugs.

TGM

Very cool to see people still posting their mods .. Lots of good imagination in here.. :)

TheGeekMistress.. After reading a little about those mobile 4000's it makes me want to get it and start clocking my 250gb again..lol.. They look like monsters..

After looking at all these cool mods, I decided to give one a try. It took me a while to find some 60mm blue led fans, but I got lucky and came across this wonderful HD cooler... It has blue leds. I bought 2 of these. I figured I could use the other fans somewhere else. Maybe over the mosfets.

I like your mod man .. very clean and effective. GJ :D