WARNING about bios bug in 7/04 beta bios

im just tomorrow getting a new 3700+ San Diago ...i am using bios 310 and ocz pc4000VX ....do I have to change bios in order to support the new cpu, and if so which one would perform the best??? I would love to be able to giving the RAM a little more power so which bios has the 4v fix?

BTW I agree that even so if DFI IS the big hardwarekiller, it is because it is the most suited for ekstreme OC....the trouble and the death of this Venice could have been blamed DFI IF: it was a official Bios & if it would have made the cpu die at what should have been standard Vcore ....but in your case it is like everything other when you OC....at your own risk........

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, sadly, it's no secret that currently, DFI boards are killing the most hardware compared to other boards, for example the 4V jumper issue (which again, was a BIOS problem, as a fix was released), and now this.

I really like the vast amount of options available in DFI boards, and who knows, I may buy one again in the future. But it's evident that between the NF2/NF3 754 boards to the NF4 series, alot more danger has arised.

the choice is there. the boards are guaranteed only to function correctly at stock speeds/voltages.

you choose to either run at stock speeds, or you choose to take the risk overclocking.

We don't make PC4000 or 4800 or any memory at all. We don't make cpu' that might overclock 1000Mhz. We don't make video cards. Other companies see that our product is good for overclocking and make their own choices about what to compliment it with from their product line. Neither they nor DFI forces you to overclock or run out of spec. That is your choice. Just because someone makes memory that will do PC4800 speeds does not mean that running it at PC4800 speeds is within spec of the the other components in the sytsem.

there is no real argument here. You might not see it that way, but that is the truth of the situation and there's nothing I can add to this. Its a choice. The box might tell you to burn down your neighborhood in big bold letters...but you have to choose whether or not to do this. It is always a choice. We aren't interested that other mfg's might do this or that. We build our boards to run at stock speeds, and we give you the choice of overclocking. You choose. We don't choose for you.

If you want to believe that the DFI board kills hardware, then you should choose to avoid owning one. The return rates of these boards are no different than any other boards. If there were really that many users killing their hardware, then we would see them in telephone/email/forum support. Fortunately this is not the case. But when a couple of people either think they have killed their hardware, or ran it out of spec and claim it died, they make such a noise that you might think that 9 out of 10 users are experiencing the same thing.

Again, fortunately, this is not the case (we would know since we answer the phones, email, and forum support).

I don't really have time to argue more about this issue because there isn't really an argument. No one forces you to do anything. You purchase an item based on what you want it to do or what you read another user doing with it. That is your choice. We clearly state that beta bioses are not covered under warranty and we clearly state inside the box with a sheet of paper than going over 2.85v with the vdimm is beyond our coverage of warranty, and we have clearly stated in this forum that overclocking is neither guaranteed nor warrantied...Rgone and I are here to help overclockers along, but we must follow the rules within our own company.

If you are not happy with this, then you should not purchase a motherboard or any other component that you plan to overclock unless you can find a written guarantee that overclocking of any kind is covered by warranty. We make boards with these options, but we don't force you to choose to use them at all. That choice is yours alone and you know the risks associated with such choices.

come on now...you know this and have known this since the first overclocking options showed up on the first boards way back in the Celeron days...no company takes responsibility for overclocking because the boards, regardless of what they are designed for, are only guaranteed and warrantied to stock useage.

period.

you are right ag ... no company could take responsibility above this.

If companies were pressed (legal liability wise) to support more than this, no one would, and we would never have a board like this ... period.

I'm sure msi, asus etc, are laughing at these issues, going dang glad we did not go there.

I love this board, glad to have it. Thanks dfi ... just feeling bad for those that toasted there cpu's, it could have been me REAL easy.

Chad

Quite frankly, when you decided to install that beta bios, you took the chance. Don't get me wrong, I *COMPLETELY* understand where you're coming from, you feel like someone should be responsible for missing a bug that caused your CPU to be fried, you feel like they should buy you a new one.

But they don't have to because they stated time and time again that simply installing the beta bios voided your warranty, in addition to over volting etc.; however unlikely that may be.

****** The point of this post ******

I think what DFI has here is great; there is a definite connection between customers/users of the product and producers of the product - hell, DFI even made 6/23 the latest bios on their site as a result of complaints in this very thread. I have a hard time even getting a response back from most companies when I'm PRAISING their products, when they simply have to say "Glad to hear! Enjoy xxyy product!"

My point is, I CERTAINLY do not want DFI to slow down their very fast pace of releasing bios's.. I don't want them to be worried sick that they might damage a user's hardware and consequently never release beta bios's anymore except to the select few, and then only release the official bios's that they are certain are 100% bug-free.

Unfortunately, we all spin the roullette wheel when we install bios's, and in DFI's case that wheel generally is very profitable for the user, but occassionally the ball lands on green and the user loses. But thats why we ACCEPT and ACKNOWLEDGE the risk when we install *BETA* bios's and decide to GAMBLE.

All that said, I sincerely hope everything works out for you.. But I myself am going to go spin that wheel once more and keep running 7/04 ;)

Well, here we have 3 sides...

I felt compelled to register to answer this. Its really shocking to see you sitting here trying to make some kind of argument regarding overclocking, warranty, and responsibility.

Angrygames is actually making a terrible analogy in regards to a Vette and driving it 150. A better analogy would be someone who buys a Turbo Neon, adjusts the boost so his vehicle can go faster, and blows up an engine. Sorry - not covered.

Bottom line is - you want to keep your warranty? DON'T OVERCLOCK.

In fact, while we're talking about responsibility, I can't believe you're RMA'ing a CPU to AMD that you know FOR SURE was destoyed due to overclocking and high voltage. Thats just plain wrong.

I used to push the limits like crazy - having lost some killer ram and a motherboard, I'm not pushing it to the extreme anymore because I don't have $$$ to throw around on parts I broke overclocking them. Maybe you should be more like me?

Oscar Wu has apologized which is a lot more than he needed to do.

Bottom line is - don't buy a DFI board if you don't plan to overclock. It is a slow board with no OC.

I'm curious what you base this on. Logically there would be only minor (not detectable except in benchmarks) in two Nforce4 MB running stock - or so I would assume.