4 debug lights

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never touched the ram, it is brand new out the pack and I havent been able to get a vid signal or less than 4led lights to be able to 'fcuk' with it in the BIOS nor was it off its default voltage jumper.

You can say that again! fighting98.gif Sure to bite ya. Best bet is to invest in a Bios Savior.

Surely you shouldn't need to with new hardware. Ive owned many a board and this is the first time something like this has happened, and it appears that its not uncommon with these boards.

How can the bios be so "easily" corrupted?

Well I got the replacment board from newegg. This time I got the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail, instead of the UT. Anyway I put the whole thing back togeather and guess what. 4 .ing lights and no post no video sync nothing. At least with the old board it was working fine until I put the memory FSB 100. Could it be the CPU or PS? Or is it just another DOA DFI???? Someone help. I try to call DFI tech support and they make you leave a message and never get back to you. I cant RMA the processor to new egg I gotta go through AMD. I dont have a spare 64 bit processor to test. But if the cpu was bad would I still get 4 leds? Maybe this one had an old bios on it and doesnt support Sandiago? I mean the first board I got had 3-10 Bios so why wouldnt this one. So many question No easy answer.

Well I got fed up today and I ripped apart my other system. ITs a 3500 Winnie and ASUS-SLI deluxe board. I flashed it to 1011 bios to make sure it supports the Sandiago 3700. Popped cpu in and heat sink. Powered up. No post and no video.

I guess cpu is bad. Ive RMA it to AMD. I am pissed because amd has to recieve and test it. If its good then they send it back if its bad then they will send a new one. Now I gotta wait another 4-6 days.

New Egg doesnt take CPU back. Man that sucks.

Im hoping cpu is bad and not something else.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
The proper Clear CMOS recovery from a "no boot" condition. Not to be confused with a Normal CMOS Clear.

Make sure your sig is up to date with all of the required information. This will assist the forum members with your issue.

You can not use a USB keyboard for this procedure. You must use a PS2 keyboard.

You will need your manual to find the jumpers that must be changed.

If you skip or miss any step you must start again since the results will not be valid.

Make sure that all 4 power connectors are plugged into the board

# 24pin ATX connector.

# 4pin +12v P4 connector, near the ATX connector.

# Floppy power connector, under the CPU socket.

# Hard drive power connector, on top the chipset fan.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2944&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2945&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2946&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2947&stc=1

------

Remove power from the rig by pulling the plug or switching the PSU off.

Move the PC Speaker jumper to the ON position.

Remove the Battery.

Move the CMOS jumper to CLEAR.

Press the Start Button on the case or motherboard to drain the capacitors.

You may leave the board in this condition for as long as it takes to clear the CMOS. If a short 30 second clear or a 15 minute clear doesn't work, try an 8 hour clear then a 24 hour clear.

Plug in a PS2 Keyboard.

Put one stick of RAM in the top orange slot marked DIMM2.

Move the CMOS jumper to Normal.

Replace the Battery.

Press and hold the Insert Key on the Keyboard.

Apply power to the rig by plugging the power in or using the switch on the PSU.

Press the Start Button to power the rig up.

When you hear the BEEP, release the Insert Key and press the Delete Key on the Keyboard.

Once you enter the BIOS set the DATE and TIME then Load Optimized Defaults.

Save and Exit.

Enter the BIOS again and set it up the way you want for your particular rig.

NEVER load any saved CMOS settings from CMOS Reloaded once you have a new BIOS installed.

------

About how long do you have to hold the insert key for? I've held it for a good two minutes and just gave up. I don't feel like holding it for an hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just followed this thread howto save my ig from a rma.

On friday i popped in a new 580w Tagan, sli ready psu. And at friday i overclocked to fsb of 290 on my opteron 144, i did some prime thingies, and the rig stopped working, shutdown and wouldn't start again and gave my the four led's. After some reading in your forum i found out that the bios had to be corrupted, i've tried the coldboot cmos clear with the 24 hour wait, no respons. Now i did the trick with the bios swap, i have a ECS nforce 4(a939) lying around and used that chip. It was scary but satisfing to do something like this but it worked!!

Thanks fot the advises from the Netherlands

Frank (aka YPRGWT)

• 3 months later...
Anyone got any ideas on how to obtain bios chips (preferably flashed) from the UK?

Hi All,

After getting (Still got TBH) the 4LED of Doom (Sounds like a 80's metal band)

contacted bios-repair (Link via somewhere on forum)

it is available from http://www.bios-repair.co.uk/

Cost me £11.49 for a pre flashed bio (which I am waiting for at the moment)

Paul who runs the company has been very good TBH and I even spent out ona chip extractor tool as well (£2.50)

Just found out though that the Local sorting office is on strike :sad:

So I have been reduced to the laptop at the moment!:cool:

Hope this helps

Doc