nf4 Ultra D - Powering fans from MB: Stupid or Really Stupid?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you would think if they made connectors for the fans, they could be used without any problems. Just curious if anyone of you has actually had a motherboard die because of this. This is the first time I hear of this being an issue.

I have run several motherboards with fans plugged in and so have all my friends. None of us as far as we know have never lost a board to this or had problems with stability as a result.

If the DFI Ultras cant handle a few fans then one has to wonder how 'special' this board really is. The more excuses I hear just makes my eyes roll all the more.

You dont expect your car to just stop dead on the road when you turn on the stereo and the heater at the same time.

no. it's perfectly fine. the power draw of those low wattage fans is WELL below the rated output of the mobo pins.

the idea that you will somehow have a more stable system or better OC is just a superstition.

the total watt draw of the panaflo L1A fan is less than .1 amps, and some CPU fans can draw .5 amps, so there is no way this can cause a problem. just check the rated power usage of the fans before you install them. thread here

`clipse is absoulutely correct....

But then again----I am a superstious sod and I tend to stay away from those headers unless I absolutely need them.

But then again----whenever I've used them----I've had NO problems whatsoever. Maybe because I use the additional Molex and the additional 4 pin Floppy connector to add extra power to the board even though I don't use SLI....

Running the cpu fan and left cover fan off the mobo (small ones). Two 120 mm case fans are running on an unused 4-pin molex lead/bank. They come with 4-pin molex connectors in the case, so obviously, it's prudent to power them from a capable supply line.

Charles

Guest Joalaielna

Ever thought about getting a fan controller? Their great! Quiet when you need it quite, Loud when your fragin up the place. hehe

A question was asked and some opinions were voiced.

No one ever said anything about a particular board NOT being able to power fans. What a leap of faith you made to...

If the DFI Ultras cant handle a few fans then one has to wonder how 'special' this board really is. The more excuses I hear just makes my eyes roll all the more.

Your eyes will roll back in your head if it ever happens to you and there's $200.00 worth of toasted motherboard in your rig.

You dont expect your car to just stop dead on the road when you turn on the stereo and the heater at the same time.

You have never owned a Jaguar then. ;)

{People don't get shot because I've never been shot. a dead man}

Your eyes will roll back in your head if it ever happens to you and there's $200.00 worth of toasted motherboard in your rig.

Yes but the chances of it happening from that are slim to non existant. Now if we were talking VDIMM, Ram or a number of other things with this board then I'd tend to agree.

As for Jaguar, in the UK we've just seen a $2500 20+ year old XJS V12 do 140mph and win a 4hour endurance race on a popular driving show.

But I would be inclined to agree with you on that one. :)

I think it boils down to personal preference as to whether or not one uses the available fan headers. I would not stick a delta or a tornado on there though. ;)

Myself, I have done it both ways over the years and for me it usually boils down to the best way to keep the wires tidy. If I can use a 4 pin and not have a mess then I will, but if I have a short clean run to a header I will use that more times than not.

YMMV

Don't forget to add a light water mist from the garden hose when you attempt this mod. :cool:

Im using 2 headers for 80mm fans without any problems...so far...but I was a little nervous so I unplugged the cpu fan to lighten the load on the mobo :shake: