DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

praz

do you think i be ok with my thermaltake 680 watt purepower psu?

You already have it so using it will be the only way to find out. If you experience no unexplained issues with your system you should be fine.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alrite, my turn to ask question:

my system is in my sig... with an Enermax Liberty 500.

as story goes, last year, when i bought my DFI board, my Enermax Noisetaker wasnt up for it... too low on +12V. tried Antec. tried Silverstone. heck, even tried Ultra. none worked. board would boot for a split second, and then shutoff... no beep, no nothin.

as one of the best PSU at the time, i grabbed this PSU, knowing it has a beefy 20A on each of the dual +12V line.

system boot up fine, checked wit MBM and Smartguardian, railings is well above the spec... all fine and dandy.

a year goes, i oc'd up to 2.9Ghz wit a 7900GT voltmodded, and the whole nine yard.... my liberty is just laughing at it.....

now.

last monday i got a shipment for another 7900GT. tried everything i could think of, i couldnt get SLI to work.

details:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70444

i tried the new card by itself, everything's good... but put 2 together, the card in the 2nd slot is never detected. not even an IRQ on both DOS and Windows. altho the fan spins!

used 1 card (either) on the 2nd slot, and board wont boot with a beep signaling that there's no video card installed.

a-ha! i said. it must be a busted slot. and i went away and order an Expert board.

until somebody posted my PSU is no longer in the recommended list...... and lo and behold, its been removed.. (@erico, but its not on the avoid list!).

so before i received my Expert and rip the packaging....

i want to know for sure.....

IS IT A PSU PROBLEM?????????

thank you :)

Call me biased, but I don't see why the Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W is in the lower part of the list. I haven't used it with SLI, but I have used it in a dual core system with eight hard drives, six fans, watercooling, 3.6 GHz core 2 duo, and an x800gto2 graphics card. It also was dropped when I tipped my case over in September 2005. It didn't kill two motherboards like the one at the top of the list, but to each his own - I know antec's reputation was flushed when they released the NeoHE line of garbage.

alrite, my turn to ask question:

my system is in my sig... with an Enermax Liberty 500.

as story goes, last year, when i bought my DFI board, my Enermax Noisetaker wasnt up for it... too low on +12V. tried Antec. tried Silverstone. heck, even tried Ultra. none worked. board would boot for a split second, and then shutoff... no beep, no nothin.

as one of the best PSU at the time, i grabbed this PSU, knowing it has a beefy 20A on each of the dual +12V line.

system boot up fine, checked wit MBM and Smartguardian, railings is well above the spec... all fine and dandy.

a year goes, i oc'd up to 2.9Ghz wit a 7900GT voltmodded, and the whole nine yard.... my liberty is just laughing at it.....

now.

last monday i got a shipment for another 7900GT. tried everything i could think of, i couldnt get SLI to work.

details:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70444

i tried the new card by itself, everything's good... but put 2 together, the card in the 2nd slot is never detected. not even an IRQ on both DOS and Windows. altho the fan spins!

used 1 card (either) on the 2nd slot, and board wont boot with a beep signaling that there's no video card installed.

a-ha! i said. it must be a busted slot. and i went away and order an Expert board.

until somebody posted my PSU is no longer in the recommended list...... and lo and behold, its been removed.. (@erico, but its not on the avoid list!).

so before i received my Expert and rip the packaging....

i want to know for sure.....

IS IT A PSU PROBLEM?????????

thank you :)

Did you make sure to set the jumpers correctly and use the SLI bridge?

I know that's a stupid question but it can happen to the best of us. :tooth:

no jumper on Infinity and yes, i used the bridge. i thought u know me better than that Septem :D

i dont want to hijack this thread on my problem, i got my own thread there (link on my last post), but the question i wanna ask here, is:

wit X2 3800+, 2Gb RAM, INF SLI, 2x7900GT, 3xSeagate, 1xAudigy, and 1xDVD-RW, is my Liberty 500 can cope with it???

i know wit the same spec, but only 1x7900GT, railings are strong, never had a problem, has even more to spare...

no jumper on Infinity and yes, i used the bridge. i thought u know me better than that Septem :D

i dont want to hijack this thread on my problem, i got my own thread there (link on my last post), but the question i wanna ask here, is:

wit X2 3800+, 2Gb RAM, INF SLI, 2x7900GT, 3xSeagate, 1xAudigy, and 1xDVD-RW, is my Liberty 500 can cope with it???

i know wit the same spec, but only 1x7900GT, railings are strong, never had a problem, has even more to spare...

I don't think even my PowerStream 520 could handle that. The PSU may be good for older SLI and single card systems, but for 7800 and newer SLI it falls behind.

ugh.

i was afraid someone will said that sooner or later.

depending on my wallet, looks like i might have to grab one of them powerStreams this weekend :(

but my Liberty500 has 22A each on the +12V and 32A for total +12. that thing is pretty beefy.... should i try it first?

errh....... *frustrated*

oh well, worst case scenario i guess i could swap the Ultra 350W on my HTPC to use the Liberty lol

good god...

ultra. (shut up. it was free.)