DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

I agree totally that it's a bad idea to recommend the SS. I'm just saying the problem from my POV is for moderate to heavy systems not light usage systems. Of course, a light usage system does not need this SS so the only reason to go for it would be for future usage in which case we start to run into the problems. But light usage systems themselves should be fine with it. IMHO anyway.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree totally that it's a bad idea to recommend the SS. I'm just saying the problem from my POV is for moderate to heavy systems not light usage systems. Of course, a light usage system does not need this SS so the only reason to go for it would be for future usage in which case we start to run into the problems. But light usage systems themselves should be fine with it. IMHO anyway.
What I can't figure out is why?

I mean PC P&C, Zippy & Emermax all have PS's that have lots more output wattage than the SS &

they don't have these "excess" or "extreme" cross-loading requirements.

Dave

Sorry :( about my mis-read of your question.

AFAIK the TC II's are not in retail distrubation yet & Antec does not list their specs. It maybe that CWT is having problems as the did when the +12V amperage was increased across the board on all True Powers except the TC, which remained at +12V@24A, where as the other TP 550W's went to +12V@30A & the EPS went to +12V@36A.

Thank you for the review links, this guide will be a mini-guide just for the DFI N4's, however the main guide is linked.

Main PS Guide: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=136602

Thanks,

Dave

The TCII 550W will be available in Aus next week. All the True Power II series including the TC II series has dual 12v rails.... and i don't actually get what you mean by why TC II's not in retail ...

here is the link for the spec of TP II 550 and TC II 550

http://www.antec.com/specs/TPII550_spe.html

Also, can anyone give me some information as EPS is necessary or better to have option or the "control" by truecontrol II is better for ocing ?

and one more last question, the psu like ocz, antec, topower..etc all don't have the crossloading problems like ss 650w does ?

The TCII 550W will be available in Aus next week. All the True Power II series including the TC II series has dual 12v rails.... and i don't actually get what you mean by why TC II's not in retail ...

here is the link for the spec of TP II 550 and TC II 550

http://www.antec.com/specs/TPII550_spe.html

Also, can anyone give me some information as EPS is necessary or better to have option or the "control" by truecontrol II is better for ocing ?

and one more last question, the psu like ocz, antec, topower..etc all don't have the crossloading problems like ss 650w does ?

From the Antec site if you click on specs from the TC II page you get error 404 (page not found),

but as you show if you click on specs from the TP II 550W page you get combined specs for both.

I have not seen the TC II for sale in the US as yet.

EPS is highly recommended for multi-CPU systems, as an OC'er you might prefer the adjustable rails.

Only the SS has the SS's cross-loading requirements.

Dave

thx for the quick reply.

i think the tcII 550 is actually same as the tpII 550, except the TC has adjustable rail. but i think this psu should be good enough to handle my system yea..

don't really know what that cross-current requirement is.. but will have a look more regarding this from their website.. now i think i will just wait to get the tcII550..

bcoz of the price of the ss650w, which looks really good to me that need only another about 30 extra on top of tcII550 to get it .. but since it has cross-current requirements as what you guys talking about, i might just go for tcII550

thx for the quick reply.

i think the tcII 550 is actually same as the tpII 550, except the TC has adjustable rail. but i think this psu should be good enough to handle my system yea..

don't really know what that cross-current requirement is.. but will have a look more regarding this from their website.. now i think i will just wait to get the tcII550..

bcoz of the price of the ss650w, which looks really good to me that need only another about 30 extra on top of tcII550 to get it .. but since it has cross-current requirements as what you guys talking about, i might just go for tcII550

Yes the TC II should have the same specs as the TP II, but with the addition of the externally adjustable pots.

Enjoy your new TC II! ;)

I'd like to make a comment on the Blue Storm 500w PSU. It's a great power supply, but it has only 1 floppy drive power connector. Since the dfi nf4 boards use a floppy power connection. I can't power the FD without an adapter.

I've found that the bootable bios cd isn't working on my system, so I'm going to have to get a power adapter and install a floppy drive to update my bios.

I'd like to make a comment on the Blue Storm 500w PSU. It's a great power supply, but it has only 1 floppy drive power connector. Since the dfi nf4 boards use a floppy power connection. I can't power the FD without an adapter.

I've found that the bootable bios cd isn't working on my system, so I'm going to have to get a power adapter and install a floppy drive to update my bios.

Although listed as +12V1@15A & +12V2@15A, the total combined +12V amperage is limited to about 24A.

OK for a single VC, but not enough for dual 6800U's.