Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the ultra-D.

I'm not really interested in SLI, but I heard that by doing this mod one can install the craphics card in the lower PCI-E slot and still acheive 16x speeds. I assume you do the mod and switch over the jumpers to SLI-mode.... then, as long as only 1 card is detected, in either the upper or lower slots, it will run at 16x... is this correct?

Also, I'm currently up and running and would like this mod to go as easily as possible. Would I have to reinstall windows or any drivers if I just did this mod but wasn't planning on using SLI graphics???

Thank you.

Nope. You will never get X16 out of the second PCIe slot. The best you can get is X8 for each slot when you move the jumpers. There are only 20 PCIe lanes available on the nVidia nF4 chipset.

Not sure why you would worry about X16 in the second slot since the biggest baddest video card available barely fills 6 lanes with data and the new graphics chips won't use much more than 6 lanes of bandwidth.

If this is your only reason for performing the mod, you might as well save yourself the trouble.

I have the ultra-D.

I'm not really interested in SLI, but I heard that by doing this mod one can install the craphics card in the lower PCI-E slot and still acheive 16x speeds. I assume you do the mod and switch over the jumpers to SLI-mode.... then, as long as only 1 card is detected, in either the upper or lower slots, it will run at 16x... is this correct?

Also, I'm currently up and running and would like this mod to go as easily as possible. Would I have to reinstall windows or any drivers if I just did this mod but wasn't planning on using SLI graphics???

Thank you.

:nod: I got my SLI bride and my BFG 6600 GT OC on the way with som OCZ DDR600, I will let u guys know as soon I put everythin together... hopefully this SLI mod will work

CircuitWriter pen for $12.99.

There are several ways to apply it. I like to mask the area and dispense some of the material on a plastic surface then apply with a toothpick.

It gives you much more control of the application.

sorry, I have no idea what a circut writer pen is or does. I thought you can just use a #2 pencil and connect the two points. Am I wrong?

Oh, and you said you used a faber pencil (Did you mean fiber? :confused: ). Are most normal pencils the same type you used? Thanks!

The CircuitWriter pen dispenses an conductive fluid that dries quickly and makes the bridge across the two points.

You can complete the mod with a #2 pencil. I just feel more comfortable using the CircuitWriter pen.

Faber is a brand name of pencil. Of all the "lead" compunds, the Faber seems to be the most stable.

sorry, I have no idea what a circut writer pen is or does. I thought you can just use a #2 pencil and connect the two points. Am I wrong?

Oh, and you said you used a faber pencil (Did you mean fiber? :confused: ). Are most normal pencils the same type you used? Thanks!

lol, get this

Ultra-D+Circuit writer pen+Leadtek SLI Bridge= $165-$170

SLI-D= $180

savings= $10-$15

not much if I do say so myself :tooth: :tooth:

Well you have to figure it a few ways..

1- Say someone doesnt have the cash for a full SLI-D right away.. They can get the cheap one to save money and then mod it in the future when funds are more available..

2- For someone that likes modding the circuit writter pen could come in handy with other mods as well so its not just a one time and throw away thing..

3- Some peope might already have a Ultra-d or NF4-D but now they want to run a SLI rig.. they can just mod it instead of getting another mobo..