Sign in to follow this  
red930

Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

The nF4-D comes with the jumper puller so you can change to the X8 and X8 configuration for dual video cards. Without the mod, the board will still support dual video cards so you need a way to change the jumper from the standard X2 and X16 configuration.

i guess that makes sense, im gonna hold off buying the board chip for a while and get a watercooler and the enermax PSU, ill need the watercooler for a board like this, and the better PSU so I can ensure stability, but I can use the 2 in the interim, then all I would have to do is get the board chip, and a vid card, thanks all for the advice, my minds made up, one of the non sli flavors and just mod it :D sounding good to me

now again I ask, whats the best method of connection on the chipset, would a tiny bead of solder be ok, or should I look at a conductive paint pen? I just dont trust #2 leaded pencil as it rubs off very easily

what do i ask for, or where is a good place to look for one? any links to something would be appreciated, would a silver metallic sharpie marker work for something like this?

what do i ask for, or where is a good place to look for one? any links to something would be appreciated, would a silver metallic sharpie marker work for something like this?

Sharpie will not work..

Link to circuit pen.. Thats what you need if your not comfortable doing it with a pencil..

Another thing that works a Window Defogger kit from your local auto parts store.. Maybe check if you can get that and if its cheaper that will better than the pencil..

ok sounds good, ill remember what i need when the time comes, thanks again guys for all the answers

No problem.. If you have any problems or questions just ask.. :)

Also be sure to post back here about your success with the mod..

Radio Shack has Circuit Writer pens for $12.99. Call ahead to make sure they have one in stock. It's on the middle isle, all the way back on the right hand side in the standard store layout.

radio shacks around here have the pen, i also hit a couple of auto stores looking for the window defroster fluid, and well, after looking at both the few extra dollars for the pen is well worth it

thanks for the advice, went ahead and bought the pen so i have it for when i can get the board

This may only be helpful to ppl still considering what to buy ... but if you are looking at this doing this mod and wondering where to get a SLI bridge (like I was) just want to let you know my Gigabyte card shipped with a SLI bridge and one of thos pci brackest to hold it in place. Not sure if this means it will ship will all Gigabyte cards, just the turbo force ones, or what ..... just thought i would thow it out there.

I'll let you know how the card actually runs in a few days when the rest of my stuff gets here, but it did get a good review at Tom Hardware.

ExRoadie,so u say if i plan to buy now Ultra-D i will probably still get the sli-mod-capable chip on it?

(From Ananda's - Future Chips will be moded to prevent SLI-Mod)

Tnx !

Nothing is guaranteed, but there are chipsets from the original orders in the pipeline as we speak.

There have been reports of chipsets with larger areas of epoxy coverage on the chip package. The epoxy can be removed and the bridge points exposed.

As soon as I see one of the chipsets with this "improvement" I will post the mod.

If you don't need the SIL SATA RAID controller or the extra lan port, you can save even more money by getting the nF4-D board and modding it to SATA II and SLI.