Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

I have an original Ultra-D (Ordered from newegg on release day)

Modded board with circuit writer pen.

Bought a Bridge from a Fellow overclocker who didnt need his

Now running dual 6800GS's

Super Sweet.

Ohhh I was wondering how the gs's would perform any benchies?? any problems running sli??

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no luck for me with the mod, I have done it over 10 times.

Sorry to hear that POGE :( Monday night, when I have my powersupply I should know if mine will mod. Crossing my fingers. But I think if my board could not be modded, then would they bother putting the epoxy there? hehe wishfull thinking mabee.. I will let you know how it goes.

Out of interest, how many people have tried this mod even though they don't have any current plans to do an SLI config? And how many people have done it and suspect they will never set up an SLI config?

I was considering doing it at one stage but after my last board broke, I decided it would be foolish to do anything which could cause problems when trying to claim warranty without any reason to do so. Yes I know they'll probably not going to bother to look and if I am careful and properly remove any marks, it'll be hard for them to say for sure I moded. But if they do look and they claim I did mod it, then what? I could try and fight them but it may not be easy. Perhaps those of you in US have less to worry about, I don't know. But personally, I consider it too risky.

I definitly intend to set up sli cards in the event my MB mods correctly. I never even knew about this mod untill after I purchased my board. As far as the warranty goes.. bla bla bla.. A enthusiest/overclocker rarely basis his decisions on warranty. :) Peace

The nF4-D comes with the jumper puller so you can change to the X8 and X8 configuration for dual video cards. Without the mod, the board will still support dual video cards so you need a way to change the jumper from the standard X2 and X16 configuration.

and from anandtech

An additional side effect of this second action is that the "Dual Video" mode, which performs at about 90% of SLI performance levels, will only work with nVidia SLI drivers 66.75 or earlier. If you do a quick check of web driver postings you will see it is now very difficult to find 66.75 drivers. With a chipset modded to SLI the "Dual Video" mode worked through 70.xx versions of the nVidia driver. nVidia also made it clear they will continue to make driver changes to prevent functioning of any "non-standard" (8X/8X) operation of their SLI driver.

Sorry for da stupid questions, but based on exroadie said 'without mod the board still support dual video cards' .. then why should we mod da board?

and what driver did anandtech talk about? since i have 6.70 driver for my nf4 and 81.95 for my display .. which one is better .. 2 vga card with x16/x2 or x8/x8?

thankz

and from anandtech

Sorry for da stupid questions, but based on exroadie said 'without mod the board still support dual video cards' .. then why should we mod da board?

and what driver did anandtech talk about? since i have 6.70 driver for my nf4 and 81.95 for my display .. which one is better .. 2 vga card with x16/x2 or x8/x8?

thankz

The Ultra-D like you have in your sig, Does support duel VGA support without any mod. But it does not support SLI mode without the mod. There are other reasons for being able to use two VGA cards. For example output to four monitors. Sorry for my lack of details, I am very new to this forum. Good luck.

Its crazy, mine doesnt even have epoxy, and it wont mod. I dont think its a skill issue either, I have done the athlon xp unlocking mod. :(

I am starting to wonder if they started useing another method of prevention. Because if you have no epoxy, I think of two possibilities. One being your board is one of the first ones, in which case you would expect it to have worked. And the other being that they have taken smarter steps to prevent people from modding. When did you buy your board?

Here's a little background.

Motherboards are not populated with the BIOS and chipset until they are ready to be packaged.

Many more boards are made than ever see the street. Some fail in preliminary testing.

As they are packaged, the most current BIOS is flashed to the chip before insertion. Additionally, the current available chipset and HSF are installed.

This is why there was a change from the unprotected contact points to the ones covered with epoxy.

It is entirely possible that nVidia has modified the chipset package to disable the connection of the contact points.

Of course it's still most probable that you're just having trouble getting the contacts connected..

We'll have to wait and see if others start reporting this issue. Until then it's all speculation.

I am starting to wonder if they started useing another method of prevention. Because if you have no epoxy, I think of two possibilities. One being your board is one of the first ones, in which case you would expect it to have worked. And the other being that they have taken smarter steps to prevent people from modding. When did you buy your board?