Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

Lol, its official. I soldiered all 3 bridges, and it still doesnt work. It just boots and where it should say "nf4 standard" or nf4 sli" it says nothing. Blank. Nada. :(
Ummm there's only 2 points to bridge, you sure you're looking at the right spot?

-pickles

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be performing this mod as well. Board was purchased back in June of '05. Really hoping that it doesn't have the epoxy on it. I went out and got the circuitwriter pen for like 10 bucks. was a good deal. really hoping that it's easier than it looks.

ok, i think i just ruined my brand new mobo. just bought this thing over the thanksgiving break and it arrived last friday. im putting my system together and thought i'd give the mod a try.

my chip has a coating over the contacts. not sure it its epoxy or not. i really dont know what epoxy is, but isn't it supposed to be soft? this stuff is pretty hard. i took an exacto out and barely poked it to see how hard it was and the blade slipped and cut into the chip. it's not deep, but i can slightly feel the scratch with the edge of a piece of paper. how deep below the surface are the circuits? did i just ruin my mobo? :( :sad: :sad: :sad:

POGE I spent two days trying to get this mod to work. After a lot of thinking, trying, and headaches I figured it out. Try this, connect the two pairs of contact points using the circuitwriter pen that enable SATA II on the board (http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...light=nf4%20mod) along with the SLI contact points, don't forget to scrape the contact points a little with an X-Acto knive to expose them some more for a better connection. It seems that on this board you have make all three connections in order for the mod to work. I started with just the SLI connection thinking that that was all I needed to do, I used a #2 pencil and then a circuitwriter pen, and nothing woked. Then I said (on day two) let me try making all connections to see what happens, and wahlaa it worked. Don't give up. Goodluck. Oh and by the way I had no epoxy on my chipset I got my MOBO from the egg in November.

drossel I just saw your pic and it is epoxy, just try turning on the computer to see if everything still works, to me the scratch didn't look that bad. You do have to be extremely careful though when messing with the MOBO.

drossel I just saw your pic and it is epoxy, just try turning on the computer to see if everything still works, to me the scratch didn't look that bad. You do have to be extremely careful though when messing with the MOBO.

hopefully, it isn't. im building a brand new system and still waiting for my HD's. i sure hope i dont have to buy another mobo. :(

I plan to mod my Ultra-D I bought over the summer into an SLI board over Christmas, but I have just one question: When I update the BIOS from DFI's site, should I continue to get the BIOS for the Ultra-D or should I start to get the BIOS from the SLI board? I have read on this thread that I need to simply download a BIOS which is "SLI-compatible", but I simply want to know if both BIOS' are SLI capable, or if there are significant enough differences to warrant transitioning to the BIOS associated with SLI boards from DFI's site. Thank you.

hopefully, it isn't. im building a brand new system and still waiting for my HD's. i sure hope i dont have to buy another mobo. :(

Like Oblen said the scratch doesnt look real bad at all.. the only way to know is hook it up when you get your stuff and hope its ok..

I plan to mod my Ultra-D I bought over the summer into an SLI board over Christmas, but I have just one question: When I update the BIOS from DFI's site, should I continue to get the BIOS for the Ultra-D or should I start to get the BIOS from the SLI board? I have read on this thread that I need to simply download a BIOS which is "SLI-compatible", but I simply want to know if both BIOS' are SLI capable, or if there are significant enough differences to warrant transitioning to the BIOS associated with SLI boards from DFI's site. Thank you.
The Ultra-D and SLI-D use the same bios so it doesnt matter which one you use..

I did not have to change any settings on the bios, after the mod boot up detection says nf4 SLI. Turned off system then unplug, put the jumpers to SLI reboot with two vid cards in then setup did the rest. I used the bridge that came from my SLI-DR.