Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

All nF4 SLI, Ultra and D series chipsets come off the same production line. The difference is which points are connected on the top surface.

nVidia did start adding a healthy glob of epoxy over the connections after the initial run was packaged.

Electrically they are identical.

epoxy??? :confused:

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did this mod to a schpankity new Ultra-D today and it was a piece of cake. There was just a small drop of epoxy and it came off in about 20 seconds with the tip of an exacto knife. Used a conductive pen from Radio Shack to bridge the 2 solder points and it's all good. Thanks!

-pickles

Wouldn't life be grand if you could mod women this easily?!?!

Just did this mod to a schpankity new Ultra-D today and it was a piece of cake. There was just a small drop of epoxy and it came off in about 20 seconds with the tip of an exacto knife. Used a conductive pen from Radio Shack to bridge the 2 solder points and it's all good. Thanks!

-pickles

First of all thanks for the tips and the guide guys, It was pretty straight forward on modding the chipset.

Anyway, I was wondering has any one try a pair of regular 6600 with the newest driver 78.01 in the modded SLI, cause I one 6600 and if it works, then I plan on getting a 2nd one but if not then I would go with the 6800GT.

Some people are running 6600's in SLI config. The only thing about buying another

6600 is that it has to be the same brand and the exact same BIOS or SLI will not work. I have a 6600GT right now and will soon be upgrading to 6800GT or Ultra depending on price, than when more games are supporting SLI I will get a second video card. A pair of 6800Ultras would do just fine for me.

I have the NF4 D and I have done everything to the two leads and It wont boot up to SLI for anything, I havent tried to boot windows and look but the boot screen says nForce4 Standard and It wont do anything else. I first tried the pencil and ground the mess out of it attempting to get it to werk, Its now down to the copper and I tried the silver pen and nothing. So Either Im doing something wrong or they have done somehting to stop the mod. It was purchaced this month about a week ago from the egg and If it wont work soon im gonna RMA that beast and get a MSI SLI cause now I have to 6800GTs and no mobo, I kinda screwd up getting this one in the first place. the egg pics showed it came with the sli connector and everything but thats my fault for not checking.

Any Ideas? New revision? bad connectors? Im gettin ready to quit :confused:

There is no stopping the mod.

You simply aren't getting the connection between the contact points. Once they are connected the rig will boot showing SLI enabled in the BIOS POST screen.

Give it another shot with the CircuitWriter pen. Make sure you clean the contact points before applying the bridge material especially if you are trying to use a pencil.

If you use a pencil try a Faber #2. It has the best results so far.

I have the NF4 D and I have done everything to the two leads and It wont boot up to SLI for anything, I havent tried to boot windows and look but the boot screen says nForce4 Standard and It wont do anything else. I first tried the pencil and ground the mess out of it attempting to get it to werk, Its now down to the copper and I tried the silver pen and nothing. So Either Im doing something wrong or they have done somehting to stop the mod. It was purchaced this month about a week ago from the egg and If it wont work soon im gonna RMA that beast and get a MSI SLI cause now I have to 6800GTs and no mobo, I kinda screwd up getting this one in the first place. the egg pics showed it came with the sli connector and everything but thats my fault for not checking.

Any Ideas? New revision? bad connectors? Im gettin ready to quit :confused:

what is a CircuitWriter pen and do i have to have 1?

Its just another way of connecting the contacts.. You dont need to use one but its the more permanent way to mod it.. It still can be removed but its much harder to get off then erasing pencil.. ;)

if i use a #2 pencil, all i have to do is colour it in to join the 2 contacts?
Correct..

GL.. :nod: