Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on so many factors that you can't control.

Just remember! You did it once you can do it again.

ah shooot lol, i'm scared now... So does this mean it will really fail in a couple months or a year?

Only the mod will fail. If the two points lose contact the chipset just defaults to normal.

lol, so the board anit gonna fry or burn up at all?? How does it fail?? I literally made the place where the 2 were into a big fat line.

Hey I thought you guys all might want to know this.

I bought my DFI Ultra-D about 1 and a half months ago, and just yesterday when I replaced the chipset fan with a NB47J (silence :shake: ) I noticed that the two contacts that you stated needed to be connected are actually now covered by some clear glue or other paste that prevents them from being connected.

Doesnt bother me as I have an ATI card, but I thought I would just let you all know. :)

Hey I thought you guys all might want to know this.

I bought my DFI Ultra-D about 1 and a half months ago, and just yesterday when I replaced the chipset fan with a NB47J (silence :shake: ) I noticed that the two contacts that you stated needed to be connected are actually now covered by some clear glue or other paste that prevents them from being connected.

Doesnt bother me as I have an ATI card, but I thought I would just let you all know. :)

If you took the time to actually read this thread you would know that the epoxy doesnt prevent you from doing the mod.. ;)

This Mod works, easy as cake to do! However, if you have an 6600 seriers card you can't run SLI at all. I have ran NVIDIA driver 66.18 or earlier and have no problems with running a single card. However, in order to get this to run in SLI with any 6600 series card you must mod the board, then flash bios on cards (if needed), and then you must update NVIDIA DRIVERS (if older than 66.18) in order to get drivers to detect SLI in windows.

((Nvidia Tech emailed and said 6600gt SLI support picks up with drivers newer than 66.18))

ONCE you update the NVIDIA drivers, it screws the 12 volt line and lower the volts to around 11.84 or lower. This causes the NVIDIA driver to detect low sentinel power mod, which underclocks the card so gaming is not an option. I have rock solid evidence it not this hardware related, but in fact. Driver related. NVIDIA trying to stop a few modders (LOL). Give it time there will be a fix.

I have gathered a few friends together and they have had the same issue with SLI on the 6600 series cards as we tested there sytems. Remeber all 6600 series cards do not have the extra power molex connection (unless the 512 6600gt by evga) and all newer (6800-7800)cards have the extra power molex. Hence the problem. We have tried this on two other boards a Abit fatality & MSI neo plat4 sli. Those systems consist of SILVERSTONE ZEUS 650W and Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W both are SLI certified PSU's. Did driver cleaner and installed 3 set of drivers all pre- 66.18. And no issues with low power warnings. Went to set systems for SLI, and bam no go. THIS is only an issue with 6600 series. as soon as we put a 6800gt or the 6800 in sli we have no issue. Now remember 3 different boards, 3 different PSU's, and a bazillion drivers tried.

Somehow someway. those drivers mess with the volts supplied from the board to the PCI slot. In all casesit lowed the rails to cause issues only with the 6600 series cards. Since they have no auxilary molex connector they have in fact rendered only the 6600 cards. You cant run SLI with any board with drivers earlier than 66.18. per NVDIA's website support forum.

THANK GOD FOR EBAY! DITCHIN THOSE FOR A LOSS. LOL

DFI fan for life.

If you took the time to actually read this thread you would know that the epoxy doesnt prevent you from doing the mod.. ;)

Sorry, last time I read through it (a month or so ago) I didnt see it then, and didnt think the thread went much further. Sorry I will read further next time. The epoxy wont prevent it but it sure will make it harder. :)

Somehow someway. those drivers mess with the volts supplied from the board to the PCI slot. In all casesit lowed the rails to cause issues only with the 6600 series cards. Since they have no auxilary molex connector they have in fact rendered only the 6600 cards.

So it's the drivers messing with the power supply? Or is it that the 6600 cards don't have the extra power connector? You seem to be saying it's both - do you mean that if the 6600 cards HAD the extra power connector that they would work?

I don't know why I'm even asking, as I've run SLI in my machine with two 6600gt cards and it worked just fine. Both cards overclocked to 550 on the GPU and the power supply bottomed out around 11.98 V.

sluggo

PS I might be interested in your 6600gt cards if they're still for sale.

PPS I'd also be interested in knowing how the video card drivers establish a control path to the regulators in the power supply. Please elaborate.

hmm

sorry i didnt read all thread lookin for an answer to this,

1st question:

but would there be ANY possible reason NOT to mod my ultra-d to sli-d?

cause atm im changing the chipset fan + heatsink, so it might be a good time to do this mod too

i have no plans at all yet to use SLI, but who knows... perhaps someday...

2th question:

i dont see any epoxy (whatever that may be) between the 2 points that have to be connected (its also kinda small, perhaps thats the reason?)

i bought my ultra-d end february

is this possible? does this mean i dont have to scrape anything of before connecting the 2 points?

3th question:

i dont like pencil at all, i would hate it if i had to repencil the damn chipset every year... if i do it i wanne do it final and foreva!

i also dont wanne spend more then 10 euro on some special stuff that does the trick (it aint worth it, since i prolly wont use it anyway)

so i was thinking: can i (i kinda mean a friend with this ;)) solder it perhaps?

i think it should be possible too

in the time of the socket a amd cpu's i had a duron 800 which also needed 2 small points to be connected

i tried this first with a crappy pencil, but a week later it started flippin allready

so i asked someone at my work back then, to solder it for me

it has been runnin unlocked and overclocked ever since

never had problems with it

never had to redo anything

it was perfect...

can i do the same with the chipset?