Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

Alright I tried the mod...

I believe my board came with the epoxy, but it looked like it was applied further to the right than what it should have been. I was also suprised at how thin the stuff was, like a tiny layer of paint. Anyways I scraped to clear away what may or may not have been epoxy, I heard some of them had a clear layer of some kind of sealent that had to be scraped away from the pins. I did both just in case. After scraping pins, epoxy and in between the pins a tad, I started to see a copper color. I stopped, fearing that I had done something terrible wrong. I was gonna go ahead and try to solder the gap... I shaved a very tiny amount of solder in the gap, as I got really close to the contacts with the iron, I realized this was probably not a good idea. Went ahead and bought the Conductive Pen from radio shack and put a drop where it needed to be. I then covered my work with a green epoxy like paint I had at work that we use on electrical motors. It was nearly a perfect match of what the epoxy looked like before I started. Unfortunately I won't get my RAM for another 5 days, so I have no way of knowing if I was successful or if I totally f-d up my new mobo. I am fearing the worst. At this point I'd be happy with a working Ultra D board and an unsuccessful mod. Hopefully I'll get a nice suprise and boot up SLI enabled. In my opinion, the stress and anxiety I have got invested in this mod, is definantly not worth the $40 bucks I saved. I hope I'm not the first disaster post, I'll let you all know in 5 days.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the board doestn support sata2? it says on newegg that it does.... and i just built a system with that board and 2 sata2 harddrives...

[edit] oh wait nevermind.. i meant to post on the other sticky.. theres 2 stickies for mod to sli and i got confused lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thavarin

First time go. Took me total of 15 minutes. I must have a new mobo, the chipset look differ from the pictures given. Etched away at the Epoxy using my trusty pocket knife and used circuit writer pen and then cleared the cmos before bootup. And first time, screen pops up with Nf4 Sli. Sweet thanks for the guide.

First time go. Took me total of 15 minutes. I must have a new mobo, the chipset look differ from the pictures given. Etched away at the Epoxy using my trusty pocket knife and used circuit writer pen and then cleared the cmos before bootup. And first time, screen pops up with Nf4 Sli. Sweet thanks for the guide.

How different did it look? Can you supply us with some pictures? I guess whatever they changed isn't too major, since the mod was still successful. So I'll try not to get too worked up about these changes.

Guest thavarin

Hey guys I am truly sorry about the mistake earliar, the chipset are no different. I had the NF Ultra chipset and I was using the page 3 diagram to do this. They are the same. Sorry again. I was just dumbfounded cause they the diagram and my chipset didnt match when I was attempting to do the SATAII connections.

All nF4 SLI, Ultra and D series chipsets come off the same production line. The difference is which points are connected on the top surface.

nVidia did start adding a healthy glob of epoxy over the connections after the initial run was packaged.

Electrically they are identical.

didn't the manufactoring process change?

nice mod ^_^