Socket 939 Discussion Thread

By the way, i'll be correcting all that crap I made two entries almost at once and got all the screenies/text fudged together. I'm sorry if it makes me look bad. They all match now. You'd noticed, I used the same screenie twice... I found the real one and relinked. Sorry.
Just fix it up in the next few days please.. thx
@Thunda ::= nice new entry. That's some tight timings and even better that they're 2x1Gb sticks. I mean, thats almost as good as bh-5 timings!
thx.. I bought a set of these from someone in the forums and then had to rma them.. I got this set as a replacement.. They dont oc at all really but they sure do run tight timings..hehe..

Alrightly.. im off to my best friends to clock up his new NF4 rig and drink some grey goose.. :)

See ya's later on and happy tweaking.. !!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Thrax : manual skew.. the last resort of a desperate man heh.. all the best with that.

@Thunda : do the clocking BEFORE the drinking. I've done it in the wrong order before and made a mess of things. (Not THAT much of a mess, I wouldn't want to know what vomit does to a mb)

@Litho : BF2 runs alright on small maps with 2x512, esp speedy bh-5 :) but I wouldn't recommend running winamp in the background heh.

Guest LithoTech
Be carefull when pumping so much vdimm while leaving your vcore at stock.. There is a thread at XS where Tony from OCZ said that its bad for the cpu to run such high vdimms with very low vcore.. It has something to do with the memory controller I think..

Here is the thread !

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79509

Try to play with Max Async (MAL) and Preamble.. I know with the entry I just did with the BH5 I was able to run MAL at 7ns when at 260x10.. but when I upped it to 285x10 180 divider I needed to change MAL to 8 for it to even load into windows..

So my point is that MAL and sometimes Preamble have alot to do with what HTT your running and not just memory stability..

Its always good to test them seperatly then you will know if one is holding you back.. I would try the orange ones for the heck of it.. But when my BH5 is in the orange ones I get 1000's of errors on the first pass of memtest..

edit..

Oh one more tip..

Last night when I was trying to get my BH5 stable at 275mhz..lol.. I raised the vdimm to 3.6v and was still getting alot of memtest errors.. Then I started messing with Drive Strength.. I noticed that if I lowered the DS to 6 or 4 it reduced the errors ALOT (down to 20-30 from thousands) when using higher vdimm..

Thankyou sir, for pointing that vdimm/vcore issue out to me. As I read the first page of posts, I definately remember reading that before. But of course that was ages ago, previous to owning high vdimm ram.

I hope I didn't hurt the poor cpu at all. :sweat:

Looking back over my notes, none of my high vdimm settings were without a little extra vcore, 1.45-1.5vcore and the ram has been up to 3.5v. Since they were never really stable, they were never stressed at those settings.

The bulk of the time running this ram has been without the voltage jumper, so 3.2vdimm. That is still cutting it close with 1.4vcore.

Then the last 5 days, she has had the jumper activated, running 3.3vdimm and still 1.4vcore, under constant load either folding or prime. Ouch! :sweat:

I've never locked down exactly what this cpu is supposed to be stock, it is either 1.35 or 1.4. It's been running at 1.4x where x = .2 or so fudge factor, reporting the same in bios and mbm. I tried running 1.35 and she was resistant even at stock speeds and the Gold ram, so she doesn't like undervolting.

I rebooted and bumped the vcore to 1.5, where it will stay whenever the jumper or this ram is installed. Good lesson learned, I won't forget it again, and my notes now have large starburst call-outs scribbled on to make sure. :D No sense fretting about it, whats done is done. It might have done some minor damage but it didn't fry it.

Priming 2.9ghz now, thanks to 1.5 vcore. :nod: Dunno why I stopped at 1.45 last night, all my other forays have gone to 1.5.

My DS is already low compared to yours, but I might play with it a bit, bump it up and down with the ram a little too fast, see the effect on error count.

After this, I'll try 2.7ghz again with 1:1 mem, I think I have some room to maybe get there with those MAL, RP and DS tips. Then it's on to the other set of sticks, singles or yellow slots.

Again, thanks for the tips and heads-up!

Guest LithoTech
@Litho : BF2 runs alright on small maps with 2x512, esp speedy bh-5 :) but I wouldn't recommend running winamp in the background heh.

Heh, problem is the server I like is large, 50+ player I think, so even the small maps stutter me to death for the first few minutes after a map load. Also, I'm the last one to join.

Drop in a 2gig kit, and stutters are magically gone, and I'm usually in first few to join a map.

Don't even think of tabbing to the desktop without more than 1gig. At least not if you are on a server and care about giving the other side a free kill. :D

Can't think of a better reason to run 4 sticks of these Centon, yup. :nod:

Heh. Just don't do like I have done and end up with more ram than you can use.

I currently have 3Gb of tccd that needs a home with all my machines already running full dimms. I heart bh-5.

I hear that !

I have about 5gig's of ram thats not being used right now with two rigs up and running with 2gig's each..lol I actually sold off alot of extra ram I had a few months ago.. I think at one time I had about 9gig's of extra ram..

Geez I need help.. :shake:

I feel your pain THunDA.:) My upgrades are put on halt for awhile due to the new crew cab 4X dually sitting in my driveway. Needed a new tow rig for my race operation more than SLI.

Guest LithoTech

I've been cautious to not collect too much ram, particulalry because in the near future I'll eventually need to start a DDR2 collection.

I have one older socket A system that could use one 1gb kit since it has been folding on a single 512mb stick last couple of months, it's still a good second gaming rig except that I took one of its 512mb sticks for another system.

My Plat kit was to be a spare or go in the above box, but I'll have better luck selling it or putting it in an upgrade or build my Brother is planning. Depending on how the BH-5 reacts in the socket A system, I may have to hold out and sell it and stick the Plats in the socket A.

My kids' socket 754 system is running on 1gb generic ram that does quite well at 225mhz. I certainly have the option of swapping those sticks with one of my kits and then unload the generic.

So that leaves me with a 1gb BH-5 kit and a 2gb Gold XTC kit and no spares except for a single 512mb stick of mushkin, and/or perhaps the two sticks of generic. I still have room for a TCCD kit for sure.

One more option is to run all four sticks of BH-5 and unload the XTC, but I'd rather not do that since the XTC is so well behaved and great for gaming.

If I end up keeping them all, I'm still quite content except that I still don't have some TCCD.

And I still don't have a x4 Crew cab, or anything to tow with it! Damn you! :sweat::D

Guest LithoTech
Hope its a chevy 4X dually But your probly gonna say ford :D

Ford sold more trucks in the state of Texus, than they did for all cars and trucks in all of Canada, 2004 iirc. Their trucks are fine, but so are most of the heavy duty trucks these days. Can't go wrong really.

Heheh, what really matters is what he's towing behind it, fer shore! At the risk of being off topic for one more sentance, any links to some pics of your racer?