Socket 939 Discussion Thread

Guest LithoTech

Man, oh... man.

Finally figured out what's been holding my ram back from getting 265 or more.

Heat.

I'm pretty sure. I spotted it, like clockwork. When running memtest 5, as soon as the thermal sensor hits 42c on one stick, I get errors. Only happens when the voltage is 3.5, and only happens when I let test 5 run long enough for the temp to register 42C on the front panel. I think the sensor isn't in the stick enough, because yeah, she's hot, no burn meh, but hot.

All the while, if I run full passes it has been fine. This through me off, and had thought I was good to go when I maybe wasn't, and was failing OCCT, P95, or even getting into XP.

Of course, the ram doesn't cook up like it does with just test 5! Whenever I have 3.5volts in the ram, and run test 5 long enough, it cooks to 42C and errors. Its the far stick from the CPU and hotter than the other which is getting extra cooling from the AC 64.

Ambient temp here has raised a good 3-4 degrees too, which isn't helping.

Still lots to try. Got a couple ideas maybe improve the cooling a bit in the case, swap the sticks and see if the other is as sensitive, still have another kit to test, time to try the xp-120, ooooh and it's a long weekend. :D

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throwing a fan on my Twinmos (powerchip) resolved test5 errors I was getting at 255 1:1 with around 3.1-3.2v. Now it can run error free all night.

The last 5% of test 5 always seems to be the place to fine tune those timings and voltages... always the last part to error for me. The first part of test 3 gets a couple of errors if the timings are too tight, but with that, test 5 gets thousands.

Guest caffeinejunkie

it appears mine was deleted again

good times

so what was wrong now

it appears mine was deleted again

good times

so what was wrong now

hmmm.. I only deleted your first one, I will have to ask AG..

Do you have a copy of the entry you posted ?

If you do then pm it to me and I will let you know whats wrong..

Guest caffeinejunkie

06 isnt a requirment

and I pmed my orignial to thunda and hes asking AG

only thing I can figure is because I tossed in a suicide shot for kicks

Guest LithoTech
Throwing a fan on my Twinmos (powerchip) resolved test5 errors I was getting at 255 1:1 with around 3.1-3.2v. Now it can run error free all night.

The last 5% of test 5 always seems to be the place to fine tune those timings and voltages... always the last part to error for me. The first part of test 3 gets a couple of errors if the timings are too tight, but with that, test 5 gets thousands.

Yeah, I already have two fans in the area, so my thought is to changeup on direction and/or placement and speeds. In another discussion, I probably just put my foot in my mouth, stating a bit of turbulance is OK because any air movement will still take heat off a surface. Well obviously, two large fans in the area of this one stick isn't enough or causing turbulance or a pocket of space that isn't getting replenished.

The Twinmos chip the one up by the voltage jumper? The one that gets extra hot?

In the same discussion I'm eating my feet in, a fellow modded some extra heatsink to the mosfet heatsink up by the 4v jumper on his ultra-d, took a bunch of temp off where it used to burn his finger can now prime all night and just be warm:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...373&postcount=1

http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4vheatsink2vu.jpg

I thought I would keep my eye open for some materials to make a mod like this, maybe pick something off a $2-5 mobo at the next swap meet, or pull something out of an old PSU.

Then I saw it on my shelf...

A brand new Zalman ZM-NB47J I picked up to replace a failing crystal orb on a clients machine.

This epitomy struck me as I had my case already on the bench to change the voltage jumper over, move a thermal sensor, and a few other things. So I broke open the package and did a dry fit.

Took some pics. It isn't positioned properly, didn't realise that until after the camera was put away. But you get the size, position and proportions good.

I figure this would cut in half and fit on two mobos, or perhaps the other half could help somewhere else on the same mobo?

z1s7ld.jpg

z2s6bu.jpg

Hey LithoTech, that's some nice temps on that opty. Have you ran up your clock to see what the temps are with the freezer pro 64? I'm thinking of a different HSF on my opty as the Zalman temps at 2700 for me are about 30 idle and 38 load, but at 290 I'm running 33-35 idle and 45 loaded. Any higher clock and I have to turn up the fans and I've grown to like the quiet.

Hey LithoTech, that's some nice temps on that opty. Have you ran up your clock to see what the temps are with the freezer pro 64? I'm thinking of a different HSF on my opty as the Zalman temps at 2700 for me are about 30 idle and 38 load, but at 290 I'm running 33-35 idle and 45 loaded. Any higher clock and I have to turn up the fans and I've grown to like the quiet.

45 loaded is quite acceptable.high 40's and 50's and mayhaps you can get worried. ;)

45 loaded is quite acceptable.high 40's and 50's and mayhaps you can get worried. ;)

You are right of course, but for 35 or 40 dollars if the load temps are lowered as much as the idle temps on lithotech's opty, maybe I get another year out of this cpu? I really don't know, but I've heard that lower is better, and that Artic Freezer seems to be getting as low temps as the water kits I've been looking at for almost 300 dollars.

BTW the Cowboy Song is in my top five as well as that album it's on. Ever listen to early King Crimson?