CPU fan doesn't register RPM

I got my Panaflo M1A 92mm plugged into the CPUFan plug right next to my heatsink on the mobo, but no matter what program I use [not even BIOS], the RPM doesn't show up. I can get my chipset to show up, and my "fan2", which is the plug my exhaust fan is plugged into, but my front fan [plugged into fan4] and my HSF doesn't show. Here's what shows in SpeedFan:

Fan01: 0 RPM [i'm assuming thats my CPU fan]

Fan02: 1372 RPM [exhaust fan]

Fan03: 5273 RPM [chipset fan]

[no Fan04 shows up]

It says what in NOTES?

92mm Case Fan: Panaflo M1A

Click to enlarge

The most famous fan in the market is back in stock! The Panaflo M1A fan provides great performance at 48.0 CFM without much added noise to your case. The M1A fan is Panaflo's mid-range fan and provides a great balance between sound and air flow. This is a high quality fan manufactured by Panasonic.

Features:

Aerodynamic blade design

Locked rotor protection and auto-start function

Low circuit noise

Hydro Wave bearing

Specifications:

Rated Voltage: 12 V

Operating Voltage: 7-13.8 V

Rated Current: 150 mA

Rated Input: 1.80 W

Speed: 2450 rpm

Air Flow: 48.0 CFM

Noise: 30.0 dBA

Note: These fans come with bare wire tails. We have included the 3 pin connectors at no charge. The adapters will swap with the current tails and allow the fan to be used in 3 pin applications; there is no wiring/soldering involved. Panaflo fans do not support RPM sensoring.

I got my Panaflo M1A 92mm plugged into the CPUFan plug right next to my heatsink on the mobo, but no matter what program I use [not even BIOS], the RPM doesn't show up. I can get my chipset to show up, and my "fan2", which is the plug my exhaust fan is plugged into, but my front fan [plugged into fan4] and my HSF doesn't show. Here's what shows in SpeedFan:

Fan01: 0 RPM [i'm assuming thats my CPU fan]

Fan02: 1372 RPM [exhaust fan]

Fan03: 5273 RPM [chipset fan]

[no Fan04 shows up]

I have a 120mm Panaflo on my XP-120 CPU cooler and it also doesn't seem to have an RPM sensor (as Rgone's post informs). It always shows up as 0 RPM and I've tried other fans on that header to make sure it is working. I have no idea why they bother with putting that third, yellow wire on the connector if they don't use it. I guess it's just cheaper than using a different cable assembly.

• 8 months later...

k listen man,

if u have 3 wires(red,blk,yellow)yellow being the rpm sensor then your cool is not and only 2 wires blkred then your also cool(just make sure its spinning and your fine.and typically for the record.a cpu fan port should say cpu fan on mobo,but...if not then fan #1 is it(close to cpu socket ovoiusly)

the yellow wirerpm is not needed nor affect performance at all,minus monitering views which blah whatever.u wanna fell safe in your bios set your recommanded chip manufacters high temp setting to shut down pc on thermal overload option..read up on iy iys 30 second setting.good luck bro.u guys should check out my latest thread were i made a custom window kit i made cold air intake for winter!!woo

I am using xp-120 with panaflow 1A. I read somewhere that if rpm is too low, it would not display. I use speedfan to control it to run at 70% speed to make it almost silent. So the yellow wire does function.