Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Neil - That just means that that memory is failing, Return it ASAP, as i said in last post, it only takes 48 hours for you send it and them get a new set back to you, Very good for that and the new TD1's are better for sure.

sesdave - Well i've just kept it at 240 for a long time now. I can get 260 but my temps are hitting 55 which i dont really like. I will crank it upto 250 soon, which i had it on before i sent my 2nd set back to crucial, Just taking every precortion this time and not slamming them in full belt fro mthe get go. Plus the fact i really dont need the extra power anyway haha. I use Adobe Production Studio Premier and Resolume more than i play games now. I just have no need for the extra humph for 5/10 FPS anymore. When i come to the end of this system when all this vista/DX10 and the ATI R600 comes available ill be getting a new system anyway. Mid/End next year. Be moving china to teach english then so cheap cheap cheap :)

Hope these new Vid Chips stop using so much power as well, there getting ridiculas with 1KW power supplys, Electric bills are going be HUGE!!!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 170 and found that the 406 bios worked best for both that and the ballistix sticks. The temps seemed lower on CPU for reasons I didn't look into but made me happy- you should give it a try the feedback is very good. I had that at 280 with the ballistix 1:1 3,3,3,8 . Did a suicide run with it DDR650 just to post a CPUZ verified.!

As I am sure you know Ballistix sticks should be able to run 2.5,3,2,5-7 upto 490 no problem with 2.6-2.7 volts. 4.4.8 is pretty loose and as you say the lateset revision seem to have solved all problems. Like you I will be upgrading next year - I only overclock for fun and have squeezed the last frop out of this setup - I can boot 3.1 ,run AQM3 but cant get stable so I have settled for 2.9 but am getting bored so I am touring the forums to see if I can offer my miserable advice to help others. I love the bills - I use my PC as a heater in the winter!

Neil - That just means that that memory is failing, Return it ASAP, as i said in last post, it only takes 48 hours for you send it and them get a new set back to you, Very good for that and the new TD1's are better for sure.

Thought so , just waiting for my new Gskill ram to put in then ill rma the ballistix sticks :cool:

sesdave, Ill give that bios ago, By saying that you made me relise when i updated the Bio's that the temps went up around that time. You may have just hit what i needed to get that 2.6 below 50C, Worth a shot.

EDIT: Just read about the 406 bios, Lots of fixes and alot to do with opterons and temp stuff so have give it a go, WHen i get my comp back on the net. Currently moving house which is a ball ache

Neil - Yes, G-Skills are good, theres not much in it at all. Why dont you keep them both and have 4GB haha

When you flash the 406 try the settings I posted. I know all RAM has subtle differences dependant on the chip quality and they may not work as well for the sticks you have but they are good tight basic settings and I have found that the ballistix on the sli-dr with the 406 have worked very well for me. Anything above 250 use 3,3,3,8 below 490 you should be able to use 2.5,3,2,5-7. Same settings when I had the 170 ran 2.80 at DDR560 with 2.7v. My current PC with 166 divider running them on my PC at DDR540 with 2.7v. will run with 2.6v but I think I needed to go 2.7v to get 24/7 stable. SuperPI 1M 29secs. I can run them on a 180 divider but need a little tweaking to get them stable.

Yes, nothing uses more than 2GB unless your doing anything like me with Video/Music/Image editing, where the extra memory really helps. 2GB is for you, Unless your planning on upgading to Vista in the next year, That will mean getting more than 2GB!!!

But really, Vista/DX10 and all that means litterally, new system time!!! Ill be updating mid/end next year when its all settled down and moving to vista/dx10. But i bet when thats all settled they'll be releasing XDR memory or something. NVidia apparently been playing with XDR on there cards, maybe on the 8 series????? Dont think XDR is suitable for PC RAM i read somewhere, something do with having do multiple things or something.

DX10 doesnt work on XP either, Vista only, DX10 as been written from ground up. Next year our systems will be classed as out of date and 'OLD'

I just did a prime test for both cores, set each core 400meg so using about 800 total ram... i got virtual memory problems opening up just firefox! , then about 30mins later the system just rebooted while i was using it :mad:

What size is your pagefile set at? Also, why are you using a LDT of 'x 4' instead of 'x 5' since you are running stock 200MHz?

What size is your pagefile set at? Also, why are you using a LDT of 'x 4' instead of 'x 5' since you are running stock 200MHz?

ldt of 4x? huh im using 3x in bios , im not running stock 200mhz

pagefile has been risen to 4000/4000 on a seperate hard drive now