Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

THe L503 are the 512MB DIMMS and the Z503 are 1GB, so obviously the 1GB are better. I dont know about anything to do with F but i can tell you that they are TD1's now and not the origional TD's. THe TD1's are out performing the TD's from what ive heard and read and also from personal experience also. As you can see from my sig, i didnt get the TD1's till my 3rd set but as you've said, they were all fantyastic, they just died a strange death. But ive heard no problems from the TD1's and 300Hz from them seems to be the normal, many people are able to get this no problem. Stock ratings of 250 can be done on 2.6V and not the 2.8V reccomended which is excellent and upto 280ish on 2.7V seems quite normal too. In one word, there AWESOME!!!

YOu wont be disapointed ;)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That F revision you're talking about are the chips themselves. The TD's had Micron 5B-D chips, which were the ones that died a lot. The TD1's have 5B-F chips, which are the good ones. No site should be selling old TD's anymore, the death rate has pretty much pushed them out of the loop.

Unless you are Cisco or their other high-end customers who pay a premium , you will never know what IC's you are getting from Micron. They may be 5b-d or 5b-f.

I don't know what mine are, but they have been my top performers since I started tinkering with PCs.

Mmm, About the F revision, sorry, I was talking about the chip and not the RAM (n_w95482 corrected that). The only way of knowing if the RAM has 5B-F chips is through the TD1 code outside the package? So I can't really know what chip I'll get until I get it? Hehe!

-"No site should be selling old TD's anymore, the death rate has pretty much pushed them out of the loop."

So if I buy from Newegg now I'll probably get the 5B-F chips?

Why is Newegg selling SO much cheaper (there are actually two Z503 RAM, one is Z503 and the other is just Z503.16T, the first is $199,00 and the other $219,00. Can anyone tell me why? the L503 is selling for $229,00, I think I'll get that just to be sure). Crucial is selling their RAM for about $340,00+, is that because they are new revision? I'm really confused! (it seems that Crucial is shipping their RAM with a special heatspreader because of their 10th aniversary, look here: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.Asp...BL2KIT12864Z503 and here:http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.Asp...BL2KIT12864L503 . I sent and email to ask about that, look at the new cool HS: http://images.crucial.com/images/landingpa...op_1024X768.jpg)

Newegg's Crucial RAMs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....SubCategory=147

Crucial' RAMs:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.as...abid=DDR+PC4000

-"THe L503 are the 512MB DIMMS and the Z503 are 1GB, so obviously the 1GB are better."

No, the Z503 are the Crucial Ballistix and the L503 are the Crucial Ballistix Tracer (with LED lights on top and near the pins), both are 2x1GB kits. The512MB kits are x505. i_wheeldon, Thanks for aswering about the performance, I wish I get the same RAM you did!

-"I don't know what mine are, but they have been my top performers since I started tinkering with PCs."

Kingfisher, Do you still have the package of the RAM? Can you check if the are TD or TD1? Everyone that bought a Crucial Ballistix From 2 month until today only got TD1 or did someone get TD? Maybe they RMAed every single TD RAM and they are just sending TD1s now.

One last question, how much did you pay for your RAM? I'm just too curious about the strange Newegg prices vs. the Crucial prices. Just to be sure I should buy from Crucial but 100$ is a lot of money (specially if they are just for the new heatspreader!).

Well, thanks to everyone for answering!

The TD shipments should have stopped by early summer at the latest. Newegg pulled theirs back around the beginning of the year, and only recently reinstated them. I would say with confidence that they only have TD1's.

Most of the time, buying a product directly from the manufacturer is much more expensive. Newegg was selling Ballistix last year for like $250-290. I got them directly from Crucial because Newegg was out of stock with every 2 GB PC4000 set they had on there, and I paid $400+tax/shipping. And for paying that much, I had to RMA twice. Newegg ended up having a much better RMA policy about them than Crucial did; they offered complete refunds for anyone who purchased them. Crucial refused to refund me, and I had to push them to get me to ship me a set of Tracers this July, when they were out of stock with the regular TD1 sticks.

Yes, sorry about that, all these flipping numbers lol.

I really really doubt you'll get the TD's (5B-D) now, as been said, they've killed themselves out of the market and you wont find anyone selling them, Especially Newegg.

RMA in the UK is awesome, 48 hour turn around no questions asked from crucial. Excellent customer care as well. One of the reasons why i perdidted with them. Shame its not the same across the other side of the pond

Hello. Like a year ago I get the configuration from the sign. "I'm runnig everithing with stock settings". In the begimimg, everithimg was running perfect. But after a couple of months, when I start the computer it start with long beep. (I didn't touch anithing in the bios or somewhere else) so I took one of the sticks memory and the machine starts runnig fine again. I try a couple of things but I wasn't able to start the pc in dual channel any more with no problems. I start running the 2gb memory in single channel. It runs for a couple of months fine, but after that everithing happens again with no reason. Now I'm runnig 1gb of memory, and the other one stays over my desk waiting for solution. Can somebody help me to resolve this problem with some suggestions?