Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

I have seen this problem before with X2 CPUs.

Can you borrow another CPU?

Damn Sharp , you'd think with all the posts of can you try e.t.c id have loads of parts laying about or friends with the latest systems.. :P :P :P

My new power supply is due tomorrow , will go from there

So you think it could be my cpu? , it is wierd how it wont work in orange anymore almost as if there is a problem with the memory controller hmm

edit : I have seen this problem before with X2 CPUs. ( do you have any posts relating to other users regarding this? or is it personal experience ) Thanks

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask what is probably a dumb question?

I have as I psoted previously set my bios to what crucial recommend, apart from one setting, I have it set to 1T and Crucial recommend 2T, where in this latest bios for my motherboard is this setting? I have read through most of the documents you kind guys have recommended, most of it goes over my head but getting a slightly better understanding. Since upgrading the bios my ram fails with memtest? I also had it overclocked to 250 before, now it's at stock 200. I really need to know what setting the command rate is in the bios so that I can tell crucial I have set it and tried it before I go down the RMA route.

How quick are Crucial at replacing memory? Is it worth my buying another couple of dimms? saw some PNY in pc world at a resonable price.

Paul.

Why do ballistix run hot when you don't have a fan on them? yet many other memory chips don't!

What voltage are you giving them? I have mine at 2.6v and they are as cool as the other side of the pillow. I did like you and RMA'd my first set of ballistix and they were warm to the touch but would not even respond unless I gave them 2.8v or more. The old sticks of z503s were micron 5B-D, their new chips are 5B-F.

Why do ballistix run hot when you don't have a fan on them? yet many other memory chips don't!

There is no way of putting a fan over them but i have got a case fan on the side , i hope that does the job

My old TD Ballistix ran so hot that I mounted an 80mm fan right over the top of the RAM slots. These new TD1's, however, run really cool. I'm still using the fan since it's already mounted, but the TD1's don't seem to need any extra cooling.

I mentioned it eralier in this thread, but I'll mention it again- I have always run my Ballistix at 2.6v. I tried all three sets at 2.7v and 2.8v and they were not as stable as they are at 2.6v. I'm just sharing my experience, YMMV.

Yes, i got mine on 2.6 and unless i go over 260+ im fine on 2.6V, get 290 on 2.7V and to get over 300 i gotta use 2.8V And even running at 2.8V at 300Hz i can still touch them and there no where near as hot as the very first ones i had. THere fantastic these ballistix are, reaching over 300Hz on tight timing's which make DDR2 look S**T

Lol - Wheres you adventurous overclocking spirit gone! Lets turn them into toast so we dont get bored!

Seriously - have you loaded the 406 bios and tried to bump up the CPU and memory to 260 yet? Just out of interest I want to know if anyone else has success with what I have psoted to ratify the timings. They are nice and tight and work well for me!.