Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, according to rgone, there is only a few mhz speed benefit in OC'd pc4000's over pc 3200's.

But every mem controller and memory is different, so what works for me won't necessaily work for you. I'll have a loot at that other post and respond there.

No, according to rgone, there is only a few mhz speed benefit in OC'd pc4000's over pc 3200's.

But every mem controller and memory is different, so what works for me won't necessaily work for you. I'll have a loot at that other post and respond there.

True rhiridflaidd, I found little difference between using 3200 or 4000 Ballistix. What seems to miss the mind of most is that I could run Single Channel on my NF3 with the Ballistix in the 275FSB range and due to attention spans that was on a single channel board. But when I move to a Dual Channel 939 board > the FSB must fall a good 15 points to remain stable. That memory is just not as fast in Dual Channel as it single channel but then 'what memory' is? None that I am aware of.

RGone... :confused: as usual.

OH by the way if you are not 'fanning' that memory pretty good it seems to get hot and error.

Don't know Ocz problem but the Ballistix is discussed above.

RGone... :confused: as usual.

Just a small question,

I was not aware that the Ballistix range of modules had problems with the DFI nF4 board.

Is it similar to the OCZ problems?

I have nf3 but I have serious problems also. I simply CANNOT run it async. even when the async speed is exactly 200mhz, i get loads of errors in memtest or it just doesnt post. running sync (1:1) is fine at 200mhz. what the hell? it must be this bios. but it ran twinmos async fine.

The sticky above mentions OCZ,

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7559&page=1

Smoken Joe said this

"Question: most of the people who are having problems are with the non rev2 3200EL. Can I assume this is not TCCD? any recomendations on timings"

Now did anyone know that OCZ have used chips provided by Micron in some of their modules?

The Micron 5b, the same chip used in the Ballistix range memory modules.

Maybe a different revision but it is the 5b chip.

Hi jhbodle!

I´ve ran memtest for 2h30m without any errors (see my sig for specs):

- CAS Latency Control: 2.0

- RAS to CAS Delay: 2

- Min RAS active time: 8

- Row Precharge time: 2

DRAM voltage= 2.8

Every other settings on bios dram config are AUTO.

What are your most agressing and stable timings?

thanks

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately as you can see from my new sig I gave up with the Ballistix and bought some OCZ VX PC4000 RAM. System is now fully memtest stable - it seems strange to not see any errors on the memtest screen! The day I ordered the new RAM, the new 310 BIOS came out! Oh well - it reduced the errors but did not eliminate them anyway...

• 2 weeks later...