nF4 Ultra-D: PCIe 8x is plenty for 6800 GT

I know the manual says that the other slot only runs at x2, and x8 with the vumpers moved, but sisoft sandra tells me that my card is running at x16 in this slot - and I haven't moved the jumpers. The manual might be wrong about the speed of the pci-e of this card *in the abscence of a card in the conventional long pci-e slot*

So move the jumpers back - and you might be pleasantly surprised that your card will be running at x16.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the manual says that the other slot only runs at x2, and x8 with the vumpers moved, but sisoft sandra tells me that my card is running at x16 in this slot - and I haven't moved the jumpers. The manual might be wrong about the speed of the pci-e of this card *in the abscence of a card in the conventional long pci-e slot*

So move the jumpers back - and you might be pleasantly surprised that your card will be running at x16.

i tried without moving the jumpers first, and in nVidia graphics properties it said it was connected at x2. I would believe the nVidia graphics properties window over sandra any day.

moved jumpers to sli position and it changed to x8, and i have also noticed no difference in performance from x16 in the top slot. And my chipset is much happier now, chipset temp dropped around 5-10C

Here's my scores when I was running @ 2.6Ghz. I'll be re-running them once I get my system 100% stable @ 2.7Ghz.

3DMark2001SE - 29087 --> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8450122

3DMark03 - 19786 --> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3747062

3DMark05 - 9090 --> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=625365

NOTE: the GPU's are very CPU limited at the moment

why o why did they pick the wrong slot as standard??

still amases me

guess they all ate spacecake that day of the design :(

HAHA...spacecakes.....wow

Is this something that could be changed via BIOS update or mod, just to say maybe switch that feature...make the main slot the lower one or is that something embedded in the design???

• 3 weeks later...
Could this also be a good idea for me to try? I have a Sapphire X800XL.

Will this card loose performance on the 8x pci-e slot?

And should SLI jumper be enabled or not?

I think it's worth trying if you are on an Ultra-D and have cooling concerns. I moved my nVidia 6800GT from PCIE1 to PCIE4, switched the SLI jumpers to positions 2-3 as shown in the mobo manual, and my 3dMark2001 is still 24991 running 275x9 mild OC. The nVidia Display Properties shows PCIe 8x speed with the SLI jumper change.

The best part is the cooling difference. I dropped about 5C on the chipset, and 2-3C on the PWM temps under Prime95 load. If you are using the front-panel USB connector (J18 or J33) and have a big GPU heatsink/fan, you might have some clearance issues.

Here are my scores. I was going to post on silentpcforums. I had to move it 2nd slot because I didn't want to mod the Zalman NB fanless heatsink. My video card is inferior to your 6800GT but still you notice a bit of difference ...

primary PCIe slot at 16x (jumpers on non-SLI):

3DMark05 - 2121

secondary PCIe slot at 8x (jumpers on SLI):

3DMark05 - 2071

DirectX 9.0c & latest eVGA drivers, tested with a fresh install of WinXP SP2, w/ stock cooling on the video card.

Here are my scores. I was going to post on silentpcforums. I had to move it 2nd slot because I didn't want to mod the Zalman NB fanless heatsink. My video card is inferior to your 6800GT but still you notice a bit of difference ...

The problem running passive chipsetcooling on nF4 boards has been solved. My solution gives great cooling and will let you use VGA-card of ANY length in SLi-mode.

The HeatSLink™ XLE is here!

Hope I get the money.gif I deserve when Zalman starts selling them ;)

Not sure, how do I get the load temps?

Seems strange, but when I up the voltage of my Nexus fan I see my NB temps decrease but my cpu temps stay the same! Maybe I should move my fan over to the NB heatsink instead of on top of the cpu cooler. :D