nF4 Ultra-D: PCIe 8x is plenty for 6800 GT

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its a bit off topic, but in other earlier threads, we have discussed the possibility to go sli on the non sli ultra-d board. And with that have the same performance on the cheapest of the nForce 4 boards as on the more expensive.

Så when we are talking pci-e and gfx issues on the nForce4 boards, i thought i would mention it :)

We discuss the performance influence of 8x PCIx putting the GPU in the 2° slot PCIx to reduce the chipset temperature.

:D

That's all....

If u have some experience about this stay with us....

Now I've put the GPU in the 2° slot and I have noticed one lower temperature.

Just tried this as well. I used 3DMark05 as a refrence being as though its more GPU based. Three tests in each slot slot to get an average. GPU driver/ 3DMark05 configuration consistant for both set ups.

3DMark05 scores in PCI-E 2 (top slot) jumpers set to normal for "16x" :

Test 1: 5,815

Test 2: 5,810

Test 3: 5,818

Average: 5,814

Chipset Load Temps: 50 degrees C

3DMark05 scores in PCI-E 4 (bottom slot) jumpers set to SLI for "8x":

Test 1: 5,811

Test 2: 5,809

Test 3: 5,813

Average: 5,811

Chipset Load Temps: 46 degrees C

Conclusion:

Out of the averages of the three tests taken at each bandwidth the difference in performance in 3DMark05 was 3 points! Chipset temperature dropped from 50 degrees in 16x PCI-E 2 (top) configuration to 46 degrees in 8x PCI-E 4 (lower) config. At the present time in respect to GPU bandwidth requirements the lower slot seems to be the more attractive choice due to the fact that performance is virtually unaffected plus you get a nice chipset temp drop. :D

As my rig stands right now with GPU in lower slot (PCI-E 4). For the above tests XP-90C was turned around with overhang facing the ram. Did this to prove the lower chipset temps were not contributed to added airflow from XP-90C! My X800XL's Arctic cooler wasnt used for tests because it almost completely blocked the chipset while in top slot and would have biased the temp tests. Ram cooler was not used either, not that it matters. Flipped XP-90C back around after I was done so I could use the active ram cooling, reinstalled Arctic Cooler as per the picture. Needless to say it took a while.

AMD643700SD2750MHzXP-90C.jpg

Good job working the setup. Keep track of this thread so you can refer back to it later when someone else asks the same question. lol

As my rig stands right now with GPU in lower slot (PCI-E 4). For the above tests XP-90C was turned around with overhang facing the ram. Did this to prove the lower chipset temps were not contributed to added airflow from XP-90C! My X800XL's Arctic cooler wasnt used for tests because it almost completely blocked the chipset while in top slot and would have biased the temp tests. Ram cooler was not used either, not that it matters. Flipped XP-90C back around after I was done so I could use the active ram cooling, reinstalled Arctic Cooler as per the picture. Needless to say it took a while.

Good job working the setup. Keep track of this thread so you can refer back to it later when someone else asks the same question. lol

Thanks! Yeah, Im thinking about putting it in my sig. I see this question come up almost every day.

I have to have my x800xl in the second slot or windows won't recognize the card, because it won't fit all the way in the slot. When i put it in slot 2 though it does work, but when i also change the jumpers to sli mode, windows again won't recognize the card? whats wrong here?