NF4 - Some Help Getting Up & Running (Or Faster?)

finally getting to check out RAID for myself, i went the easy road opposite of RGone...

i put in 2x Hitachi SATA II 80GB 8mb 7200RPM drives on SATA 1 and 2

i powered up the machine, went into the BIOS, and enabled RAID on SATA 1 & 2

then I rebooted, and went into the NV RAID utility BIOS, setup the drives as a single Stripe @ 64k

then I rebooted, put WinXP SP2 install cd in the drive, and hit F6 at the prompt, loaded both the RAID driver and the Storage driver, then let it load up all its stuff.

then it came to the part we all love, I hit F8 to agree to MS's terms, told it make 3 partitions (the boot partition only being 15GB), and off to the races we went. And they were VERY fast feeling races. Some ATTO and HD Tach benches say they aren't really that fast...but they damn sure feel fast.

i also thought I had lowered the FSB back to 200 but apparently I missed that because it loaded Windows @ 275FSB (275x9)

first thing after getting to desktop was to format the other two partitions, move the swap file (1024MB min/max) to one of them, reboot, install the 6.39 chipset drivers (including the NV SW-IDE driver which is causing absolutely no problems!) and blammo reboot and install the ATI CAT 5.2 drivers, and then its benchmark time.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also thought I had lowered the FSB back to 200 but apparently I missed that because it loaded Windows @ 275FSB (275x9)

Must have been really stable to get over that hump!

Doesn't Soundx98 have the same mobo and a pair of Raptors. Maybe we can get you two to compare benchies?

Sadly doing all the things like lettting windows intialize and format my new 200gig hard drive BUT me doing it like I 'know' it needs to be done and by paying attention to what windoors says it is going to do and making windoors do WHAT it needs to do > well hale it just works again. I thought I might see something strange like some seem to see> but nO it just works when I do it like I know it should be done.

That's probably part of the problem, is that some of us DON'T know how it should be done or think we do but really don't.

So which bios are you actually using RGone? One place in your above post you said 2/01 and one place you said 02/10. Was that a typo or did you update the bios at some point during all that?

Angry_Games can u tell us which BIOS u used when U installed RAID ?

TY

i flashed up to the beta 2/17 bios

i had a Sempron 3200+ in it and with any bios but 1/25, if i made a SINGLE change to ANYTHING (even disabling splash screen!) in the bios, it would not reboot, and I would have to clear cmos

so I yanked it, put in my trusty 3200+ WInchester A64, flashed up to 2/17, installed RAID-0, and blammo its doing Prime95 for about 4 hours now @ 275x9

Must have been really stable to get over that hump!

Doesn't Soundx98 have the same mobo and a pair of Raptors. Maybe we can get you two to compare benchies?

lets see if mr carl comes wandering back here to do a bench/compare on his Raptors (since he is rich and I am not hahaha...or i would already have 2x Raptor 74GB drives)

No not rich, just a hard workin dude that spends 11 hours a day at the store.

But a PC junkie fer sure.

Not sure if this is what your lookin for but this is with 2x74G raptor and 2x80G Hitachi SAT in Raid O arrays. Neither one has the OS as that is on an WD 80G EIDE. 6.39 with SW-IDE installed. usaing Marvel LAN and 5.2 cats. Bios 1/25 (still)

WD 80G - 1st partiton 10G (OS) 2nd Partition 70G Storage - Both NTFS

Raptor array - all at 64 Stripe 8 Cluster -

1st Partition 3G Page File FAT 32, 2nd Partiton 30G NTFS, 3rd Partition 100G NTFS

Hitachi Array - all at 32 Stripe 8 Cluster -

1st Partition 30G NTFS

2nd Partition 130G NTFS

ATTO Benchmarks Hitachi Array

118-Hitachi.JPG

ATTO Benchmarks Raptor Array

153-Raptors.JPG

HD Tach Hitachis

[bimg]http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98//Hitachi-HD-Tach.JPG[/bimg]

HD Tach Raptors

[bimg]http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98/Raptors.JPG[/bimg]

And da comparison - Raptors in Red, Hitachis in Bloooo

[bimg]http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98/Raid-0-Comparison.JPG[/bimg]

Raptors - love da name. I'll try and get the baby 36G Raptors scores up when I yank em from Silverstone

No not rich, just a hard workin dude that spends 11 hours a day at the store.

But a PC junkie fer sure.

Not sure if this is what your lookin for but this is with 2x74G raptor and 2x80G Hitachi SAT in Raid O arrays. Neither one has the OS as that is on an WD 80G EIDE. 6.39 with SW-IDE installed. usaing Marvel LAN and 5.2 cats. Bios 1/25 (still)

The benchmark we're looking for is the Raptors. AG has a pair of the new SATA II Hitachi 80GB drives.

The ATTO and HD Tach from your Raptors compaired to his Hitachi 80's.

Can you cross post over to this thread.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6270

There are some guys monitoring that thread for this kind of info.

Thanks for taking the time to get us the benchies. Greatly appreciated.

ExRoadie

That's probably part of the problem, is that some of us DON'T know how it should be done or think we do but really don't.

So which bios are you actually using RGone? One place in your above post you said 2/01 and one place you said 02/10. Was that a typo or did you update the bios at some point during all that?

motoring along on bios 02/01 @245X11=2695mhz without a bobble so far.

TypO repaired...

RGone...

RGone i was wondering if it would be ok i i post this on my forum as a sticky for those who get DFI boards of course you will get all the credit jut wondering if you would mind

you are more than welcome to link/post it

anything that helps DFI users is important to us. We aren't nazis who make people come to our forum.