The DFi Darwin awards....

two left feet

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done a similar thing Ace. I repair copiers for a living, and not long after starting with my current employer I had to go to a local bank to repair the copier. It was a small desktop one, sat on the safe, camera's pointing at the safe.

They had a small damp heater inside the machine which carried 240v AC even when the machine was switched off. I thought I had unplugged it, until i touched the damp heater!

20 seconds later, five foot away, lying on my back stunned!

They never did come through to see if I was OK, prolly just laughing at me.

Only done it once more since, as when you've been doing it a long time you think you can work round the live bits.

This doesn't pertain to computers but it's funny to me....

When i was about 17-18 years old I took a High-Performance engine class at out local career center.... I had built myself a pretty sweet hot cammed 283 for my dads 57 chevy bel-air (now mine).

Just after the engine was in and was fired up and the car put back together we decided to head out on a 300 mile trip to Traverse City Michigan to see some family. I hadn't had time to work out all the bugs yet. We left at night and the poor old generator gave out and the head light got pretty dim half way there... I forgot to polorize the generator...what that..? I didn't know either thats why I didn't do it...

Well we had to stop late at night to get the battery charged and then head off again. We made it to our destination but barely. We could not go over 55mph because the engine would severely cut out.... I had no idea what was going on. I had rebuilt a Quadrojet carburator the was almost 800cfm for that tiny engine and I sure needed more time to get it dialed in. I was told by many folks that that carb was way to big, I disagreed.

When we finally got where we were going and shut the car off it refused to start hours later, just cranked and cranked. I was feeling pretty uptight as I had just built this engine and knew it was capable of alot more than it was giving... Well me and my little brother start to trouble shoot the car and decided it wouldn't start because it was getting no fuel...

I had installed a new fuel pump when I put the engine in so I knew that wasn't it. I removed the line and nothing came out... So I had my little brother (15) blow in the gas cap hole.... to push the fuel out....nothing.... So laughingly I told him I got nothing...try sucking on it and i'll see if hear anything.....

He took a deep breath...let it all out and proceeded to suck on the filler tube.... he got such a big wind he passed right out and fell over as I was under the car.....He came too a few minutes later pretty dazed and then started laughing because I was laughing....

I told him... I didn't think you were dumb enough to really do that....he said I didn't really think about it....I thought you were serious....;)

ended up being the fuel pump was defective...got home put a 4000stahl convertor in it and went racing

How about 220v up each arm?

I'll fill you all in when I get through with this nightmare multiple access point network I am working on right now.

Ace try that one, Im a phone technitien (install repair) That morning after an heavy night of drinking, still a bit loopy when waking up, Iget to the 1`st job of the day, I have to change the Drop Wire (wire from the phone pole to the house), so I start at the phone pole do all I have to do and climb up my 26 foot Fiberglass ladder . At that exact moment, the heaven open up and it start pouring rain. Well the electric wires (triplex) are in my way, so I grab the 3 of them and just try to move them a few inches witch Ive done many a time, but never under pouring rain, Wow Fiberglass conduct electricity when wet, who would of thought, 5 min later from what the customer tells me I wake up all muddy. and with a real bad headache.

I been pretty lucky, but I tend to do things quite fast,

instruction manual what??? Anyhow this actually happened on the DFI SLI-DR, now I have some experience etc, build countless systems networks etc, and so I am setting up the entire computer by root memory, and I decide to break order, and just naturally instal things, so I instal everyone, check boots fine, on test bench, then I rebuild everything, and put it on case, but this time I decided to put the ram on last.... Anyone that used a XP-120, knows that it covers the ram slots, and this is when mobo is secured in case, etc entire comp done, except ram, anyhow I spent like 30- 1 hour playing and hurting my fingers like an idiot to get the ram to go in, worse yet was making sure the ram went in tightly I had to invent a little bar thingy, that I made with spare parts to put the presure at an angle, all this because I did not want to disaasemble everything and remove the heatsink! Heh, all could be avoided if I only followed my checklist O_O. Didn't cost me a thing, but sure made me mad lol! and felt retarded.....

I have fried two maxtor 80 gig hard drives.

Was working on my water loop and so need to disconnect the hard drives to get to something.

Well the ide cables were those nice shielded ones with the grounding wire (the one with the metal washer at one end). So i tuck the cables out of the way under the hdd's.

All done, plug the ide cable back in without screwing the gound back, fire it up and POP! POP! some smoke, and the lovely smell of cooked electronics.

Took out the drives and realized the metal washer from the both ide grounds was touching the circuit boards on the bottom of the hdd's. DOH!

I felt like such a noob.

Luckly they were both still within warranty, maxtor promptly sent me two new ones :D

Done other stupid stuff, like take apart my loop while its in the computer, resulting in spraying water all over the mobo,vidcard, audio card. luckly wasnt on, couple hours of drying and good as new.

I have fried two maxtor 80 gig hard drives.

Was working on my water loop and so need to disconnect the hard drives to get to something.

Well the ide cables were those nice shielded ones with the grounding wire (the one with the metal washer at one end). So i tuck the cables out of the way under the hdd's.

All done, plug the ide cable back in without screwing the gound back, fire it up and POP! POP! some smoke, and the lovely smell of cooked electronics.

Took out the drives and realized the metal washer from the both ide grounds was touching the circuit boards on the bottom of the hdd's. DOH!

I felt like such a noob.

Luckly they were both still within warranty, maxtor promptly sent me two new ones :D

Done other stupid stuff, like take apart my loop while its in the computer, resulting in spraying water all over the mobo,vidcard, audio card. luckly wasnt on, couple hours of drying and good as new.

your gonna give me nightmares about my watercooling stuff

well ive nevere fired anything thanks god...but i was building a computer for an ex gfs dad (it was even a dfi mobo...although a cheap one from tigerdirect.ca...im assuming it was an infinity...was for a socket a amd)...anyways.....it wouldnt boot up at all...i double checked my connections...stillnothing lol (i have to mention this i know the importance of putting spacers for the mobo from the case..but we couldnt find any...i was like wheres the hardware for the case...all in all i took the mobo out....and started it up with a screw driver on a piece of cardboard (shorting out the power switch connector on the mobo..fired up perfectly...)so we ended up taking apart his old computer....looking for spacer...got 2 (turns out some cheap guy had built his comp lol)....anyways....so the system is completely built.....so i decide...im gonna screw in the cd rom drive on the other side...undo the other side panel...and what do we find...the bag of hardware :nod: .....so had to take the mobo out..and redo everything...i felt so stupi after that thank god the mobo didnt fry from shorting out in the case lol..... :eek:

Me? When I just got that skyhawk psu when I was connecting the power connectors(modular psu) they seemed to not go in right either direction and eventually I got them in backwards(doh!) tried turning on the system but it only stayed on for a few miloseconds and shut off then I find out it's backwards(Me:D (maybe both of them should have broke?) but creative sucks and you can't rma something by using the website and I waited too long and my warranty is over :(.

Well that was like a year ago and I still feel bad about it. :(

Guest Milkshake

Well one time I tried overclocking my server just to see how far it would go, but then I couldn't boot it! Nothing on the monitor, so I was like ok no big deal lets clear the cmos. Wait I forgot to turn off the computer, as I took a screwdriver to connect both points !SHOCK! the screwdriver tingled in my hands and sparks flew turning off the comp. My heart sank...lol, many of you have probably felt this before. So I tried turning it back on with no luck. Unplugged it and 10 mins later tried turning it back on, no luck, 2 hours later no luck. So the next day I was thinking ok lets try it, and it booted! lol it was so weird, its been working fine ever since (its been a year) nothing was damaged. Maybe the screw driver hit something else or maybe not. Still moral is, dont stick a screwdriver near a motherboard when its on.

Well one time I tried overclocking my server just to see how far it would go, but then I couldn't boot it! Nothing on the monitor, so I was like ok no big deal lets clear the cmos. Wait I forgot to turn off the computer, as I took a screwdriver to connect both points !SHOCK! the screwdriver tingled in my hands and sparks flew turning off the comp. My heart sank...lol, many of you have probably felt this before. So I tried turning it back on with no luck. Unplugged it and 10 mins later tried turning it back on, no luck, 2 hours later no luck. So the next day I was thinking ok lets try it, and it booted! lol it was so weird, its been working fine ever since (its been a year) nothing was damaged. Maybe the screw driver hit something else or maybe not. Still moral is, dont stick a screwdriver near a motherboard when its on.

I've tightened heatsinks while the CPU was on.

Cant believe that this thread got reborn..

In the meeantime I had the pleasure to create my own little volcano quite recently..

While playing with my Swiftech peltier I needed to reprime the water loop. (cant remember why, but I assured myself it needing doing). I have the waterpump and peltier on a separate PSU.

Of this particular occasion, having thought I had isolated the peltier, I started to prime the water loop. Apart from the usual frustrations of priming, all was going to plan.

Or so one thought....

Suddenly I noticed a distinct gurgling / bubbling sound from somewhere. Fortunately I did look for the cause, apparenty some idiot did NOT actually disconected the power to the peltier, and with the lack of flowing collant, I now had water boiling in the peltier!!

Somehow I got enough water in there to save the day, however the plastic tubing looks more like a Salvidor Dali sculpture, and the isolating grease was "oozing" all over the place.

Good news was that no parts died.

Moral of the story, if play too much with your toys they are going to get broken...

But not this time..hehehehehehehe :) :)