The DFi Darwin awards....

two left feet

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see - I moved into my new apartment a couple of years ago and buttumed that the grounded outlets were really grounded. Now since I'm a marine electrician by trade this was inexcusable. I then decided to install a TV tuner card in one of my spare computers and wired it to a spare 17" monitor so I could watch the tube while computing on one of my other rigs. I had cable TV and when I went to plug the cable into the tuner card a very large arc jumped off the cable to the back of the computer and proceeded to smoke a 2 day old 80GB Maxtor. Luckily I had bought it on sale from CompUSA so I promptly took it back and they replaced it. Damn thing just doesn't work said I.

Bill

watched a bro takin apart an old moniter....

he got the casing off, then was promptly lauched about 6 feet back, and laid there twitching till the wambulance came.

luckily, he is still alive.

NOTE TO ALL YOU KIDDIES OUT THERE... OLD MONITERS HAVE CAPACITORS IN THEM THAT HOLD A CHARGE FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

Discharge the CRT carefully before sticking hands in wrong places.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man..lol

I just formatted last night.. but didnt setup my network..

So today I get home from work and tweak my services... then setup my network..

Dam thing just wouldnt work..

I think to myself.. ok I remember setting IP's in my firewall last night..

Its gotta be one of the services I shut off..lol..

Well after about 2 hours of trying MANY things..

I MISS TYPED ONE OF THE IP's...

AHHHH !!

Just figured this funny thread needed a bump too.. :D

Nice one THunDA. I don't know how I missed out on this thread.

My first CPU with no heatspreader was a Thunderbird 1.1GHz, and I saw those 4 rubber pads and I was like "huh so those keep the heatsink from rocking" so I put the heatsink on and promptly tried to rock it to see how stiff the pads were and crunch, there's little silvery flakes in my white heatsink goop.

Still worked but wouldn't go over 1150.

Then there's my classic water cooling mishap that I always refer to, installed water cooling on my board and it won't post, so I cried RMA and Angry gave me a reality check, so I went back to air and the thing is still no good. So I tried compressed air, leaving it in front of a fan (thinking somehow it wasn't dry after all these days) all the while missing the capacitor I broke off when I was removing the NB waterblock!!! This is one of the big 1000uF caps too so I don't know how I missed it. But soldered on a shiny new one and I'm back in action!

I have a bios savior so I usually feel pretty safe flashing something new. Well one night I was a little tired and trying different bios's. I flash the d10_mantraraysXT bios and realize it doesn't work with my board. Now instead or switching the savior and reflashing to a good bios, I switch the savior and flash with the same d10_maxtaraysXT bios. So there I was, both bios chips with the same damn non-working bios.

Edit: Luckily now with my new DFI board it has a bios chip soldered on, so if I $&^$#@ up a flash I'm screwed.

Oh man..lol I MISS TYPED ONE OF THE IP's...

I have dyslexia real bad. I learned that when dealing with a string of numbers I write them down and compare them forwards and backwards. Credit card numbers in groups of four are killers for me.

I got a call this morning about a network problem at one of my customers. The entire network was down and they couldn't process any seafood. I love fresh seafood but the smell in these placed could knock a buzzard off a shait wagon from a hundred yards down wind.

I pull up to the plant and put some vicks vaporub under my nose to kill the smell.

One of the forklift operators had driven a load off the loading dock. As the forklift flipped, it knocked a window unit airconditioner right out of the window. The power cord pulled the 220volt outlet out of the wall causing a short. The breaker didn't trip causing the 500amp main service to the building to overheat to the point of melting the main breaker.

Three hours later the electrician is done rewiring the service. As he kicks the main breaker back on I get that old sinking feeling. I had forgotten to kill the breakers to the data room. The rebound spike promptly smoked the four UPS units in the data room.

I had to call the owner on vacation at Disney World to let him know he's got to spend $10,000 to replace the UPS units.

The forklift guy only had a slight bump on his head because he didn't have his seatbelt fully tight.

OK , I was saving this one till last, but considering this thread has started again I will get it off my chest.

The slippery road to extreme cooling often leads some of us to TEC land. I found myself in a German "Tandy equivelant" looking for some Dielectric grease. Found a likely suspect in the form of a tube of TSE 399 silicone. I was assured by the staff it was dieletric and proceeded with the project.

To cut the story short, I did get to -20°C, however inspite of all the volt mods etc the system refused to stabilise over what I already had on water cooling.

So whats the point ? Well TSE 399, while being dieletric, does take on some rather permenant physical properties when exposed to air.....

I'm done now....thanks for listening....see you in the funny pages