The DFi Darwin awards....

two left feet

Feck!

I decided to use a used 20Gb hard drive (with customer's approval) in a rebuild I started last night. Figures that after all the labor involved to install everything the frickin' drive starts doing the clickety, clickety thang. :(

By any chance was it an IBM Ultra? 4 out of 4 that I had eventually died doing that clickety, clickety thang.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was younger, I saved and saved and saved, to buy the brand new (at the time) geforce Ti4600. Man I wanted it so bad, the integrated graffix just wouldnt let me be l33t in Counter-Strike. I saved for so long, waiting and waiting. Finally, I had enough and my local Best Buy had one more left in stock, man they were a popular item in my area. BUY BUY BUY, NOW NOW NOW. So I did.

OMGBBQ Im going to be so l33t with FPS out my arse, I thought. No more stuttering, yay!

Well... lets open 'er up and take a peek. OMG! Ti4600 omg l33t! open the bag, now now now! ... What? Beware of static electricity? Im driving in a car... static? Cool cool omg leet card, lets go home.

Well, I get home. Perform the install, and boot up. Yay, windows sees it yay, mmmk install drivers, cha-ching. Counter-Strike here we go!!!!!....

WTF!???... omg... WHAT!?!

What are these crazy flickerings and tiny boxes all over the buttons!? what... why cant i see text? ... "beware of static electricity...." ... Oh poop. There goes time and money... I feel so bad for that card.

Help Zappy the Bear take a bite out of static electricity damage folks.

I was such an idiot, but now today I know and take the necessary precautions.

• 3 months later...

I'm just wondering if others have had senior moments like I have had a few times.

1. First build, a P166, screwed the motherboard right to the case with no standoffs. I wonder why it wouldn't start. Nothing hurt.

2. Playing around with the fans when the system was on. One of he prongs touched the case and shorted. Nothing hurt.

3. Plugging the floppy power cable in backwards. Oops. Thought I fried it because the light was just staying on. Nope. Had the IDE in backwards too.

4. First attempt at watercooling. I guess I definitely didn't have the clamps tight because when I filled it up, water came out of every connection. At least I did everything out of the case back then.

5. Very first system. Got it from Circuit City in around 1991. A 386 without any OS I think. It may have had DOS. Messing around in the BIOS. What is this setting from the heads on the drive? Oops...time to return it. It was only 900.00....

Not a problem, but I remember spending 300.00 to upgrade my Packard Bell 486. The upgrade was 8 MB of RAM and a 14.4 modem. The hard drive was a whopping 400 MB.

installing a lighting rig to a custom build for a customer, put the switch out thru one of the back plate slots and connected the switch up outside. hit the switch and realised the wires were touching the case metal. bang - and everything shutdown instantly. weird thing is - the machine was corrupted at first, all kinds of garbled . on screen and BSODs, then got better over a couple of restarts and has run fine ever since - ???

I bought a mobo and an AMD processor (before they had the metal top to protect the core) and I didn't know it needed a shim and thermal paste. Installed the heat sink and fan etc etc. Turned the sucker on and watched smoke poor out of the CPU. Burned right through the plastic CPU holder. I cracked the CPU while attatching the heat sink.

I never got the system to work, even after buying replacement parts. Sent it all back and only lost about 150$.

Note, seems like a lot of us learned a lot. Sometimes it takes mistakes.

edit:

as far as physical trauma goes.... i literally tried to cut a corner around a gate while mountain biking. i'd done it a few times before. the turn was like... 100 degrees... and very tight... well i cleared the majority of the turn but my front wheel sank into some leaves and snagged on the root they were covering. My bike flipped over and flew off to my side, I think I hit the tree upsidedown but I don't remember... I just remember waking up. I partially tore my bicep tendon and tore the labram in my right shoulder.

so i didnt think i was injured at all... so i just left it for like a month. then it started to reeeeeeeeeeeeeeallly hurt and i had to quit my job and move back home. i had mri's, countless x-rays, months of physical therapy, cortizone injections. finally, a year later they decided to open me up to fix it. then about 6months after that surgery it started killing me again, so almost year later (3 months ago) i had to have a second surgery.

my arm is still messed up bad. i dont think i'll ever ride trails again. :/

but hey, now i have lots of time to work on computers!

Well, not quite as interesting or costly as some...but here goes.

The build in my sig was my first complete build. I had done lots of tinkering and upgrading in the past, but never built my own rig from scratch. So I was pretty nervous putting this thing together, especially after reading some of the horror stories on the web about people frying expensive parts and going through hell trying to get things to work. Well, after much reading on here and other forums, I finally had it set-up on my table with the recommended 1 stick of ram, PSU, CPU, GPU. I took a deep breath and flicked the switch on my power supply and......................................................................NOTHING.

Oh crap...what a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach! I just felt totally deflated, sitting there wondering what the hell I did wrong. Standby LED is lit up, RAM LED is lit up, but absolutlely nothing else is going on, no HS fan no nothing.

I sat there for several minutes looking back through my reams of notes and the build guide wondering what the hell I did wrong...was one of my components a total dud, did I totally screw something up?

Then...after about 5 minutes of feeling like absolute hell , a little light bulb went off in my head...

...Oh yeah....I have to hit the power switch on the board :shake: :shake: :shake:

I have a couple oopsies from a few years back. I was attempting to remove the cpu cooler off my socket A Athlon and Asus something or other motherboard when the slightly oversize for the job screwdriver slipped and scratched the motherboard. Yeah, it didn't fire up after that. I did it on New Years Day and ended up at the local computer shop in town taking the only socket A board they had in stock at the time.

A little later, I brought home an extra 1700+ CPU to upgrade my computer and proceeded to run it without the HSF since I was just test firing the system. It was a cute little plume of smoke that rose from that puppy. I also burned my finger when I touched the chip to see how hot it was (right after I shut it down). :(

i dont have anything computer related, but my physical list goes on forever...

Ive broke both wrists and both ankles from flat land bmx. Broke my arm in 6 spots at the same time. I was on a trampoline and a kid landed on my, my arm was in the shape of his leg. Broke the growing plate in my elbow speed skating. Broke several fingers from various different things. Hyper extended both elbows from two separate runs on the half pipe snowboarding in one day.

But by far my worst injury was in late February of 2004. I was snowboarding up at Rib Mountain. Went up to do a roast beef, came back down and rotated to far forward. It was about a 12 foot drop going about 40ish miles an hour. First thing that hit was my shoulder. Ripped it clean out of socket. Walked down the rest of the hill(mile and half) and after finding out that all ski patrol had gone home for the night, i popped my shoulder back in using a door. Went to McDonalds, then to the hospital. I now have 3 pins, 3 screws, a yard of stainless steal stitching holding my shoulder in.