The DFi Darwin awards....

two left feet

death count:

-2 power supplies

-Athlon XP 1900 CPU

-Motherboard

-fried video card RAM (interesting visuals in 3d games)

-120 Gig hard drive (never put all your eggs in one basket...)

LMAO

i actually was

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh*

alright, one time I was at Circuit City showing off my rig to my co-workers on my off-day... I took down a demo display that customer's frequented a lot just to show off my hotness... it was when I was using my ECS 755-A board (while my DFI LanParty UT nf3 250Gb mobo was on the way, of course... haha)...

so my friends are all gawking at my air-cooled case (Antec Super LAN Boy) and my mini-cooper radiator of a CPU heatsink (Thermalright XP-120)...

I felt that I had goo'd my CPU with too much Arctic Silver 5 (I was a thermal paste noob... i used about a marble's worth instead of a smaller, more appropriate pea-sized gob)

I worried that it was affecting the temperature of my CPU, so I decided to take it out there in the store and fix the problem (since i keep my silver-5 inside the toolbox of my case)

discconected the power, opened up the case, took off the 120mm panaflo fan, disconnected the clips of the XP-120 from the mobo, gave it a good twist and slight tug... nothin...

"oh boy...."

gave it another twist... a little harder tug.... still nothin...

"..... crap...... this is gonna suck"

I proceed to take a flathead screwdriver to attempt to pry it off... no dice...

".... man i'm so screwed...."

I had that fan sitting on a 3200+ Newcastle (2 years ago when this happened, that was top of the line *wink wink*) so i decide to try again... (mind you, the silver-5 was already warm from about 2 hours of playing UT2K4 haha)...

twist, pull, nothin

twist, yank, nothin

twist, tug, twist, yank pull *click* .. **falls back**

"....... YES!!! I GOT IT!!!! *looks at processor slot on mother board...* what the... where'd it go? @#&$!!!!!!"

it was glued to the bottom of my XP-120...

worse yet, an entire outter row of pins was laying at 65 degree angles away from the center of the processor... (yea, ouch)

I cried like a baby for about five minutes (i had only had the processor for about 4 months)

took a credit card, pushed all the pins back into place, pin 1 was bent at a different angle, took a mechanical pencil, pushed the graphite back into it, bent pin 1 back into place, looked it over, over and over again... dropped it back into the motherboard (which went in perfectly) added a small amount of silver-5 to the top of the heatspreader, then secured my XP-120 back over it...

we had silent prayer for about 5 minutes...

then i pressed the power button...

my heart sank :(

i pressed it again... my heart sank again...

plugged in the power cord, pressed it again, POST, Windows, FRAGGING TIME :)

it's been working (now in my DFI LanParty UT) ever since :D HAHAHAHA!!! w00t w00t :D

I had a s462... it was the crappiest computer that i had.. anyway while i was getting rid of the exhaust fans finger protector(with a plier,pruning shears and a file)it took me 2 hours... needless to say i was soooo piss off...i had cut my finger a few times and it was soo bloody hot.

The next day i was tinkering around.. looking at the pile of dust in the heatsink...it was hot then too so i switch on my table fan through the power socket...it was connected with my computer then... i did not even panic then.. i quickly directed it into the case(it was very close to it then)when i pick up my tools.. my finger landed on the processor fan(lying on my table). I cut my finger and one of the fan blade broked..i almost cry but i remember that the computer shop in town sells fans...

The next day after school... i went home and i switch on my computer without bother to check it...(i forgotten about the broken fan)...well after that i need to go for my tuition at the other part of my house(my house have 4 levels and i set my computer to download stuff automatically).I took the table fan up with me by the way...... after my tuition i feel like playing some games...then it would not boot bla bla bla....well after that i gotten another computer...this rig that is....after i went home i dismantle my old computer to salvage parts and to learn more about what went wrong...it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to pry the heat sink out... after i pry it out... i found out the thermal 'paste' was charred..the center of the processor was brown and there was a warranty sticker there(by the shop?) it turn to dust by the way.... i broke apart the socket in the motherboard and found out that the golden pins in the middle turn black in colour compared to the gold pins

hrm, some time a couple years ago I was building a PC for a customer and (only) nuked the Floppy Drive somehow.

But I did manage to make the PSU breaker trip and after I reset it, luckily enough it booted.

So I reached inside the case as I had a wire out of place and OH SNAP a BIG BLUE spark. 'Twas from the 12 or 5 volt line and ( I think) where a thin needle like metal edge case protrusion managed to touch inside the floppy connector.

I filed what was left of the melted burr down afterwards to disguise what happend. :) As it was I had many floppy Drives and Swapped one. I think it was an Asus Kv8 b0ard and Asus is still one of my favorites. (Of course it is a distant second to DFI)

Kirred plenty of other stuff over the years. Monitors, Kbd's, PSU's....... but mostly from use and not during a build.

My victims last year:

PNY 6600 GT, Died due to condensation from TEC cooling. 640 core speed was cool though.

3000+ DTR, Died due to pump failure while I was at work Running prime for OCD Entry. A 226 watt pelt and a cold plate fell victim as well. CPU is now a keychain for idunno1987.

NF7-S V2.0. Died from installing memory module with slot wrong way and not checking to see if locktabs were all the way down. Memory survived.

R.I.P., CPDMF!

I found out today my LAN socket has a short! Luckily I had a spare Ethernet card layin' around.