hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

Explanation for my above posts.

1. SATA II does not make a difference in non-real-world benchmarks over SATA I. The only attribute to be gleaned from the above information is possible average performance during normal computer usage.

2. All tests were run on a loaded system. I.E. - all processes that normally ran at boot (anti-virus, anti-spyware, system monitoring apps, game controller software, etc) were left running during testing.

The above was to gauge possible drive performance with the system running with all the necessary boot-time applications loaded. This was done to gauge possible performance one may see / feel during real world usage.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explanation for my above posts.

1. SATA II does not make a difference in non-real-world benchmarks over SATA I. The only attribute to be gleaned from the above information is possible average performance during normal computer usage.

2. All tests were run on a loaded system. I.E. - all processes that normally ran at boot (anti-virus, anti-spyware, system monitoring apps, game controller software, etc) were left running during testing.

The above was to gauge possible drive performance with the system running with all the necessary boot-time applications loaded. This was done to gauge possible performance one may see / feel during real world usage.

This is my day to day pc, gaming, work, photo editing,etc., and this test was also run with firewall, anti virus, etc. running as normal. I just wanted to see what would happen if I enabled sata2.

Acegoober, did you enable sata2 with the Hitachi features tool, and was it confirmed by the ADMA controller properties? ;http://www.thompsonstv.com/pix/SATA2driver.jpg

Also, is your HD cache 8MB?

This is my day to day pc, gaming, work, photo editing,etc., and this test was also run with firewall, anti virus, etc. running as normal. I just wanted to see what would happen if I enabled sata2.

Acegoober, did you enable sata2 with the Hitachi features tool, and was it confirmed by the ADMA controller properties? ;http://www.thompsonstv.com/pix/SATA2driver.jpg

Also, is your HD cache 8MB?

I just found out im not!!!! Thanks for posting that .jpg :)

When i tested in January:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3454

And When i just tested 5 mins ago, after trying hitachi tool again.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3815&stc=1

Good man! That looks very similar to mine....

Did you also find the feature tool was very slow to change drives? It's not a very elegant prog...

Trying to get smart enabled at the mo. It's like pulling teeth!

Installed my new 300GB Seagates today in RAID0, with a lot of help from AceGoober, and I'm getting :

192.6 MB/s on the 32MB test

189.3 MB/s on the 8MB test

Not bad ??

Edit : Bearing in mind that my mobo doesn't support SATAII, just future-proofing !

Why not post your HDtach results for all to enjoy??!

Considering thats about the fastest ive seen, if those are read speads.....

On a sad note, one of my Deskstar's took a dump Saturday. Im not mad, as i was actually looking forward to reformatting again just for the experiance. Went smooth as silk im glad to say.

Its death thro's sorta went like this:

Friday night was playing a game and computer locked. Hard locked. Reset by switch. Scan disk opened on reboot, and told me a drive was corrupt, and scan disk needed to correct this or a similar message. Let scan disk do its thing, but it took less then 3 minutes to complete. Normally this can take near an hour, so im not really sure what it did, but everything came back ok, i booted back into windows, dismissing it as Teamspeak, and game competing on sound card. At 11:46:38pm est my computer let out that horrible screech noise in my ears, and i got the blue screen of death with windows message about shutting down to protect your computer. On reboot, no drives were detected. I checked raid tool and saw a missing drive (Drive#1), pulled the cords from it. Went back into raid tool, and deleated the array, created...and so on.

Oh yea Andy sorry i forgot to reply to your post, i do find the hitachi tool clunky, but im still glad i have it.

Guest Modulok

I did some testing with my system and different hard disk configurations. I did not do screenshots, sorry.

For all tests I used my Hitachi SataII 8mb/7200rpm hard drives.

HD Tach Results [with 32mb zone]:

• Single Drive
    • 220.5mb burst speed
    • 48.8mb average speed
    • 13.2ms seek time

• Raid-0 with two drives (64K)
    • 354mb burst speed
    • 97.7mb average speed
    • 12.8ms seek time

• Raid-0 with three drives (64K)
    • 364mb burst speed
    • 136.1mb average speed
    • 12.9ms seek time

HD Tune Results:

• Single Drive
    • 191.8 burst
    • 13.6mb lowest
    • 57.8mb highest
    • 13.5ms seek time
    • 2.9% cpu

• Raid-0 with two drives (64K)
    • 191.7 burst
    • 46.2mb lowest
    • 114.5mb highest
    • 13.5ms seek time
    • 7.9% cpu

• Raid-0 with three drives (64K)
    • 191.8 burst
    • 82.9mb lowest
    • 149.2mb highest
    • 46.2 average
    • 14ms seek time
    • 10.4% cpu

Oh yea Andy sorry i forgot to reply to your post, i do find the hitachi tool clunky, but im still glad i have it.

No probs.

Well, looks like you've got a dead 'un. Is it out of Warranty? If it is at least you get to pull it apart and look inside! Though there's nothing worse than an unplanned reinstall from scratch!

* Raid-0 with two drives (64K)

o 354mb burst speed

o 97.7mb average speed

o 12.8ms seek time

* Raid-0 with three drives (64K)

o 364mb burst speed

o 136.1mb average speed

o 12.9ms seek time

Looks like you've found the burst limit!