hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might been already disscussed, but just maybe some one can pm me on this, my SCSI drive is my primary drive on which i run windows, and when i benchmark it gives me very bad results, like only 80 megs when it suppose to be a 160, is there a bootable version of any benchmark available, so that there is no stress on hd, so that i can test it accurately.

thank you.

Even if the interface is Ultra320, it doesn't say anything about how fast the drive itself is. Your Cheetah in your sig is a Ultra320 drive, and I presume you have a Ultra320 compliant SCSI controller so that would let the harddrive communicate with your controller according to the Ultra320 SCSI standard. Even if the drive and controller are speaking to eachother according to the Ultra320 spec it doesn't say that the drive itself (physically, the mechanics...) is capable of acheiving the maximum bandwith Ultra320 offers.

The advantage of a Ultra160 or Ultra320 interface drive (over older type SCSI drives), is that when you use them together (2, 3 or more drives), indiviually or in RAID, you'll have a interface that is fast enough to deliver all the drives maximum data rate at the same time. So if your single drive maxes out at 80mb/s, then 2 drives used at the same time would theoretically speaking need a 160mb/s capable interface...

Hope this explanation helps :)

As to which SCSI standard gives what Mb/s speed, I can't help you - since there is everything from SCSI-I, SCSI-II, Fast SCSI, Ultra SCSI, Ultra Wide SCSI, Ultra2, Ultra3, SCSI-III etc etc etc... maybe something else I don't remember.

Just looking at my pdf manual for my Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller (many years old) - I can give you these figures:

Wide Ultra2 SCSI---80 MB/s---15 devices/max

Ultra Wide SCSI----40 MB/s---15 devices/max

Ultra SCSI---------20 MB/s----7 devices/max

Guest Modulok
SATA Spread Spectrum - what should i set this to? i've read in here that is may increase stability. so should i enable it?

from what I read on google, you should enable it for protection against EMI, same with pci-e spread spectrum. Most threads on this Ive read it is disabled.

coolio, thank you : ) although i am stil more then happy with my SCSI, it been the mean machine : )

Even if the interface is Ultra320, it doesn't say anything about how fast the drive itself is. Your Cheetah in your sig is a Ultra320 drive, and I presume you have a Ultra320 compliant SCSI controller so that would let the harddrive communicate with your controller according to the Ultra320 SCSI standard. Even if the drive and controller are speaking to eachother according to the Ultra320 spec it doesn't say that the drive itself (physically, the mechanics...) is capable of acheiving the maximum bandwith Ultra320 offers.

The advantage of a Ultra160 or Ultra320 interface drive (over older type SCSI drives), is that when you use them together (2, 3 or more drives), indiviually or in RAID, you'll have a interface that is fast enough to deliver all the drives maximum data rate at the same time. So if your single drive maxes out at 80mb/s, then 2 drives used at the same time would theoretically speaking need a 160mb/s capable interface...

Hope this explanation helps :)

As to which SCSI standard gives what Mb/s speed, I can't help you - since there is everything from SCSI-I, SCSI-II, Fast SCSI, Ultra SCSI, Ultra Wide SCSI, Ultra2, Ultra3, SCSI-III etc etc etc... maybe something else I don't remember.

Just looking at my pdf manual for my Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller (many years old) - I can give you these figures:

Wide Ultra2 SCSI---80 MB/s---15 devices/max

Ultra Wide SCSI----40 MB/s---15 devices/max

Ultra SCSI---------20 MB/s----7 devices/max

Is burst a usable thing i guess is my first question?

Yes, burst bandwidth is valid and usable.

Burst speed is the measure of bandwidth between the controller and the drive cache. This is outside the mechanical limitations of the drive its self.

Now we are talking about the limited size of the cache whether it be 8MB or 16MB but since the drive will read ahead to fetch the next chunk of data it will get to the controller only as fast as the interface will allow.

More is better every day of the week when we're talking bandwidth. Even just a little chunk.