hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SageI

It goes to show you what throwing $600.00USD at a RAID controller can do for you.

Question. Which slot do you have the RAID controller in? Did you switch to X8 bandwidth on both slots(SLI mode)?

I'm trying to setup my new raid-0 here with 2 Hitachi's, and I'm having some issues. I'm using a third OS drive to boot to windows, but when I go to disk management, the array shows as 2 seperate drives... is this correct?

It gives me the option to set the 2 disks up as a striping aray in windows.. but isn't this the software version of it, and not the one I want?

Edit: I got it to work only by formatting and installing windows onto it, still can't get it to work with a third OS drive...

Atto is all hockus pockus because the raid controller has 128 MB of mem for caching.

As far as money goes Well lets just say it is my hobby.

As far as bus setup I am running my 7800GTX and Areca controller in both PCI-E 16x slots with SLI enabled meaning both slots are actually 8x.

Well I give up. All I want to do is be able to see the RAID-0 Array in Disk Management while booting from a 3rd drive. I wan't to be able to set a custom cluster size in windows this way.

I don't know what I need to isntall, what needs to be there, or whatever needs to happen to make it work, but so far the only way I can results in me seeing all 3 harddrives under the "safely remove hardware" icon. I wish someone could dumb it down eanough as this is my first time messing with this period. Angry's Raid tutorial is only for installing on the array, not making the array work in windows, so I'm stuck.

I'm using a single sata 1.5 drive to boot into windows xp pro. SP2. I already have the raid setup and healthy, and I just want to see it under disk management to be able to format it and choose the Cluster size.

I don't however, know what I'm supposed to install in order to get windows to see it as 1 single disk drive. Instead I always either end up having the 2 individual drives, or none at all. If I install everything in the Nvidia driver package it shows up correctly, but then they also show up under "Safely remove hardware" which shouldn't be that way.

I have that ***** "Safley remove hardware" thingy too, and if you find a way to turn it off without hurting a Microsoft employee in the process, please tell me :sweat:

(btw my boot raid-array is healty too, and shows up in Disk Management ...)

I'm guessing its actually supposed to be there, when the RAID works, and I'll just have to learn to deal with it. I understand its almost stupid to care in the first place, but I'm just that much of a perfectionist.. I can't help it! :sad:

I just formatted my array with a 16k stripe and installed windows to it directly, so it should be the default cluster of 4k?

Also, which drivers should/shouldn't I install from the Nvidia driver package?