hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

That 22% cpu utilization has me wondering as well. My cpu utilization actually dropped 1% when i got sata 2 going.
Maybe it's some programs running in the background or he has a bad chipset driver or something that's having a frenzy on the CPU. HD tach should only measure it's own activity but sure it can have a bug or two.

Can't test SATA2 personally so I wouldn't know really. I think previous posts with SATA 2 enabled was between 7-12% or something, but this one really stuck out at 22%.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No probs.

Well, looks like you've got a dead 'un. Is it out of Warranty? If it is at least you get to pull it apart and look inside! Though there's nothing worse than an unplanned reinstall from scratch!

Yea i think its still under warrenty, but the starting from scratchpart i dont mind as much as i used to as i get a chance to try new things each time. I know i can get it going now, the mystery part is over basically. Confidence is key for me. I guess i should get off my keaster and pull out drive, but its working great with 3, so im really in no rush, hehe.

bah, u lost me... all i know, in the RAID setup, i select 16 (stripe or cluster wutever) coz i know windows' cluster/stripe is 4, and lotsa people said getting 4:1 ratio is best. thats all i know :P

Windows uses a default cluster of 4kb so it must be a 16k stripe :D

@RedBeaver (NC/CI) and others.

F10 at boot takes you to RAID setup utility. Mirroring is RAID 1 and Striping is RAID 2. Select Stripe and tab. 2nd box changes Stripe size.

Default/Optimal for stripe is 64. You want to select 16K if you are going to use the Windows "Cluster" default size of 4K. I realize you know this but may help other readers.

22% CPU usage meeans something ain't right somewhere.

Really would help as well if we all made sure the information was filled in the ATTO active window. Never hurts to have all the info. Same deal as sigs.

173557MBsecATTO.JPG

Due to some crazy error, i thought i lost another drive, but apparently i was mistaking a corrupt array, for a bad disc. Re-did it all, and have all 4 drives working once again. ATTO and HDTach are definatly reporting things differantly?

attachment.php?attachmentid=3947&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=3948&stc=1

Nah, its 2.02. I had a heck of a time getting that as it is. ATTO has it hidden really well on there website. I got this from a friend.
You got that right. I tried 3 seperate times to browse their website to find it. I even wrote a little comment on their website and told them about it... after I saw someone having a new version (was it here or maybe some other forum I visit) I tried it again and somehow managed to find it :)

Maybe someone have a link of it in their backpocket? I think it was in a software package of some sort... maybe someone else can elaborate.